La Soleil Royal 1:90 Scale (ZHL) A Bandido Build

hello i love this model. just wondering what the cost of this ship was? did this include shipping costs? thanks terry
got mine from ZHL.... $400,,, including shipping came to about $535.oo to the states.. Almost two years ago.

hello i love this model. just wondering what the cost of this ship was? did this include shipping costs? thanks terry
Model was $550 did not include shipping I live in the Philippines so shipping was expensive Go to ZHL model site you can get all the costs to your location there

Model was $550 did not include shipping I live in the Philippines so shipping was expensive Go to ZHL model site you can get all the costs to your location there
Well Just finished the base hull planking! It's a little rough in spots but wood putty and sanding will make the hull smooth as a baby's butt Quite the job! But learned a lot about the planking of this model's hull through the help from SOS and first hand. feel I understand the layout and how to tackle the finish planking? I have decided to use a 1mm plank instead of the .5mm ordered from Max at ZHL I am going to use American Cherry and Black Walnut for the lower hull! picture36.JPGpicture37.JPGpicture38.JPG

Well Just finished the base hull planking! It's a little rough in spots but wood putty and sanding will make the hull smooth as a baby's butt Quite the job! But learned a lot about the planking of this model's hull through the help from SOS and first hand. feel I understand the layout and how to tackle the finish planking? I have decided to use a 1mm plank instead of the .5mm ordered from Max at ZHL I am going to use American Cherry and Black Walnut for the lower hull! View attachment 296052View attachment 296053View attachment 296054
Looks nice Bandido
Sanding is always time consuming but definitely worth it.

Looking good Bandido

Just finished the first coat and sand of wood putty on the hull and touchup again in areas needing it will sand again tomorrow but it is close!! View attachment 296975View attachment 296976
Well, I have finished the sanding of the first plank and it looks and feels good! For the last couple of days I have been working on the cannons and there carriages built a small jig to assemble the carriages, I antiqued the cannons using Tamiya black iron airbrushed and then dry brushed with gold leaf top coated them with semi-gloss, looks good!! Been thinking about all the metal bling, bling and going to experiment using the same formula as with the cannons,
looks like I will start assembling the cannon door & latches next, I am waiting for the 1mm planking I ordered from Max at ZHL seems like it takes forever when you are waiting! I decided to go ahead and use 1mm x 6mm for the final plank material I will be using Cherry above and Walnut below. All the interior planking I will be using the .5mm Beech that came with the kit. I will be finishing the wood with Danish Oil! I took a hard look at the scaling issues I might run into by using 1mm on the outside rather than .5 mm and do not see anything I can't alter to fit especially after all the alterations that had to be done with those gunwales openings and cannon brackets anything else I run into will be miner!!!! I have also been looking at how to prepare the final planks from what I have read 1/90 scale planks will be in the 4 to 5" range. I know the planks should be cut to those sizes when applicable but I have also been studying the idea of installing the planks in two lengths 500mm and a finished length I would take each plank and engrave a splice line at each length and drill and install wood nails using toothpicks at each foe butt joint. anyone reading this would appreciate your thoughts. well just spent a 1/2 hour thinking out loud. that is what i love about this site you can do that

Thinking aloud ... that is exactly what I use my build log for too - as a think tank it's a great idea. So how about a few pics of the first planking and the cannon assembly? :)

Thinking aloud ... that is exactly what I use my build log for too - as a think tank it's a great idea. So how about a few pics of the first planking and the cannon assembly? :)
I finally got the camera charged and took a couple of pictures of the first planking and a picture of one of the main deck cannons the cannon picture is not great doesn't show the gold color haven't detailed the wheels and pinned the axles yetDSC_0079 (1).JPGDSC_0078 (1).JPGDSC_0080 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Hi Bandido, thank you for the pics. The hull looks great to receive its second planking and don't worry about the entertainment center :). However, in my opinion, you installed the cannons incorrectly on the carriages. The narrow part of the carriage is normally where the gun barrel rests. Just take a look again at your instructions. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.

