LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

I hope Uwe doesn't mind jumping for the answer, though he might object or add additional information available on his hand.

let's begin with a little bit of history.
In the age of sail, a ship carried a variety of boats of various sizes and for different purposes.
In the navies, they were:
  • the launch, or long-boat, the largest of all rowboats on board, which was of full, flat, and high built
  • the barge, the next in size, which was employed for carrying commanding officers, with ten or twelve oars
  • the pinnace, which was used for transporting subordinate officers, with six or eight oars
  • the yawl, a smaller pinnace
  • the cutter, which was shorter and broader than the long-boat and used for the transfer of goods
  • the jolly-boat, used for light work
  • the gig, a long narrow boat, employed for expeditious rowing and fitted with sails, and belonging to the captain

A merchant ship usually carried on board
  • the launch or long-boat
  • the skiff, the next in size and used for towing or kedging
  • the jolly-boat or yawl, the third in size
  • the quarter-boat, which was longer than the jolly-boat and named thus because it was hung on davits at a ship's quarter
  • the captain’s gig, which was one of the quarter boats
Being LeCourier is the Luger-type ship, and relatively small size, she carried only one boat - the cutter. Depending on the weather or combat situations, the boat is stored on the deck or towed behind the ship.
Cutters as ship's boats came into use in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. These were mostly clinker-built open boats that were fitted for propulsion by both oar and sail. They were more optimized for sailing than the barges and pinnaces that were types of ship's boats widely used to transport. The one distinctive resulting feature of this was the wash strake added to increase the freeboard. It was pierced with rowlock cut-outs for the oars so that the thwarts did not need to be set unusually high to achieve the right geometry for efficient use.

Please check out the drawings of the 18th foot cutter (from Alert 1777). The #7 represents the wash strake, and #6 is the pierced rowlock cut-outs for the oars.

View attachment 267944

As you can see, not all the ship's boats will require cap railings. There are different types and ways to secure rowlocks.
Thank you Jim for your comprehensive and compact information, very helpful.

Many Thanks to everybody for the comments hints and all the likes received.
and especially to Jim jumping in.

Take also a look at this building log by @paulv1958 and the posts by @pugwash showing the boats of the Victory in detail where the cut-outs are very good visible

in addition I would like to show the excerpts from Jean Boudriot drawing

IMG-7816.jpg IMG-7817.jpg

Heinrich mentioned the other boats offered by @CAFmodel

They are different:
Unbenannt1.JPG Unbenannt2.JPG

Some small work to finalize the deck were done

The "stopper" of the capstan (sorry, I do not know the correct term) - in moment not fixed againbst the capstan - they can be turn over

IMG-7785.jpg

IMG-7786.jpg

IMG-7787.jpg

and the two small hooks of the stock at the bow of the vessel

IMG-7689.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest in my build

Many Thanks for your kind words, comments and also all the likes received

Also what was missing until now was the leather cover at the rudder (against seawater splash) and the chains, which were installed to secure the rudder blade against loss. I am not completely happy with the leather, also the nails are still missing - so maybe in future I will change or adjust this detail. But for the time being it will stay like it is now

IMG-7813.jpg

IMG-7814.jpg

IMG-7815.jpg

I'm sure you have a reason why you have 4 rings instead of the 2 as shown at Boudriot, attached to the stern.
Boudriot showed only two, which are the connections for the rudder-chain - I thought, that there will be some additional ringbolts necessary f.e. to fix a boat to the stern near sea level etc. - you know on the sides are also some "empty" ringbolts shown and necessary, so why not at the stern.
The three ringbolts over the false windows will be also added later....

BTW: with the ringbolts on the outside of the hull of the Le Coureur we can be relatively free

when you compare f.e. the rings at the stern of the model shown by ancre, they are completely different to the drawing by Boudriot, so it seems to be best, to wait with them, until the masts and rigging works are actual

monographie-du-coureur-lougre-1776 (3).jpg

The ringbolts on the sides of the hull are only shown on the sailplan drawing from Boudriot

monographie-du-coureur-lougre-1776 (7).jpg coureur17a.jpg

Yes Uwe, it's the little parts that make me creep around a model forever. My wife has wanted to go on for a long time, but I'm still tied up - how was that done, etc.
The worst thing was on my honeymoon in Paris when I was able to look at the maritime museum from the Eiffel Tower and my wife said: No, we won't visit the museum.
Since then, she has fulfilled many of my wishes!

Best regards
Thomas

Yes Uwe, it's the little parts that make me creep around a model forever. My wife has wanted to go on for a long time, but I'm still tied up - how was that done, etc.
The worst thing was on my honeymoon in Paris when I was able to look at the maritime museum from the Eiffel Tower and my wife said: No, we won't visit the museum.
Since then, she has fulfilled many of my wishes!

Best regards
Thomas
Hallo Thomas,
when the museum is reopened after the renovation, we should go together to Paris...... I was also not able until now to see it.
My wife is acting differently: She is not interested in ships, so she is accepting everything what I do (or buy) related to my hobby.
There is only one requirement defined by her: She is going for shopping, when I visit a museum.
I am looking forward to see you (and wife + daughter) in Augsburg ......

Hallo Thomas,
when the museum is reopened after the renovation, we should go together to Paris...... I was also not able until now to see it.
My wife is acting differently: She is not interested in ships, so she is accepting everything what I do (or buy) related to my hobby.
There is only one requirement defined by her: She is going for shopping, when I visit a museum.
I am looking forward to see you (and wife + daughter) in Augsburg ......
Hi guys, this sounds kind of familiar. it is similar for me.

So - let us talk about the anchors.

First of all I want to sum up the information given by Jean Boudriot in the monograph

IMG-7913.jpg IMG-7914.jpg

Information by Uwe: I have the feeling, that here we have a typewriting error -> I think it should be read under "C" not 2000-pound, but 1200 pound best bower anchor (see also "7" in the following)

IMG-7916.jpg IMG-7915.jpg

and these are the details shown in the drawings - the best bower anchor and the the small bower anchor have more or less the same size, only the cross section is slightly smaller

IMG-7913.jpg

In the kit we have two pieces of anchors of identical size - they fit, also in size and by the form very exact the two bower anchors, which are necessary to install later on at the catheads on starboard and port.

The second best bower for the hold and the two small stream anchors (450-pounds) I will try to get once on the aftermarket suppliers...... to store them under the boat on the deck..... would be a nice detail !!

Maybe somebody knows a source to get such type of anchors type "E" ?
We once discussed something at the Bluenose group build, I think ......

The anchors have in principle this form

IMG-7919.jpg IMG-7918.jpg

Back