LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Many Thanks for your kind comments and all the likes received

all eight guns are now prepared.
Only the quoins (wedge), which are already also prepared, are missing on the carriages, but with them I will fix the angles of the muzzles.
The tackles I will install before I finally fix them on the deck - I have still to decide when I will do this (before or after the masts and rigging)

IMG-7382.jpg

IMG-7383.jpg

IMG-7384.jpg

IMG-7385.jpg

IMG-7386.jpg

IMG-7387.jpg

In an earlier post the question came up, if the muzzles are maybe too long for the carriages.
Here you can see a comparison with the Boudriot drawing

IMG-7388.jpg

I don't know if having the gun carriages done to this point is the easy or hard part compared to all the fine work needed to complete the rigging.

They look grand, and I await your images when you show them fully rigged and installed.

Are you going to rig for battle, or stowed tight to the bulkheads for in port and rough seas?

Many Thanks for all your comments, hints, likes and all the friendship :cool:
I am still in Colombia for some more days, so my photos from today are "stock"-photos from two weeks ago

All eight carriages prepared for the marriage with the muzzles
View attachment 263755

View attachment 263756

In order to fix the muzzle also the metal parts have to be blackened

View attachment 263753

to get a feeling for the size please compare with the toothpick

View attachment 263754

The first gun where the muzzle is fixed with the capsquare

View attachment 263757

View attachment 263758

View attachment 263759

View attachment 263760

Now the mass-production of the other seven guns can start
Amazing detail at that scale! Great job! ;)

The guns as the units look really good. One tip you may try on barrels (if you choose to accept it). Take graphite on the tips of your fingers and lightly (gentle) rub the barrel, Or, take a very soft brush and use light motion to cover with graphite powder. You may like the results... ;)

The guns as the units look really good. One tip you may try on barrels (if you choose to accept it). Take graphite on the tips of your fingers and lightly (gentle) rub the barrel, Or, take a very soft brush and use light motion to cover with graphite powder. You may like the results... ;)
Thats a great idea Jim. The graphite will give a more realistic look.

Many Thanks for all your kind words and also the hint with the graphite powder.
I was also thinking about this (I have some powder in my workshop) also, still I am not sure to use it.
When you take f.e. a look at the guns on the HMS Victory, especially the guns on the main deck (not exposed to weather) are all shiny.
Also in museum contemporary guns are matt or shiny - at the end it is a question of taste - and I am not sure about my personal taste ......

For now I will make my last post in my building log before traveling back to Austria - and also for the moment the last related to the guns - next posts will be the ship´s boat - a small project in the project...... See you soon

Here now some impressions of the guns on the deck (still not fixed and adjusted)

IMG-7367.jpg

IMG-7370.jpg

IMG-7372.jpg

IMG-7373.jpg

IMG-7375.jpg

IMG-7389.jpg

IMG-7390.jpg

IMG-7391.jpg

IMG-7392.jpg

IMG-7393.jpg

somehow I like them shiny ......

IMG-7395.jpg

Many Thanks for all your kind words and also the hint with the graphite powder.
I was also thinking about this (I have some powder in my workshop) also, still I am not sure to use it.
When you take f.e. a look at the guns on the HMS Victory, especially the guns on the main deck (not exposed to weather) are all shiny.
Also in museum contemporary guns are matt or shiny - at the end it is a question of taste - and I am not sure about my personal taste ......

For now I will make my last post in my building log before traveling back to Austria - and also for the moment the last related to the guns - next posts will be the ship´s boat - a small project in the project...... See you soon

Here now some impressions of the guns on the deck (still not fixed and adjusted)

View attachment 264312

View attachment 264313

View attachment 264314

View attachment 264315

View attachment 264316

View attachment 264317

View attachment 264318

View attachment 264319

View attachment 264320

View attachment 264321

somehow I like them shiny ......

View attachment 264322
it's looks amazing :DThumbsup

Many Thanks for the comments and likes received
And also many thanks for the wishes received for a safe trip back to Vienna - it worked, the pilot was flying not so fast and also had no accident with birds or other planes - so I am back in sweet Austria (which also can see on the country flag near my avatar)

Are you going to rig for battle, or stowed tight to the bulkheads for in port and rough seas?
Hallo Kurt,
not to forget to answer your comment - I think, that the guns were never stowed parallel to the bulkhead, but every time in 90° angle to the bulkhead, and fully out at the gunport as much as possible, so that the front wheel were in contact with the waterway (like shown on the last photos)
So at the end, there will be only a small difference with the tackles, showing stowed or ready for action.....

now coming to the small project inside the project.

As content of the kit there is also the ships boat, which can be either stowed on the deck or theoreticaly also towed behind the ship

Let us shortly read, what Jean Boudriot is telling us about the boat
IMG-7449.jpg

and the drawing

IMG-7411.jpg

Content of the kit, but also offered by CAF separatly (for other projects and ships usable) is the standard boat

here the manual so you can better imagine the work with this boat

IMG-7450.jpg IMG-7451.jpg

IMG-7452.jpg IMG-7453.jpg

So let us start with the small jig which prepared not any problem - you can see the notches for the individual frames

IMG-7402.jpg

and fixed - a small job of less than 5 to 10 minutes

IMG-7404.jpg

but now the very fragile work will start - here the prepared keel of the boat with already attached stern - the frames are appr. 1mm in square - made out of very fine and riggid plywood - normal timber would brake easily

IMG-7403.jpg

The keel insatlled in the jig

IMG-7405.jpg

and all frames in place - I decided not to remove the laser char now, because the frames could break with a certain pressure. This can be done also later when the planking is done and each frame is fixed

IMG-7407.jpg

IMG-7409.jpg

IMG-7408.jpg

IMG-7410.jpg

to be continued ......

Like Bryian mentioned already - the parts are very filigran and you need some patience and calm fingers working on and with the boatskit.
and it is very light refering the weight - you have the feeling, that you have only paper in hand
But with some time you get used to this .....

Now we start the outside planking - for this you have to install the first top layers with the small notches for the boat oars - here I made a mistake, which I will show also in this post - so be aware about and make it correct

The two top planks and also the thin keelson

IMG-7412.jpg

On one side the plank is installed and also the keelson

IMG-7413.jpg

IMG-7414.jpg

and the other side

IMG-7419.jpg

IMG-7420.jpg

IMG-7421.jpg

and here the mistake happened - I installed the second top plank in the wrong direction
Let us take one more look at the Boudriot drawing:

The boat was rowed by six seamen, one seaman sitting on one bench - therefore the notches for the oars have to be staggered on revers order on both sides (see green and red arrows) - > My error was, that I made them mirrored !!!! WRONG !!!!

IMG-7411a.jpg

I realized this much later, so no chance to correct it

After installation and fixing of the two planks and the keelson the boats model can be removed out of the jig and off course I checked the look of the skeleton on top of the Le Coureur - would be also a nice idea.....

IMG-7422.jpg

IMG-7423.jpg

IMG-7424.jpg

IMG-7425.jpg

IMG-7427.jpg

IMG-7426.jpg

IMG-7428.jpg

Back