LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

I have a question Uwe: When I questioned if the nails should really be in one straight row from gunwale to keel you said, if I'm not mistaken, that it would be redundant to have 2 rows of nails for the futtock overlaps. Obviously you have at a later stage changed your mind. Why?
View attachment 216552
I am not completely understanding the point where you think, that I changed my mind.

In the following I am using your markings (turned photo by 180°) to compare and overlay with my sketch afterwards
aa1.png

butt joints are green - planks are blue - nails are red
With this I think you can understand my thinking, where a nail should be following "my" pattern
IMG_60431aa1.jpg

Alternativ, but I did not follow, could be also this pattern
IMG_60431aa2.jpg

Maybe based on this sketch you could once more try to explain your point?

Poul - you got me.......
to be honest: I was think about and revised my original idea (your given link)...... my final thought was, that a shipwright would use all the possibilities to fix planks to the framing and structure of the ship. This idea was confirmed by the information given by Gilles, that also in between the frames, the planks were fixed together with some "normal" nails.....
so it seems, that long the plank there were plenty of bolts and nails

Curious for me was also the planking pattern shown in Boudriot other monograph of the Le Cerf, which was also clinkered.

d.jpg

Take a closer look at the butt joints - only one side was bolted twice - the other plank-ending without any bolting - Can this be? I think NO
Seems, that there is no real knowledge or clear information given by Boudriot

Therefore I made my own pattern, which I think could be - in addition I am thing about to simulate these smaller nails between the frames with maybe 2 or three additional small holes with a scriber - after oiling they would be more visible as smaller brown dotts - but this I have to try on a scrap trail planking first
IMG-5745a22.jpg

During the weekend my small daughter were with me for some time in the workshop........ after I told her, that I was broken once more a drill, she said that she will help me and will produce for me drills.....

She took some nails and a side cutter - using a drill as a template and started the production - you can clearly see the diagonal thread, or?
IMG-5747.jpg

She was very proud and me Too

During the weekend my small daughter were with me for some time in the workshop........ after I told her, that I was broken once more a drill, she said that she will help me and will produce for me drills.....

She took some nails and a side cutter - using a drill as a template and started the production - you can clearly see the diagonal thread, or? She was very proud and me Too
He lives in a land with many a hill,
close to a cold and clear little rill
with banks of Edelweiss and Vienna squill
along fields of grass and chamomile
in the town of Carl Djerassi (developer of the contraceptive pill)
He has a lot of competences, but one particular skill
made him known all over the world . . . as Kill Drill.
His daughter went to his basement to chill
and she noticed all over the floor a spill
as well as the trashcan overfill
of pieces of broken bits from the mill
among, from Karl Fisher, many a bill.
His daughter felt sorry for poor Kill Drill
she decided to help (from early age she had a very strong will)
The root cause was clear - the bits were ill
To the sound of Strauss' Debut-Quadrille
she started a mass production with thrill
For sure even 10 years from now her bits are unbroken still

Hallo @PoulD ,
many many Thanks for the poem - what a wonderful idea and lovely text
I will cherish this poem in printed form hanging at the wall next to my daughters production line.
Maybe it is a new family business ........

Yesterday I received my delivery of Talens Ecoline colors, either the small bottles and also the brush pens

ecoline.jpg

I made a fast test with the brush pens on a scrap plank- very easy to handle and you can work very precise if necessary

ecoline test.jpg

I think, that I will try them on the wales, although I olready installed most og them already, but I guess with the pens and a steady hand it will be possible.
I guess these colours could be also used, f.e. the black - yellow checkered painting of the nelson ships with using a yellow color - should be tested.....

I ordered them online in a well known austrian shop, but they are available in a lot of shops

I mentioned already that I can see the light at the end of the "nail-tunnel"

nails.jpg

I hope, that I can show you already in some days something more interesting, like the finalizing the wales and installation of the interior walls and decks, which are already completely prepared
So I hope to end the boring nailing work (also fro you) soon......

I mentioned already that I can see the light at the end of the "nail-tunnel"

View attachment 217756

I hope, that I can show you already in some days something more interesting, like the finalizing the wales and installation of the interior walls and decks, which are already completely prepared
So I hope to end the boring nailing work (also fro you) soon......
Are those the copper 0.7 mm nails Uwe? I’m planning to use 0.7 copper wire but still somewhat unsure about the best diameter to use.

