LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Pity, as I have been waiting to see the nailing of the stern planks. Do you know if this would be a mix of metal and treenails, pure metal or . . . ?
Hallo Poul,
do you mean this area of the stern marked with red?
IMG_6222a.jpg

First of all I want to bring the words from @Gilles Korent in post #541 into mind

Planking on Le Coureur
Given the information from the monograph and more specifically the representation of the hull as shown in plate 3, no treenails were used in this vessel. The text does not mention the use of treenails. I would remind the reader that usually (and that may be on larger ships or on carvel planked vessels), below the waterline, the planking was fastened by 1 nail and 1 treenail on each frame. Above the water line, where the planking is not clinker-style, upper-works, 2 nails.

So only bolts and nails, but no treenails - I am still thinking about how I show the fastenings at the stern, but definitely no treenails

Yes, I meant the area you marked with red (but maybe also the area I have marked with violet although I'm aware that most of the nails in this area will be hidden by decorations).
Most of it I think is more or less obvious but would there be nails in each of the 9 vertical timber in the area I have marked with a black square?
1615297918519.png

Yes, I meant the area you marked with red (but maybe also the area I have marked with violet although I'm aware that most of the nails in this area will be hidden by decorations).
Most of it I think is more or less obvious but would there be nails in each of the 9 vertical timber in the area I have marked with a black square?
View attachment 219128
Just one comment about the photo shown.
The helm port framing is peculiar with 9 timbers to form a really massive solid piece extended that high in the center of the stern. In reality, I would think that these timbers should only be extended up to the lower transom: basically in line with the top of the red lines. But never mind, that seems to be the way the stern is framed in the kit.

As far as nailing is concerned, what you have seems adequate.

Do not forget to cut the helm port before nailing. Right now you do not have an opening for the rudder to go through. Then, you can take care of the nails.
As for the nails into that solid piece (those 9 timbers in the center): I would only nail the planks to the center and the side timbers. That will give you about the right spacing along with the other vertical timbers. Nails should be installed around opening of the helm port as well unless you plan to install a rudder coat later.

G.

Last edited:
Many Thanks Gilles for the additional information and comments.

The helm port framing is peculiar with 9 timbers to form a really massive solid piece extended that high in the center of the stern. In reality, I would think that these timbers should only be extended up to the lower transom: basically in line with the top of the red lines. But never mind, that seems to be the way the stern is framed in the kit.
You are right that this would not be so massive in real - I guess it is a reason of stability (of the fragile kit parts) and to make it easier for the modeler.
Usually it will be all covered by the outside planking of the stern.
The main question, which I did not ake into account until now is the inside view of this part.
As we know, the windows in the stern are no real windows, they are "fake" on the real ship.
When we take a look at Etiennes great model in 1:24 we can see where the level of the deck is ending - appr. in the middle (in height) of the "windows"
CEP_124.jpg

also visible at the Jean Boudriot drawings where we can find a longitudinal cross section of the stern
coureur15b.jpg

Now it has to be checked, if these 9 timbers are visible (the 2 times 3 timbers) are shorter than the deck or not? ...... if they are too long, they have to be shortened and sanded down in such way, that they are not visble any more, after the deck planking is done.

Do not forget to cut the helm port before nailing. Right now you do not have an opening for the rudder to go through. Then, you can take care of the nails.
As for the nails into that solid piece (those 9 timbers in the center): I would only nail the planks to the center and the side timbers. That will give you about the right spacing along with the other vertical timbers. Nails should be installed around opening of the helm port as well unless you plan to install a rudder coat later.
I will take this into account and will make the nailing after opening the helm port - rudder coat is another challenge - I have planned it and the kit contents also some very fine canvas for this.....

Once more Many Thanks for the helpfull comments - Highly appreciated and welcome - so please visit my log as often as possible......

Refering the discussion of the last two days I am studying in moment the drawings and will post here my summary in short time.
It will get really interesting for the modelers building the model......

