La Soleil Royal 1:90 Scale (ZHL) A Bandido Build

I too have this kit in my stash for later in the year when I finish Unicorn. Max threw in the instructional DVD which might help the build. Might be worth asking him. Cheers Francis
In most other kits I have built the instructions are more detailed, but Max did supply English instructions and a DVD:) you will see what I mean when you start the La Soleil build! but it is still a Great Kit!!

Yes Gilbert helped, It has text and a pictorial cd but Max could improve on it in some areas, but figuring things out is half the the fun!!
Now comes the fun stuff 65 cannon bracketsView attachment 288663
Day Three worked on getting the decks installed took a while some sanding and fitting sanding and fitting but all went well painted the decks below black, Had a little issue with the rear bulkhead when I set it yesterday I guess I didn't push it all the way down in a place I lucked out and could get it removed without completely ruining the part, glued the 3 pieces back together and will reinstall tomorrow. a real bone head move!!! Wood is very forgiving there is not much you can't fix! By building any kind of Model you learn to deal with adversity!! the picture below shows the last bulkhead before I discovered it was installed incorrectly if you look closely I used mini Philipps wood screws 1mm x 6mm and wood glue to hold down all the decks, screws worked great no need to clamp! countersunk the heads, and will plank over them, worked very well picture11.JPG++++++++++++++++++picture`12.JPG

My biggest problem area was with the aft gallery. I didn’t get the decks as parallel as I should have. I also placed the rear galleries prior to the side galleries. Big mistake. Never could get everything aligned properly after that. Take your time. Ask questions. There’s a lot of help here. @BigMike , @Mr.Deep , @paulb , @debauchery , @Gilbertm , and @Jay have all started or finished this build, along with me. Each has his own strengths. I’ll be following your build with great interest. I got my popcorn ready!

My biggest problem area was with the aft gallery. I didn’t get the decks as parallel as I should have. I also placed the rear galleries prior to the side galleries. Big mistake. Never could get everything aligned properly after that. Take your time. Ask questions. There’s a lot of help here. @BigMike , @Mr.Deep , @paulb , @debauchery , @Gilbertm , and @Jay have all started or finished this build, along with me. Each has his own strengths. I’ll be following your build with great interest. I got my popcorn ready!
thanks for the heads up I will be dealing with the aft upper decks here shortly

sorry for the confusion
Day four Not much happened today had some honey do's to finish but got a couple of hours in dry-fitted all the upper decks got the aft bulkhead fixed and attached painted all the decks tomorrow I might start planking the decks before I install them. Going to do some reading on deck planking. patterns and technics? Does anyone have any ideas to share it would be greatly appreciated!picture 13 (1).JPGpicture14.JPGpicture 15 (2).JPG

I found your build through the 'weekly digest' email. I'm a new member, and what a great idea the 'weekly digest' is.

Thank you for the 'shop' pics. I see several good ideas to improve my shop. And thank you for posting your build and will be watching with interest.

Why did you paint the decks black?

Last edited:
I would like to build this ZHL ship some day. I found your build through the 'weekly digest' email. I'm a new member, and what a great idea the 'weekly digest' is.

Thank you for the 'shop' pics. I see several good ideas to improve my shop. And thank you for posting your build and will be watching with interest.

Why did you paint the decks black?
For the decks it makes a black or dark base for the deck planking the other areas helps to make sure you do not see any unprepared wood throughout the inside of the ship after construction just a good easy safeguard

For the decks it makes a black or dark base for the deck planking the other areas helps to make sure you do not see any unprepared wood throughout the inside of the ship after construction just a good easy safeguard
I have a question Deck plank lengths for my kit can't find anything what I did read was 20 to 24 feet? anyone who built this kit know

I Bandido
For the deck planking, you should use the smaller teck planks. These are 10-12cm each
See page 3 of my log https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/1669-soleil-royal-zhl.6332/page-3
Day 5 worked on the cannon enclosures over 60 of those made a jig to keep them at a 90 while the glue sets that will take a day or two to get done and began planking the decks used a 3 butt configuration full length 4 3/4 - 2 3/8 - 1/14 looks good! tried to use a pencil to darken the edges of the planks to much work with really no return so I decide not to spend the time! The black paint on the false decks helps! I wish I hadn't installed the center main deck much easier to plank before installed OH WELL Next time!! Gilbert sorry for bothering you about the plank length all I needed to do was READ THE INSTRUCTIONS/ PARTS LIST!!!!

