LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

ok I will give it a try...I wiil let you in on a new event... I have recieved a CAF courier. the plans have been copied, the monograf by ancre has arrived also. Soon I will start..been following the group build.Need to update my work on my other ship too, the bulworks are neally complete. and the gun ports cut out, will try to post pics this weekend
Looking forward to your build log! ;)

In order to show everybody a little bit more in detail the clever method with working these measuring sticks.

Here you can see the sticks on the correct location marked on the drawing with red squares
View attachment 191051

To explain it a little bit further I show these clamps also on the outside of the jig - clamp is lower than the final position, so that you can recognize the final location on laser painting
View attachment 191052

Here in the correct height
View attachment 191053

View attachment 191054

View attachment 191055

all four clamps of one side
View attachment 191056

and also inside the hull
View attachment 191057

View attachment 191058

View attachment 191059

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued
Many Thanks to all friends following this building log - and many thanks for the comments, kind words and likes

The next step was the installation of the clamps shown in this sketch - (Remark: the middle part has the correct number 3A-2 and not 3A-3!)View attachment 192028

First of all the deck-clamp from the bow towards the stern - for easier adjustment I watered the parts for some time and adjusted the form with a heating iron / electric plank bender (from Kolderstock)

The parts are here dry-fitted
3A-1:
View attachment 192023

3A-3:
View attachment 192022

waiting that the glue is hardening
View attachment 192026

View attachment 192027
Uwe, I am several months behind you, getting ready to start on the clamps..(see my post). I really like your black long-nosed clamps with the blue tips...They are narrow and long enough to fit between frames-ideal for this build. Could you tell me their brand, and where you got them ? Thanks
Alex R

Some more information about the barrels ......

Unbenannt1.JPG Unbenannt.JPG

As shown already earlier here is the manual from CAF shwoings how to make the barrels
IMG_60991a1.jpg

In sketch 3 all together 5 rings are shown made out of 3 types. These bands are at the brass photo etched sheets and marked with the type 1, 2 or 3

IMG_60991a2.jpg IMG-5964.jpg

From the sketches above and also the viseos we know, that the bung hole is located at the widest part of the barrel!
That means, that at the widest part of the barrel definitely no steel ring / hoop is installed !!!

So you can / should leave the ring No.1 away and install on the barrels only the rings type 2 and 3

Here some impressions of wooden barrels

Oak-wine-barrel-at-toneleria-nacional-chile.jpg Lightmatter_wine_barrels.jpg

Beam_Rack_House.jpg

I like this photo very much - wonder how they put this pyramide together
Gestapelde_tonnen_Zeesluisweg_(links)_hoek_Schokkerweg_bij_reder_Vrolijk_te_Scheveningen_Den_H...jpg
Pyramidal pile of herring barrels in Scheveningen, the Netherlands

During the weekend I made a little bit on the barrels and boxes..... not so muc, but worth to show

The wooden works of all eight barrels is finished - sanded and also oiled
IMG-5953.jpg

IMG-5955.jpg

and I also started to solder the rings / hoops of the barrels - as mentioned in the post before, only rings type 2 and 3

IMG-5956.jpg

IMG-5957.jpg

IMG-5958.jpg

I could not resist to put these parts fastly into the cargo hold
IMG-5959.jpg

IMG-5960.jpg

I like this photo very much - wonder how they put this pyramide together
View attachment 222507
In my case I can't help wondering what holds it all together. Many many years ago when I was very young and very poor I had saved money for a long time to go on a 4 days summerholiday with my fiancée to Germany. On the second day my fiancée went to the supermarket to buy some bread for breakfast. The supermarket had built a high pyramid of glass bottles with orange juice. My fiancée took a bottle with nothing on top of it and yet the whole pyramid collapsed like a house of cards. The staff was very kind and quickly cleaned it all up but when she reached the cash register they had put all the bottles of juice on the bill. Back then she was young and very shy (that is long gone ROTF ) so she did not dare to object. In return we barely had money enough to pay for gas for my old Opel Kadett to bring us back to Denmark.

Last edited:
a good sleep is very important for the health - although in our age we luckily do not need so much any more.

Etienne Piette is also showing these sleeping compartments with bed linen in his amazing 1:24 model
CEP_380.jpg CEP_386.jpg

The kit includes some bed linen made out of some plastic, which can be painted

46a.jpg

It is a nice idea to paint them f.e. with such blue and white checker pattern, also to get an eyecatcher, but my opinion is, that they used to have some simple white (and after some weeks on sailing on board brown / grey) linen. So I took some old (and not very good) sail-cloth to imitate the linen

left is the plastic original "bed", in the middle covered with some sail cloth and on the right hand some paint tests with Talens Ecoline paints (which I have in hand in moment - others are ordered now, so I will wait with the decision)
IMG-5961.jpg

I remembered afterwards, that with the Le Coureur kit, also some sail material is in the kit, which seems much better quality and better in scale
IMG-5963.jpg

We will see ........

What about soaking the cloth in strong black tea?
Yes - this is also a possible way to "colour" the canvas to a correct seamen-dirty finish
The idea of painting afterwards was grown, because of the super-glue is visible around the pillow, and this has to be covered or masked with paint .......

during the last days I had not so much time in the workshop, but I made in several areas some testing
(also with machines like the turkish thicknesser and soldering tools I received in the meantime)

f.e. the sleeping or bed linen - I removed the pillows, which were hindering an accurate upholdstering

IMG-6017.jpg

colored with different ecoline colors - some seamen are really mudlarks

in addition I tried also the surface treatment propsed by Karl alias @Jeronimo with using Clue Schnellschleifgrund insteed of my usual oil - and I am very happy with the result - so most of the interior elements are now prepared, so I can start the final installation inside the hull

The beams are natural - the inner planking and walls etc. are already treated with the Clue
IMG-6015.jpg

IMG-6016.jpg

After the linen tests I made also some testing with the "new" blackening stuff from Ballistol, which I bought some months ago.
So the first eyebolts and rings and also the rings of the barrels were finished

Here a photo showing the finished barrels waiting, that I install the interior walls and floors (hope to do this during weekend

IMG-6060.jpg

After the linen tests I made also some testing with the "new" blackening stuff from Ballistol, which I bought some months ago.
So the first eyebolts and rings and also the rings of the barrels were finished

Here a photo showing the finished barrels waiting, that I install the interior walls and floors (hope to do this during weekend

View attachment 227803
Wine or water?

Beautifully crafted barrels, UWE! In those barrels Cognac...for sure. :p Kelt brand! They put cognac in barrels and sent barrels in sea voyages to mature (Tour du Monde). In fact, they still do it, today.

Click on the image below to find out more about my favorite drink

1618602569908.png

Love the barrels! Though I stand to be corrected, not all types would be corked as barrels were used to transport not only liquids, but many types of solids as well.

I am quite fond of the yellow color you tested on the cot. Was that just applied with a stain? My German is rusty, but Schnellschleifgrund appears to be a pore filler of some kind...?

Beautifully crafted barrels, UWE! In those barrels Cognac...for sure. :p Kelt brand! They put cognac in barrels and sent barrels in sea voyages to mature (Tour du Monde). In fact, they still do it, today.

Click on the image below to find out more about my favorite drink

View attachment 227964
I'm on my way to get some KELT Cognac !

Back