Latina 1/65 Carabela Santa Maria build log

Usually I turned them down on a little hobby lathe from harbor freight but I ended up getting rid of that Machine. I now have a full size Atlas but its really to large for this little stuff so here is how I do it I bought a Drill press I lay the press down so it looks like a lathe. I use a files to rough in the taper because its faster then just sand paper and it doesn't burn your fingers up from the friction. I put the Dowel in the Chuck loosely tightened you don't want to crank down on it and crush the wood or cause it to wobble in the chuck I lay my fingers on the end and then a fine side of a rasp file to remove bulk quickly. Notice the file is at a 45 degree angle to the part this helps prevent gouging the wood out which you never want to do with tiny dowels like we use for ship Models. I keep a file Brush handy for cleaning out any wood that gets lodged in the files teeth, but at the 45 Degree angle there will rarely be any.
20180827_103921.jpg20180827_103914.jpg
I start at the tip work towards the base I work the first inch with two passes towards the base then go tip up to 2 inches for 2 passes then 3 then 4 and so on this helps build the taper from tip to base I do this until I'm close to my target diameter then I switch to sand paper to finalize and smooth the dowel
20180827_104005.jpg20180827_103958.jpg20180827_104037.jpg
When your done you un-chuck the part and clean the base with sandpaper unless its going through the deck then you can just leave it as you wont see it anyhow. This is the Bowsprit and its yard for the Santa Maria. This is the fastest and easiest way I know to do them without a lathe. You could do this with the Press standing, but its harder and I have done this using a hand drill as well locked into my bench vice. The benefit of using a Drill press over a hand drill is the chuck is deeper so the small yards fit to the half way point for a 1/2" chuck you can do the same if you have a 1/2" hand Drill it should also have a deeper chuck then a 3/8 drill will but 1/2 hand drills are pretty beastly in torque, most Presses have a soft start. I did all the masts and yards for this ship in about 25 min. with this method. You can find bench top drill presses fairly cheep now days. The one I have for the bench is a Ryobi I picked up at home depot for $90 on sale maybe 3 years ago.

Masts and Yards assembled. I'll be at the sprint store tomorrow getting my phone checked out because its not saving Pictures I take all the time Here is what I have. Masts will be installed tomorrow and I can then get onto my favorite part of ship building and that is the Rigging lines. I love making the Rat lines and snaking everything into the Blocks and getting it tied off on deck. I know its the most demanding part of a build, but I just love doing it.20180827_202544.jpg20180827_202731.jpg

G'day epicdoom
Brilliant job. Just found this log and had a great time reading and seeing your progress. Well done.
Havagoodone and happymodeling to you and your assistant.
Greg

Thank you Greg
More progress today and now I have a phone that saves pictures Gees you would figure for what they charge for a Galaxy S9+ it would work as advertised.
Installed 2 of the Mainmast Shroud lines today. This is the part that is monotonous so I wont bore you with more of the same till they are complete and ready for ratlines. This is how I start my Shroud lines. First I serve the deadeye into the shroud line 20180828_191410.jpg20180828_192227.jpg20180828_192807.jpg
I use these bead Thread tools for some of the work but for deadeyes I just put a drop of CA on the end of my thread to stiffen it about 1/8" from the end and I use that to thread the deadeyes up to the point I pull it through where the shroud line meets the top of the deadeye as pictured
20180828_194112.jpg20180828_193119.jpg20180828_193146.jpg20180828_193503.jpg20180828_194050.jpg
I wrap the deadeye thread around the top of the deadeye and tie it off. Later I'll come back and serve some of the line up the shroud to cover the Black thread. but I'll wait till all the shroud lines are installed before I do that because this ship gets a Timber Ratline so that will be served in at that point starting right where I left off with the tan thread.

Attachments

• 20180828_191425.jpg
    20180828_191425.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1
cant wait to get to the Black Pearl lol I've wanted to build that ship for a long time there will be some custom work done on it. I want the stern lights and Captain's quarters lit up. I will be using Plastic sheet on the windows and trying to give them a slight yellowish look to create a warm lighting effect. If that doesn't work I'll order some Warm range LED's

Thanks for showing how to shape the Masts and Spars, it's given me a few ideas. It's a great looking ship and I've enjoyed watching you build her #,

Cheers Andy

This was a very fast progress with a very good result - and on deck there are already the barrels with rum waiting for the party :cool:

Thank You, for the complements this ship was a rush job. I didn't add any details to this ship it was just a quick build as a gift. The Black Pearl however will have a lot of nice stuff going on in that build. I have the Victory, President, and Santa Ana waiting to be built those will get a lot of detail and I'm looking at the Constellation for a detailed build as well. I have a ton of thin copper Sheet and Tape so some Hulls will get copper clad. I want to build the Constellation pretty bad because its sitting in the harbor in my city so I can go there, board it, take a ton of pictures and then put My Mavic Pro drone up in the air and look at all the rigging, crows nests and what not. If I do that ship and I probably will I'll be custom making all the blocks and rigging fixtures for the most realistic looking build I can make. I have a 3D printer and a home foundry so any ornamental stuff I can scan, 3D print and use that as a form to pour those parts in Aluminum or Brass.

Well, I wish my rush jobs look like that. That is beautiful. Excellent. BTW, I prefer rigging the best. I don’t like planking.

So,,,Joe,,,I thought I would come over here and take another peek. Man alive!!! I think that I should try and reach YOUR abilities. This is far better and cleaner than what I can achieve.

Back