For the meantime I have an additional information related to the visibility of the interior through the open planking.

After finishing the planking and the nailing I dryfitted once more the prepared interior walls and floors. When you plan only a partly planking of the hull in order to get some visibility of the interior, please check these photos

IMG-5859.jpg

IMG-5858a.jpg

On my next Le Coureur I would also omit the planks which are marked with the red arrows ......

In order to plan the order of the final installation I dryfitted the hull with the prepared interior walls and floors.
It took some time for me to remember which wall has to be where, was it for or aft the beams? etc....
but I managed it (somehow) ....... so this is the starting point of the permanent installations

IMG-5853.jpg

(one midship beam was turned upside down by accident)
IMG-5854.jpg

IMG-5855.jpg

It is getting step by step a nice ship model
IMG-5856.jpg

IMG-5857.jpg

I numbered every beam by the frame numbers and also running from fore to aft
IMG-5847.jpg

IMG-5848.jpg

IMG-5849.jpg

IMG-5850.jpg

IMG-5851.jpg

In another building log, we had the talk about the monkey ladder located at the storeroom midships.
The only access to this area via a hatch on the deck - I prepared this small element with a 4 to 4mm and a sharp knife.
Distance of the steps, left to right side is 0,75 cm in the model, so appr. 36cm in real .....

IMG-5891.jpg

View attachment 219128

I found in the meantime additional information about the nailing at the stern, which is shown by Jean Boudriot

IMG-5873.jpg

Please have in mind, that the structure of the stern is different from the kit compared to Boudriot. Means if you cover the complete stern with planking,

You can see, that also Boudriot did not make any parallel offset at one beam - the vertical beams are so thin, that they are following one line

So the nailing could look like this: (sorry for the missing parts from the structure - small accidents during planking job, but can be easily repaired)

IMG_6222aa1.jpg

Another possibility would be, that if you completely plank the stern you could also follow the principles by Boudriot

But important is the fact, that you have to take into account, that the area marked with green will be covered and no structure is visible. The area in red will be not visible from the stern, but it will be visible from inside the decks area (see the photo of Etiennes model in post #609) and the area in blue will be fully visible.
So at the end the nailing of the upper part has to follow the alignment of the visible vertical timbers.

IMG-5264a.jpg

Well, looking at Boudriot's drawing, Giles' words as well as my own aesthetic perception I think I'll rather make the lower middle section something like the blue dots (around the helm port the nails through the leather)
View attachment 219725
You are correct - I forgot once more the helmport opening

Here's is an alternative nailing pattern from Bernard Frohlich. Of course, this is less accurate as he was not working from a PoF model. It sure is purty though.

View attachment 219852
Very good, that you are reminding us on the report in Frölichs book "The Art of Shipmodeling" "L'ART DU MODELISME" "Die Kunst des Modellbaus"
in which he is showing also some steps of building his model of the Le Coureur

In addition to the photo you are showing
IMG-5908.jpg

is also the other one some pages later showing the finalized stern with the false windows and the decoration - here we can also see the visible nailing following the vertical posts. On the upper counter he also used nails with slightly bigger diameter..... but I guess this is a question of taste
IMG-5914.jpg

A question of taste is also, if we show nails also in the area between the windows !?! Due to the fact, that they are false windows, the area inside the window frames are the same timber planks, so also here should be nails - not looking so nice, but technically correct.
IMG-5914a.jpg

Ah but there are no frames running through our false windows, so nails in them would not make much sense.
If you want to follow Boudriots information you have theoretically there a vertical structural element, than you have to make a nail
CAF made a different interpretation of the stern structure and prepared the stern structure in such a way, that you can make the windows as open (with glas) and not as Boudriot as false windows out of wood.

Boudriot - without windows and only false windows visible from outside
IMG-5873a1.jpg

CAF - prepared for windows
IMG-4677a1.jpg

Back