Are those the copper 0.7 mm nails Uwe? I’m planning to use 0.7 copper wire but still somewhat unsure about the best diameter to use.
The copper nails have diameter 0,6mm
Maybe you remember, that I tried on my first rows on the hull the preparation of the heads with the burrs - for these two rows I used 0,7mm nails

IMG-5682.jpg

afterwards I changed to the 0,6mm nails - so you can see now the difference directly on my model

the red area are these two rows with 0,7 - the green area are 0,6mm

IMG-5714a4.jpg

and here a very close look, where you can realize the difference (on the left of the red line 0,7mm - on the right 0,6mm)

Unbenannt1.JPG

The copper nails have diameter 0,6mm
Maybe you remember, that I tried on my first rows on the hull the preparation of the heads with the burrs - for these two rows I used 0,7mm nails

View attachment 217759

afterwards I changed to the 0,6mm nails - so you can see now the difference directly on my model

the red area are these two rows with 0,7 - the green area are 0,6mm

View attachment 217757

and here a very close look, where you can realize the difference (on the left of the red line 0,7mm - on the right 0,6mm)

View attachment 217758
Thank you Uwe. I’m not planning to mess about with burring the head. I have looked at using domed nails in stead of the flush nail/wire, but they seem out of proportion. Copper 0.6 wire it will be (can’t seem to get the nails here in the uk and wire is a lot cheaper

Yes - wire is cheaper, but nails have in my opinion a big advantage.
I am pre-drilling the holes with 0,5mm and with the point of the nail and with some slight hits with the hammer it is much easier to push the nail into the hole

BTW: the copper nails bag I am using has 50g nails, which are appr. 1.850 pcs - so with one bag for 13 Euro you can nail the complete hull of the Le Coureur, with reduced time for the preparation -> these are the reasons I am using the nails

Thank you Uwe. I’m not planning to mess about with burring the head. I have looked at using domed nails in stead of the flush nail/wire, but they seem out of proportion. Copper 0.6 wire it will be (can’t seem to get the nails here in the uk and wire is a lot cheaper
I looked at the site you sourced them from but I can’t find a similar site in the uk.

Unfortunately Modellbauplanet has no copper nails in stock any more, but they can organize them.
They deliver international (Germany - Austria was also international)
Or you try to contact directly aeronaut - they will also deliver to UK - I am pretty sure

The problem could be in moment, that most of the nails are produced in Italy, and there seems to be some problems in production

On the other hand aeronaut has a search for aeronaut dealers - there are several shown in the UK

Unbenannt1.JPG

Yes - wire is cheaper, but nails have in my opinion a big advantage.
I am pre-drilling the holes with 0,5mm and with the point of the nail and with some slight hits with the hammer it is much easier to push the nail into the hole

BTW: the copper nails bag I am using has 50g nails, which are appr. 1.850 pcs - so with one bag for 13 Euro you can nail the complete hull of the Le Coureur, with reduced time for the preparation -> these are the reasons I am using the nails
Hallo Uwe, Hallo Chello, The reasoning to use nails is quite correct from Uwe's point of view, but Chello you will manage just as well with the wire.
I used 0.6mm copper wire for my gaff sloop, predrilled 0.5mm, cut pieces of wire to size, held them in place with tweezers and hammered them in with a small hammer. Worked quite well.

Check these guys out in USA, they bought the old ScaleHardware business and restarted it.

They are an alternative, nevertheless a very expensive one.
with 7 US$ per 50 pcs it would cost around 250 US$ to nail the hull......

I finished the nailing yesterday evening !!!!
For the moment ....... still the wales (which I also finalized yesterday) have to be nailed, but I think here I will use 1mm copper nails and plan to make the nail heads like @Maarten on his Alert.

Off course I made several photos of this latest important working step - so enjoy and be happy with me, that the "boring" nailing is behind us - also fro you boring following my work in the last two weeks........ so with the next post I will be able to show something else......

IMG_6227.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6211.JPG

IMG_6212.JPG

IMG_6213.JPG

IMG_6214.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6226.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6223.JPG

Such a clinker built hull can be really sexy

Some smaller areas need still some fine tuning - also the wales - but now I want to go further and I will go back to the interior works

Many Thanks for the interest - I promise, it will be (for the time) the last Planking and nailing post ;)

IMG_6224.JPG

You see -> It is already out of the focus .......

Back