La Soleil Royal 1:90 Scale (ZHL) A Bandido Build

It took a while but I finally got the lower portion of the hull completed next will be the upper areas this will be tedious but much easier than the lower hull I will be using 1mm Cherry wood which I purchased from Max at ZHL! Been looking at some Ebony wood planking to cover the gunwales instead of painting the gunwales black or staining them a dark color?? ?? the stuff is $$$! but I think it will look good! I am trying my best to stay away from painting the beautiful wood!! except of course the upper areas I have been looking at using royal blue! It has crossed my mind just to leave that area of natural cherry wood?

View attachment 303902View attachment 303903View attachment 303904
Very well done Bandido
It looks just great

I got one side of the final planking completed!! looks pretty good I think! Back while ago I decided to do the ship's planking in black walnut and Cherry well I ordered enough walnut but not enough Cherry! You should always order more than enough but I didn't I guess it comes with age!! So I had to order 25 more pcs. a $20 shipping cost! To make the order worth the shipping cost I also ordered all new wood rods for the masts and cross trees in Red Birch. Attached are 2 pictures one dry and the other wet to show the future color of the woods. If you look closely at the lower Gun openings you see no frames! I decided to make the openings have a more smooth appearance rather than square?

IMG_20220424_143326.jpgIMG_20220424_143636.jpg

I got one side of the final planking completed!! looks pretty good I think! Back while ago I decided to do the ship's planking in black walnut and Cherry well I ordered enough walnut but not enough Cherry! You should always order more than enough but I didn't I guess it comes with age!! So I had to order 25 more pcs. a $20 shipping cost! To make the order worth the shipping cost I also ordered all new wood rods for the masts and cross trees in Red Birch. Attached are 2 pictures one dry and the other wet to show the future color of the woods. If you look closely at the lower Gun openings you see no frames! I decided to make the openings have a more smooth appearance rather than square?

View attachment 304864View attachment 304865
Good Morning- agreed looks lovely in fact a very good job done. Shipping costs- I know the feeling. The guys in US and Europe are spoilt for choice and cost- I think they should sponsor guys who live in beautiful out of the way countries like South Africa and the Philippines...;)ROTF. Cheers Grant

Good Morning- agreed looks lovely in fact a very good job done. Shipping costs- I know the feeling. The guys in US and Europe are spoilt for choice and cost- I think they should sponsor guys who live in beautiful out of the way countries like South Africa and the Philippines...ROTF. Cheers Grant;)
yes I am in agreement:):)

Good Morning- agreed looks lovely in fact a very good job done. Shipping costs- I know the feeling. The guys in US and Europe are spoilt for choice and cost- I think they should sponsor guys who live in beautiful out of the way countries like South Africa and the Philippines...;)ROTF. Cheers Grant
I'll sponsor you Grant.
But then I want visiting privileges to check on my investment! ROTF

still working on the planking finished one side and installed the what I call the side rails I wanted to purchase ebony 2mmx 7.5mm but could not find the stock So I was looking at Donnie's Druid build and He used Speedball super India black ink he said it was the closest thing to ebony that he has tried so I will try it on the rails!! I also was thinking about when I get to the mast and Yards a job I do not care for tapering them, especially on this kit as there are many and the lengths are BIG!!!!! I have tried the hand drill method on other ships with little success, ended up tapering by hand but with the size of these as far as I am concerned that's are out of the question!! So I have decided to purchase a small wood lathe one large enough to accommodate the long dowels for this kit I found in Manila for 8600 Pesos or $170 not too bad, I enclosed a picture of the lathe. will use it on the Druid when I start that build sometime next year!

965.jpg966.jpg

still working on the planking finished one side and installed the what I call the side rails I wanted to purchase ebony 2mmx 7.5mm but could not find the stock So I was looking at Donnie's Druid build and He used Speedball super India black ink he said it was the closest thing to ebony that he has tried so I will try it on the rails!! I also was thinking about when I get to the mast and Yards a job I do not care for tapering them, especially on this kit as there are many and the lengths are BIG!!!!! I have tried the hand drill method on other ships with little success, ended up tapering by hand but with the size of these as far as I am concerned that's are out of the question!! So I have decided to purchase a small wood lathe one large enough to accommodate the long dowels for this kit I found in Manila for 8600 Pesos or $170 not too bad, I enclosed a picture of the lathe. will use it on the Druid when I start that build sometime next year!

View attachment 306073View attachment 306075
Once you have a lathe or drill press, I know a fast way to taper yardarms using two sanding blocks. You should be able to make one yard every 15 minutes using this method. Read about it in my build log: Yardarm Tapering

The above pictures will not enlarge they stay as a thunb nail??

Day Number two Attached all the Bulkheads to the Keel, actually went pretty easy parts fit good. spent some time on the bow area of the ship trying to figure out how to get the bowsprit to align with the front section of the ship? I did a lot of reading and figured out that curving the wall section resolves the issue I had to do a small amount of filing but it fits!! I will tell you one thing the instructions for this model are just about nonexistent!!! They could have done a little better job! For those of you who have built this ship, I have a question? Part #18 looks like a rudder I can not find anything mentioning or showing the piece in the instructions. Don't know where it goes??View attachment 288655View attachment 288660View attachment 288656View attachment 288659
It is the rudder. You have to plank it or use veneer. I will use walnut veneer to match the keel.

Somehow I missed your log. I saw it once, but the notifications stopped. On my log you can find a lot of the issues I ran into. For example, the support boxes for the guns didn’t fit in the front and several other areas. For the front chase guns, I shortened the boxes and drilled holes in them big enough to push the guns further in. I’ll be watching more closely now that I’ve come across your build again. You’re doing nice work.

Thought i would post something on my build its been awhile Been working on the poop decks and choose a blue for the upper portions of the hull and poop, been kind of a struggle choosing a color, looked at many models of the le soleil and decide to mix my own color!!! its a little dark but it will do, as Blue is not my favorite color anyway!!! The construction of the poops are not bad once you ignore the almost worthless plans and build them to fit! I also worked on all the metal hardware, Painting then Bronze and will high light with gold using the dry brush method. The metal is going to be a pain to install and the ship will weigh a ton! Wish someone had a upgrade kit for the hardware made from resin or natural wood?? I have looked but know luck! anyway its good to be back on the build_DSC0094.JPG_DSC0096.JPG_DSC0098.JPG_DSC0095.JPG_DSC0097.JPG

Thought i would post something on my build its been awhile Been working on the poop decks and choose a blue for the upper portions of the hull and poop, been kind of a struggle choosing a color, looked at many models of the le soleil and decide to mix my own color!!! its a little dark but it will do, as Blue is not my favorite color anyway!!! The construction of the poops are not bad once you ignore the almost worthless plans and build them to fit! I also worked on all the metal hardware, Painting then Bronze and will high light with gold using the dry brush method. The metal is going to be a pain to install and the ship will weigh a ton! Wish someone had a upgrade kit for the hardware made from resin or natural wood?? I have looked but know luck! anyway its good to be back on the buildView attachment 321128View attachment 321129View attachment 321130View attachment 321131View attachment 321132
Looks nice Bandido
Great to see you back on the shipuard

Back