L'Amarante 1747 from ANCRE monograph in 1:36 - by Bill-R

Hello everyone,

My order from ANCRE arrived today. I placed the order on 06-04-2022 ( which was a Saturday) and it arrived today!!! That was nine days from France. I live in Florida. You can't do any better than that. It would take that long to order something from my own state. Thank you ANCRE and the mail services for the unbelievable response.

I have just started going through all of the information that was in my package. I am going to have a lot of reading in front of me before starting the actual build. As I have mentioned in a different thread, a scratch build will be new for me. I have built one ship model from a kit and I didn't feel I ran into any concerns. I have been scratch building aircraft models from plans for the past 25 years, so hopefully this will help me along. This something that I have always wanted to do and I finally have the opportunity do it. One thing about me is that I am not shy about taking up a challenge. But then again, I do remember as a child jumping into the deep end of a pool before I knew how to swim. :)

I am very much so looking forward to starting this new adventure.

Before I get started, I would like to say thanks to all of the members that have made me feel welcome in my short time I have been a member of Ships of Scale.

Thanks,
Bill

Am - 1.jpg

Hallo Bill,
good to hear that you received the monograph of the L´Amarante so fast. Also the book written by Sorolla will help on your project.
May I ask in which scale you plan to build the Amarante? I know, that this planset is available in 1:24, 1:36 and in also 1:48......

Hello everyone,

I chose 1:36 scale for several reasons. For me. I find that a larger scale is easier to make parts for the ship. At smaller scales, I personally find it difficult to make good quality pieces. I am amazed at the ability of builders that can create masterpieces in such small scales. Also, a ship at a size of 80 to 110cm produces a model that is pleasing to my eye. Lastly, once I have finished my build, I will have to display it.

Bill

Hi Rick and Hoss,

Welcome aboard. Thanks for looking in. As this is my first scratch build, I am trying to absorb all of the information that came with my monograph. There is a lot more information than I had thought there would be. I am also doing an inventory of my wood working tools and it looks like I will be a few more. That’s always a good thing.

I have been spending quite a bit of time going through the fantastic build threads on this site. It is amazing at how many master craftsmen there are on this site. I feel honored to be just a small part of this site.

Thanks,
Bill

Hello everyone,

My order from ANCRE arrived today. I placed the order on 06-04-2022 ( which was a Saturday) and it arrived today!!! That was nine days from France. I live in Florida. You can't do any better than that. It would take that long to order something from my own state. Thank you ANCRE and the mail services for the unbelievable response.

I have just started going through all of the information that was in my package. I am going to have a lot of reading in front of me before starting the actual build. As I have mentioned in a different thread, a scratch build will be new for me. I have built one ship model from a kit and I didn't feel I ran into any concerns. I have been scratch building aircraft models from plans for the past 25 years, so hopefully this will help me along. This something that I have always wanted to do and I finally have the opportunity do it. One thing about me is that I am not shy about taking up a challenge. But then again, I do remember as a child jumping into the deep end of a pool before I knew how to swim. :)

I am very much so looking forward to starting this new adventure.

Antes de comenzar, me gustaría dar las gracias a todos los miembros que me han hecho sentir bienvenido en el poco tiempo que he sido miembro de Ships of Scale.

Gracias,
Factura

View attachment 313666
La piscina estaba llena o vacía?

Hello everyone,

I have been familiarizing myself with the monograph and I have several basic questions. I am trying to determine how much wood I will need to build this ship. To the best I can determine, it’s just a matter of using the drawings to get an estimation of the amount of wood that is needed. Is that correct? Also, I have been reading about the different woods that are used. Is basswood an acceptable wood? Some of the other choices of wood appears to be in short supply. The ship kit that I am finishing up uses mostly basswood.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Hello everyone,

I have been familiarizing myself with the monograph and I have several basic questions. I am trying to determine how much wood I will need to build this ship. To the best I can determine, it’s just a matter of using the drawings to get an estimation of the amount of wood that is needed. Is that correct? Also, I have been reading about the different woods that are used. Is basswood an acceptable wood? Some of the other choices of wood appears to be in short supply. The ship kit that I am finishing up uses mostly basswood.

Thanks for your help.

Bill
a pure question of personal taste. Personally I would not use basswood, because of the colour and the grain, but this a subjective opinion. I would choose for such a scratch build pear. It is more expensive, yes, but working on such a model will take maybe 2 or even 3 years.
The quantity you need:
you will need first the keel and als related parts and the frames, everything else can wait in moment for several more months, so you can order the wood for other parts much later. Knowing this you can meassure the thickness of the keel and frames, so you know the thickness of the wooden sheets you need.
And you have to decide with which construction method you will produce the frames or frame parts - based on this you can somehow estimate the necessary area of wooden sheets in different thicknesses. I would order some 20% or so more..... to have enough material if you have to re-do some parts

Hello Uwek and Shota70,

Thanks for the reply and likes.

Uwek. That’s the direction I was thinking to determine how much wood I will need. I will look to find a supplier of pear wood.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Hello Bill I used pear. You need a 7mm thick board for the keel, for the frames I needed 11 boards (4.5mm x 100mm x 1000mm) that's enough for you. You get about 8-10 double pairs per board. I wouldn't recommend Linde because it's way too soft. Alternatively, you can also use cherry or American maple. But that's entirely up to you as @Uwek said. For the inside of the keelson you don't need 7 mm but 3.5 mm because it is in 2 parts.

Hello Tobias,

Thanks for the great information. This should keep me going for quite a while.

Thanks,
Bill

You can assume that, I started at the beginning of February and still have 6 frames to build. So almost 3 months construction time and a break of about 6 weeks. So you have enough time.

Hello everyone,

May I ask a quick question. I have been looking for woods to use for my build. I like the look of cherry and it appears to be available. I have heard that cherry is a good wood for building. Does cherry have good bending quality. As a footnote, in my younger days, I made custom skateboards and used cherry. The wood made for a beautiful skateboard.

Thanks,
Bill

Good morning Bill, unfortunately I have no experience with cherry wood. But I can well imagine that it is similar to pear because both woods are almost the same in density. I think your question relates to the planks, as far as I have this right in my head we are there at 0.4mm - 0.7mm so that should go very well with watering the planks.

Back