Hi Bandido, thank you for the pics. The hull looks great to receive its second planking and don't worry about the entertainment center :). However, in my opinion, you installed the cannons incorrectly on the carriages. The narrow part of the carriage is normally where the gun barrel rests. Just take a look again at your instructions. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.
That is funny the one cannon and carriage I did incorrectly is the one I took the picture of but I did run downstairs right after your comment in a panic thinking did I do that!!!!! but I did them correctly " heart palpitations for a moment!!!" correct picture enclosedDSC_0087 (1).JPG

Good. That is Murphy's Law. Get one wrong and THAT is the picture that you will post. It always work like that! :)

Hi Bandido
1 thing you have to keep in mind is that the Soleil Royal from ZHL is NOT 1/90 scale as indicated on the kit but more like 1/72 scale.
See https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...0-scale-by-paulb-completed-build.4716/page-17 from Paulb
Gilbert Yes, you are correct! I had read that and decided to do some calculations and some reading on the estimated measurements of the ships stats tried to scale them up in the area of the hull length and width mast height, planking width and thickness, rigging blocks, and deadeyes, etc. and it does look closer to the 1/70 scale area? some scaled some didn't? First time I have ever thought about questioning the scale of a ship kit's data?? my decision to use 1mm planking changes the scale in some areas but the planks don't really scale correctly anyway, and the areas that will affect the construction can be altered to fit mainly in the stern, cabin areas, that looks like a nightmare anyway!!! I hope my attempt to build the La Soleil will be as pleasant as yours has been, I must say you have done a great job.

Gilbert Yes, you are correct! I had read that and decided to do some calculations and some reading on the estimated measurements of the ships stats tried to scale them up in the area of the hull length and width mast height, planking width and thickness, rigging blocks, and deadeyes, etc. and it does look closer to the 1/70 scale area? some scaled some didn't? First time I have ever thought about questioning the scale of a ship kit's data?? my decision to use 1mm planking changes the scale in some areas but the planks don't really scale correctly anyway, and the areas that will affect the construction can be altered to fit mainly in the stern, cabin areas, that looks like a nightmare anyway!!! I hope my attempt to build the La Soleil will be as pleasant as yours has been, I must say you have done a great job.
Well spent the day working on the cannons and carriages did some detail painting on them finished assembling to single axle carriages and painted them I have finished painting and detailing the cannon for them but have not installed the cannons to their carriages yet. been reviewing forums on SOS on the cannon rigging and hardware for the French period, only question I might have on that are the size of the rigging pulley and blocks? 663.jpg664.jpgIMG_20220326_112825.jpgIMG_20220326_121322.jpgIMG_20220326_121434.jpg

Well spent the day working on the cannons and carriages did some detail painting on them finished assembling to single axle carriages and painted them I have finished painting and detailing the cannon for them but have not installed the cannons to their carriages yet. been reviewing forums on SOS on the cannon rigging and hardware for the French period, only question I might have on that are the size of the rigging pulley and blocks? View attachment 298696View attachment 298697View attachment 298698View attachment 298699View attachment 298702
The other area I have been working on is the prep work for the second planking I had issues with the base planking as far as achieving all full-length runs from stem to stern with the planking due to the lack of avail space at the bow. I have separated the hull into 4 bands consisting of 4 planks of 6mm wide prelim it looks like I might be able to achieve what I want to do the only issue I can see is the tapers at the bow will be less than 1/2 the width of the 6mm plank so 3mm should be the limit but I will need to lessen that to maybe no less than 2.5 and hopefully of course, the bands IIMG_20220326_170004.jpgIMG_20220326_165956.jpgIMG_20220326_170014.jpgused are not the planks themselves but I think they are close, also to achieve this I will need to start tapering the planks above the bottom gunwale leading to the bow, which initially I did not want to do, but it is what it is!!! I am open to any and all alternatives

The cannons look great - I really like the color of the carriages. Unfortunately, I cannot give you advice on the rigging of them on French ships.

Here is the image of how the French (Continental) cannons were rigged. You can see the relative size of blocks.

1648328838106.png

Back