Le Coureur 1776, CAF model by Sisco

The first bulkhrads on contruction
the system that I found most practical was to glue with a double-sided tape to the template a tape paper which is weakly adhesive
so it is easy to precisely position the pieces
for the glue nstead I spread a veil of glue on an old tile then put the edge of the strip in contact and everything is very clean (well.. almost)

hello Poul nothing escapes you!
the head of the nails is about 1 mn which in scale makes a head of 4.8 ... may be you are right ... that's a bit much
that said in 1700 hand made nails had a very big head .Once I found one in an old 1600ruined Monastery look like the one in the picture
Even on the Wasa at Stockolm nails have that dimensions but nails were very espansive and often sera user instead a sort of thinner Wood nails
the question i...in my modest opinion ..is
were iron hand made nails used there ...or a thinnerWoods gusset ?
I Think that they are however realistic ..at least possible

Very good progress - and your "walls" are looking very good. I think also the nailing of the well - these walls had to keep away the ballast stones from the mast foot, so I guess they were stronger nails like nails of normal interior walls.

Referring the used nails of interior walls on the original ships, I would like to show a very interesting paper of the Queensland Museum with title "Memoirs of the Queensland Museum" - "ILLUSTRATED CATALOGUE OF ARTEFACTS FROM THE HMS PANDORA WRECKSITE EXCAVATIONS 1977-1995" by Janet Campbell and Peter Gesner, showing in detail the found artefacts of the HMS Pandora, a 24-gun Porcupine-class sixth-rate post ship of the Royal Navy launched in May 1779 and sunk in 1791.

nails.JPG

nails2.JPG

Like @sisco already mentioned iron and copper were very expensive, so they produced already iron nails in the real necessary size - so for interior walls seems they used at the Pandora square headed nails with lengths between 5 to 7 cm and head diameter of 3 to 6mm which means only 0,1mm head in scale 1:48, which is more or less impossible to show scale-correct in the model. Therefore I imitate the nails only with a small punch with the head of a scriber.

Attachments

• HMS Pandora Artefacts.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 13
also sprach die Meister!
after all ... One does not become Meister for nothing!!
So far ..
I removed the nails and filled the holes with dark brown touch up wax normally used by antique furniture restorers
I am more satisfied with the result...as well.as having learned new things. Thank you all for your useful comment !

Very good step
If I compare before and after - the new "version" is looking much much better - and if you oild the timber later, the small "wooden" nails are getting slightly more dominant -> very good result

le coureur_8_12a.jpg Combat_de_la_Belle_Poule_et_de_l'Aréthusa1.jpg

and I like yours more than my version
IMG-5004a.jpg

your nails with round head are very good for the imitating of bolts

another small step certainly nothing special or different from what has already been posted by Uwek but after ten days of rain and bad weather ... a ray of sunshine suddenly entered my atelier ... and I couldn't resist taking a picture

Yes I know .. it's a bit early to think about rigging
But I couldn't resist the temptation.
About fifteen years ago I had created a ropewalk based on some model I had found on the web.
..and it worked fine too
But looking at it---
one day .. I said to myself "It is really rough and it is certainly not up to the modelers who attend the forumship of scale".
So I thought about doing it again in a more glamorous version
This is the original prototype ( here also a little bit cannibalized )
le coureur_19_12-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
his is the final result of the new one

I mostly used recycled materials and precious wood veneers left over from previous works .. the cost was about 25/30 euros.

I think it is legitimate of you to ask if I am a smart modeler ..or not ( be generous in your response as we are close to Christmas ! ) considering that
I went from a "maximum result with minimum effort" solution to a "maximum effort for minimum result" solution. In fact it cost me a lot of work and ... weaves the cords no more and no less than the one I had before ..
These are the results ...

sorry for the digression regarding the theme of this log but I enjoyed it so much! Maybe someone else would like to do it!
Now I get back to work and go back to serious things. ( Le Coureur )

Back