LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

One more plank, some ringbolts and a slight oiling made the finished boat - I have later to think about how I "fill" the boat with some scratch oars, mast etc.

But for the moment I will leave it it like it is now

IMG-7488.jpg

IMG-7489.jpg

IMG-7490.jpg

IMG-7491.jpg

Now? What is next? ....... I have to study the manual and drawings .....

Some time ago, we were already discussing the hooks for the gun tackling

The Jean Boudriot drawings are showing these hooks, for each gun two of them

IMG-7161.jpg cerf8a.jpg

I was experimenting with several solutions until I got the hint with @Giampy65 solution on his Amarante

post-7696-0-20522100-1463337892.jpg post-7696-0-83290200-1463337893.jpg

So using as much as possible the kit content I experimented with the brass casted hooks of the kit

on the lower part left side you see 3 original kit hooks, on the top 4 sanded and cleaned hooks with some small pieces of a brass tube, and on the right 4 hooks with the rings

IMG-7699.jpg

some soldering later (I ams till not very good in soldering .....) the 16 hooks with the drilled holes for the rings

IMG-7700.jpg

here a close up of my first trial - the result was not so bad ....

IMG-7684.jpg

blackened elements

IMG-7717.jpg

IMG-7718.jpg

IMG-7686.jpg

all 16 hooks prepared for the later installation with the gun tackles

IMG-7719.jpg

not fixed - only to get a feeling of how they will look like

IMG-7720.jpg

Some time ago, we were already discussing the hooks for the gun tackling

The Jean Boudriot drawings are showing these hooks, for each gun two of them

View attachment 266807 View attachment 266806

I was experimenting with several solutions until I got the hint with @Giampy65 solution on his Amarante

View attachment 266809 View attachment 266810

So using as much as possible the kit content I experimented with the brass casted hooks of the kit

on the lower part left side you see 3 original kit hooks, on the top 4 sanded and cleaned hooks with some small pieces of a brass tube, and on the right 4 hooks with the rings

View attachment 266813

some soldering later (I ams till not very good in soldering .....) the 16 hooks with the drilled holes for the rings

View attachment 266814

here a close up of my first trial - the result was not so bad ....

View attachment 266811

blackened elements

View attachment 266815

View attachment 266816

View attachment 266812

all 16 hooks prepared for the later installation with the gun tackles

View attachment 266817

not fixed - only to get a feeling of how they will look like

View attachment 266818
wow :)Thumbsup
it's looks wonderful result & very accurate

Many Thanks for your positive feedback about my selfmade hooks...... and all the likes received

In the meantime I also finished the two pumps on the deck

IMG-7777.jpg

IMG-7778.jpg

IMG-7779.jpg

IMG-7780.jpg

IMG-7781.jpg

The time comes closer, that I really can fix all the deck elements ....

Many Thanks for your interest in my work on the Le Coureur

Looking good. Interesting arrangement - pipes point inboard, never seen it before.
Hallo my friend,
somehow I expected such a comment by somebody - and I am prepared and would like to explain my thoughts.

First of all the elmtree-pumps of the kit are slightly different to the types which are shown in Boudriots Le Coureur monograph, but the principles are the same and the size and situation (location and arrangement on the deck) are the same

My thoughts when I prepared and installed the outlets of the pump where this:

1) The width of the deck is too small - therefore definitely the handle of the pump(s) have to be oriented towards the railing. (red arrow)

IMG-7789a.jpg

2) On such elmtree-pumps the outlet can be also sideway means f.e. 45° towards the handle

post-8878-0-05734200-1418077899.jpg

but 3) Because of the step in the deck (green arrows) and the directly on the other side opening with a hatch, I have my doupts, that they would spill the water towards these directions

IMG-7790a.jpg

4) there are also sketches available from Goodwin or Lavery showing the outlets with direction inbord

post-8878-0-31337400-1418151905.jpg post-8878-0-52276500-1418151928.jpg

=> Based on this situation I decided to make the outlets like they are in moment -> and the seamen are happy, that they get not spilled cold water directly on their feet ;)

=> the width of the ship is very small, so that the water will fastly disappear from the deck
=> additional info about a very interesting detail:
The scupper near the pump has a bigger square area than the normal one - so a higher capacity

IMG-6734.jpg IMG-6736.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-7793.jpg
    IMG-7793.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
Uwe your work is magnificent and it is a most impressive build. I like the clean-look of the deck, your eyebolts and rings are to die for (just superb), the pumps are detailed and nicely executed, but the small boat puzzles me. Surely there must be a cap railing? How else are the oar locks secured? I know you mentioned that you still need to fill the inside, but surely the cap rail does not count as part of that?...

