Le Coureur a 1:48 model from CAF by JEEP

"viola" in she go's

sounds so easy ...... looking very good Thumbsup

Inside planking is now complete, Positioned the mast step and built the sled as a diversion. I think at tis point I will remove from the jig
as I see no further need for it, and will start numbering the siding boards as per Uwek's suggestion.

15.jpeg

16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A very tedious stage of the build. Each plank must have a custom fit. One or two of my frames did not match exactly, (due to earlier breakage) and led to
more then a few woes. This did show me the importance of having everything framed properly at the beginning. With a bit of slicing and dicing I was
able to make it work, but really , who needs that. The opposite side looks quite good , that is the one I should have fully framed. Oh well.

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite nice! And same here... my planks have been far from perfect. But when I set it down for a few days and look again, the work is quite remarkable.

We are our own worst critics :)

I think it looks really good and if the frames looks better at the starboard side it should not annoy you that you planked the port side. On the contrary, nobody can see how the frames looks when they are fully planked. so it is good if the better looking side of the frames is the one where the frames are visible.

May I ask, how much time do you spend per week on this? I think you started almost 2 months later than me and yet you are already several months ahead of me.

Start of second side. This will be partial.
Very good progress and result - and like Poul already mentioned: You are very fast !!

Quite nice! And same here... my planks have been far from perfect. But when I set it down for a few days and look again, the work is quite remarkable.
We are our own worst critics :)
Often we are more critical referring our own work, because we see the model every day in a macro view - so we know often very well the unperfect areas.
Nevertheless we are also often blind to see something, so it is often good to have friends, which give hints and comments about mistakes etc.
Constructive criticism about the own model is helping the modeler, but also all others.

On the contrary, nobody can see how the frames looks when they are fully planked. so it is good if the better looking side of the frames is the one where the frames are visible.
You are right. Sometimes you do not know, what is visible and which parts not....... so there is one way to prepare everything as perfect as possible, or cleaning and final preparing afterwards only the visible parts.
To be honest: It is often a mixture of everything.......

Hello Poul................. I work about 4 hours in the afternoons on my model. Being retired and with our Covid restrictions I have the time.
In BC we are discouraged travel, even in our own Provence. ( like being in jail ). Keep in mind that I have not done a thing on the interior as yet, just trying to get through the #@%@X planking. I like your work, I think it will turn out very nice.

complete ballast box. with bulkheads 2 & 3. Error on bulkhead #2 sitting 2cm too high on deck beam but easy to correct, must leave room for deck supports. Also had to make sure planks on box set close enough otherwise little ballast rocks will be flying all over the place. I just grabbed pea-gravel from our path.

complete ballast box. with bulkheads 2 & 3. Error on bulkhead #2 sitting 2cm too high on deck beam but easy to correct, must leave room for deck supports. Also had to make sure planks on box set close enough otherwise little ballast rocks will be flying all over the place. I just grabbed pea-gravel from our path.
Sounds very good - and we hope that you show us the status also with some photos ......

Hello Poul................. I work about 4 hours in the afternoons on my model. Being retired and with our Covid restrictions I have the time.
In BC we are discouraged travel, even in our own Provence. ( like being in jail ). Keep in mind that I have not done a thing on the interior as yet, just trying to get through the #@%@X planking. I like your work, I think it will turn out very nice.

Well, I just got retired yesterday and I thought that I also will have lots of time to spend with my models.....little did I know that my wife popped out a “honey do list”.
I think she is going to have to wait.

Well, I just got retired yesterday and I thought that I also will have lots of time to spend with my models.....little did I know that my wife popped out a “honey do list”.
I think she is going to have to wait.
Hope she didn't read your post, LOL I always help my Admiral with 'her' to-do list.. in my spare time, though. :p

Well let me just say retirement is everything it's cracked up to be except you still don't have time to do all your stuff. But you better listen to the Boss, or else no more toys for youuuuu......
Congratulations.

oh... forgot my photos.

29.jpg30.JPG31.JPG32.JPG

Well let me just say retirement is everything it's cracked up to be except you still don't have time to do all your stuff. But you better listen to the Boss, or else no more toys for youuuuu......
Congratulations.

oh... forgot my photos.

Thank you Jeep
I’ll take your advice, I surely want more toys.
498232E4-FE21-44A3-937F-DDD437A881AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back