BandidoDay 5 worked on the cannon enclosures over 60 of those made a jig to keep them at a 90 while the glue sets that will take a day or two to get done and began planking the decks used a 3 butt configuration full length 4 3/4 - 2 3/8 - 1/14 looks good! tried to use a pencil to darken the edges of the planks too much work with really no return so I decide not to spend the time! The black paint on the false decks helps! I wish I hadn't installed the center main deck much easier to plank before installed OH WELL Next time!! Gilbert sorry for bothering you about the plank length all I needed to do was READ THE INSTRUCTIONS/ PARTS LIST!!!!
Well, it has been a couple of days since my last post been trying to figure out the bow front I shaped the piece in a mild curve to get the bow sprint to fit correctly but then the cannon support brackets would not fit in behind the not even close! I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what is going on am I not seeing something well to cut a long story short I decided to work on the front bulkhead and open it up to accept the two lower cannon supports, looks a little rough and I need to sure up the lower deck a little but it worked!! My experience in the past is when you need to start modifying things to that extent it is usually a builder error! I also finished all the cannon support brackets and planked a couple of decks, Going to stain the brackets and decide what I will do to the cannons cosmetically probably do a Tamiya Dark Iron with a dry brush accent not sure what will play around with that a bit!!picture16.JPGpicture17.JPGpicture18.JPG

Well, it has been a couple of days since my last post been trying to figure out the bow front I shaped the piece in a mild curve to get the bow sprint to fit correctly but then the cannon support brackets would not fit in behind the not even close! I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what is going on am I not seeing something well to cut a long story short I decided to work on the front bulkhead and open it up to accept the two lower cannon supports, looks a little rough and I need to sure up the lower deck a little but it worked!! My experience in the past is when you need to start modifying things to that extent it is usually a builder error! I also finished all the cannon support brackets and planked a couple of decks, Going to stain the brackets and decide what I will do to the cannons cosmetically probably do a Tamiya Dark Iron with a dry brush accent not sure what will play around with that a bit!!View attachment 289969View attachment 289970View attachment 289971
Good progress bandido
you are moving very fast indeed

Hello.
I bought the basic ZHL USS Bonhomme cross section (much reduced because the box was damaged) and to convert it to the Top level kit.

After 3 months of research (plans, photos et al). I put away the model. I went back 1 month later put it away, so on …. For 18 months. Yesterday : I re looked and straight away saw more problems.

These models can be kit based.
But, they also offer an intermediate build of a fully scratched model.
My advice is never rip the box open and after 2hours begin.
Furthermore, I planned for this model : upgrade to pear, barrel making ( proper way) to blackening etc etc …. Since getting the kit : I now realise I wasted time and money. Plans have not been produced to scale, parts are incorrect, bell & rail are incorrect / poorly figured…..
So, my advice : research plans, history, previous builds and technical info and then have several floating ideas what you want. Before getting the kit.
As my old and dearly missed Master would say: “Think before the cut”. & “Brain 1st, saw last and keep your fingers well clear”.

Sometimes you need to make small item, which leads to …. Then… bit more ….. until the problem self corrected by the build.

Will be an interesting build. I wish you luck!

Furthermore
I sent a grovelling email to ZHL and was surprised when they sent originals in the making photos and clear advice with some problems they overcome!

This helped me to get into their thinking and plan - interesting what they used as treenails blacking to finishes

Cd is ok but ….
Yes …. Instructions are ……
But, we knew this before we purchased : yes?

Here are some tools and documents I use for planking decks, gathered from various sources. Happy planking!

Deck Planking Pattern - Four Butt Shift System.jpg

Deck Planking Styles.jpg

Attachments

• Deck Planking On Wooden Model Ships.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Deck Planking Scale Calculator.xlsx
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Deck Planking.pdf
    626.2 KB · Views: 14
Thank you.
Great technical help.
I use the drawings and does it look right.
With eye on spec.

Technically correct is great unless it is looking wrong to eye or misleading.
As we know scales cannot be relied on : 1:500 scale piston will not be the same as 1:1… especially in output …. yes?

I take the old masters view - they built the shipwright models to show an interpretation / design idea. Then discuss.
Reality
Can be different ….
Of course they knew different hull lines brought differences.

Some of the Administrators had there choices, too.

We not have the original ships - just a would be drawing which changed as work progressed. Even the paint differed - paint it blood red or wait until we get ? From ? No worry about needing the ship.

TTFA and happy building :)

Back