IMG-7488.jpg

Hallo my friend,
somehow I expected such a comment by somebody - and I am prepared and would like to explain my thoughts.

First of all the elmtree-pumps of the kit are slightly different to the types which are shown in Boudriots Le Coureur monograph, but the principles are the same and the size and situation (location and arrangement on the deck) are the same

My thoughts when I prepared and installed the outlets of the pump where this:

1) The width of the deck is too small - therefore definitely the handle of the pump(s) have to be oriented towards the railing. (red arrow)

View attachment 267754

2) On such elmtree-pumps the outlet can be also sideway means f.e. 45° towards the handle

View attachment 267756

but 3) Because of the step in the deck (green arrows) and the directly on the other side opening with a hatch, I have my doupts, that they would spill the water towards these directions

View attachment 267755

4) there are also sketches available from Goodwin or Lavery showing the outlets with direction inbord

View attachment 267757 View attachment 267758

=> Based on this situation I decided to make the outlets like they are in moment -> and the seamen are happy, that they get not spilled cold water directly on their feet ;)

=> the width of the ship is very small, so that the water will fastly disappear from the deck
=> additional info about a very interesting detail:
The scupper near the pump has a bigger square area than the normal one - so a higher capacity

View attachment 267759 View attachment 267760
Ah! The step in the deck explains the situation. Thanks.

Uwe your work is magnificent and it is a most impressive build. I like the clean-look of the deck, your eyebolts and rings are to die for (just superb), the pumps are detailed and nicely executed, but the small boat puzzles me. Surely there must be a cap railing? How else are the oar locks secured? I know you mentioned that you still need to fill the inside, but surely the cap rail does not count as part of that?...
I hope Uwe doesn't mind jumping for the answer, though he might object or add additional information available on his hand.

let's begin with a little bit of history.
In the age of sail, a ship carried a variety of boats of various sizes and for different purposes.
In the navies, they were:
  • the launch, or long-boat, the largest of all rowboats on board, which was of full, flat, and high built
  • the barge, the next in size, which was employed for carrying commanding officers, with ten or twelve oars
  • the pinnace, which was used for transporting subordinate officers, with six or eight oars
  • the yawl, a smaller pinnace
  • the cutter, which was shorter and broader than the long-boat and used for the transfer of goods
  • the jolly-boat, used for light work
  • the gig, a long narrow boat, employed for expeditious rowing and fitted with sails, and belonging to the captain

A merchant ship usually carried on board
  • the launch or long-boat
  • the skiff, the next in size and used for towing or kedging
  • the jolly-boat or yawl, the third in size
  • the quarter-boat, which was longer than the jolly-boat and named thus because it was hung on davits at a ship's quarter
  • the captain’s gig, which was one of the quarter boats
Being LeCourier is the Luger-type ship, and relatively small size, she carried only one boat - the cutter. Depending on the weather or combat situations, the boat is stored on the deck or towed behind the ship.
Cutters as ship's boats came into use in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. These were mostly clinker-built open boats that were fitted for propulsion by both oar and sail. They were more optimized for sailing than the barges and pinnaces that were types of ship's boats widely used to transport. The one distinctive resulting feature of this was the wash strake added to increase the freeboard. It was pierced with rowlock cut-outs for the oars so that the thwarts did not need to be set unusually high to achieve the right geometry for efficient use.

Please check out the drawings of the 18th foot cutter (from Alert 1777). The #7 represents the wash strake, and #6 is the pierced rowlock cut-outs for the oars.

IMG_2200.jpeg

Not all the ship's boats will require cap railings. There are different types\ways to secure rowlocks.

I was looking at the other two longboat models from CAF which both have cap railings and look "finished".
I believe those other two boats are 'launch' and 'barge' if I am not mistaken. Besides the 'cutter' is not pretty the wash strake has a special purpose - to increase the freeboard.

Back