Le Coureur 1776, model 1:48 by Adi

Really very good details my friend - The idea with the tap and the bucket is very good and a really nice detail.
I understood you in this way, that only one barrel will get a tap.....
Your model is getting step by step to a real very GOOD model Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

For the final arrangement:
I hope the barrel and the firewood is not fixed and only temporary arranged to show the detail, because you have to add still the ballast.
Either with the covered ballast room like prepared by the kit and the contemporary drawings (british period) or somehow open (french period).
So I think, that the water barrel can not be fitted on top of the keelson.
Hallo Uwe, there are boxes under the barrel, there might not be any cargo in there, could there be ballast? I could also imagine that the ship sails empty in any case with ballast, if it is full to bursting only with little. But I could be wrong.

Hallo Uwe, there are boxes under the barrel, there might not be any cargo in there, could there be ballast? I could also imagine that the ship sails empty in any case with ballast, if it is full to bursting only with little. But I could be wrong.
I am also not sure.

Just for brainstorming:
The Le Coureur was a very fast (a lot of sail area) and very light constructed ship, usually used close to shore lines, so she was not on longer trips f.e. to America or Asia, but sailing around England and France. Short trips only. And in some harbours there were maybe also no ballast stones available, to load and to reload was I think much to much work. And these fast ships were also often used as pure massenger service.....

Therefore I guess, that they would not often add or reduce the necessary balast in the hold.
But because of her massive big sail area and light construction, I am pretty sure that she needed ballast in the hold otherwise she would easily capsize especially in the often bad weather conditions in the region.

When you take a look at the sideview - the blue line is the waterline when she was fully loaded
2aa.jpg
Defintely ballast was necessary to keep the center of gravity definitely lower than the waterline - in all weather conditions and all angles of inclination the ship could come

This is brainstorming based on the technical points, at the end it will be also or totaly the question of subjective taste, how you want to present your model......

Just for brainstorming:
Defintely ballast was necessary to keep the center of gravity definitely lower than the waterline - in all weather conditions and all angles of inclination the ship could come

This is brainstorming based on the technical points, ...
Could it be that the barrel and the firewood would not necessarily be in conflict with ballast?
Looking at other French sail ships, with a large sail area, e.g. Beneteau or Jeanneau, most of them do come with options for ballast in a lead bulb, or in a retractable centreboard. From a scientific viewpoint not even mathematical truths are absolutely certain, so can we be certain that Daniel Denys or his cousin Jacques François were not the inventer of, and the very first to implement, a canting keel with hydrofoil effect ? :D

Last edited:
Back