Le Coureur 1776 CAF Model by OT1138

Well, I just did the exact same thing with frame 34! I beveled the top step of the B parts and took just a smidge off the bottom of the A piece (< 1/16"). I then placed the two steps underneath the deck and slid the frame in place... with a loud snap, just as you noted.

Getting it out... I guess we'll find out how that goes pretty soon because I need to repeat the process with frames 34 and 35.

1604173135783.png

1604173179861.png
1604173205795.png

First goal for today is to remake frames 26-29. Took awhile of patiently dipping them in acetone and prying them apart, cleaning then regluing.

Second is to get frames 37 to fit. They simply will not pop in place. Spent about an hour fairing and taking photos to figure out what was stopping the port frame. Couldn't figure it out.

1604262031375.png

In the end, I had to accept that either the jig is still not quite correct (in which case, I might be screwed no matter what) or the piece is too big. So after snapping the upper end of the frame off and regluing, I sanded it down a smidge and finally got it to fit.

1604262167238.png

Followed an identical process with the starboard side (also snapping the top of the frame off twice) and finally got it to fit.

1604262255079.png

Fit frames 38 and 39 but ran into a problem with 40. It will not hit the bottom of the counter frames but rather, is intercepted by the lower "shelf". Everything is well fit in the jig, so this makes me wonder if it might actually be bad. One of the slots in the stern area was cut in the wrong place and one of the measuring sticks overlaps with a frame.

Not sure if I should mount 40 to the lower shelf or if I should cut a notch in the shelf so that the frame can pass through it.

1606141049257.png

Fit frames 38 and 39 but ran into a problem with 40. It will not hit the bottom of the counter frames but rather, is intercepted by the lower "shelf". Everything is well fit in the jig, so this makes me wonder if it might actually be bad. One of the slots in the stern area was cut in the wrong place and one of the measuring sticks overlaps with a frame.

Not sure if I should mount 40 to the lower shelf or if I should cut a notch in the shelf so that the frame can pass through it.

View attachment 194708
Take a look at mine (you can find these photos also in my building log) - so I adjusted the small frame sitting partly on top of the counter frame and partly on the "lower" shelf -> Important is the fact, that the frame 40 is parallel with 39
IMG-4887.jpg IMG-4888.jpg

IMG-4889.jpg IMG-4890.jpg

Hope this is helping

Agreed that it needs to be parallel... the photo above shows it just sitting there out of position.

I think it makes sense to adjust the horizontal timbers to accommodate #40.

Some sad news to report. While I did manage to get port frame #40 mounted, one of our crew members suffered a horrible accident and fell off the boatslip. But thanks to the miracles of modern 18th century medicine, he is almost as good as new.

1606230050940.png

Back