LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Many Thanks to all for your nice and friendly comments and all the Likes received - much appreciated.

Due to a week illness, I was not able to do something in the shipyard, but yesterday evening I was able to restart some small works

So I started to think about the stone ballast and how these stone will be fixed and on which areas they shall be visible. Because most of the area I have to close, so that the barrels, boxes and other stuff like canvas can be located and fixed.

First I tried the fixing of some "sample"-stones with wood glue - and it is working
IMG-6078.jpg

Filling the complete ballast box with stones, the model would get really heavy. For a real ship, with full canvas area in the wind enough stone ballast was necessary. My model will be finally fully rigged with sails, but hopefully there will be no wind producing forces to the mast and ship, so I will reduce the total volume of real stones as much as possible

So the solution (for the moment) will be a not visible platform made out of a plywood. On the photo you see one side, the other left side will be also prepared
IMG-6079.jpg

In the moment I am planing to close the marked areas (with red lines) with boards - the others will stay open showing the stone ballast beneath
IMG-6079aa.jpg

Yesterday I finished the preparation of the hidden platforms made out of plywood, painted them black and fixed on the main parts which are visible the stones.
After permanent installatioon of this platforms I plan to adjust and add additional stones (over the edges between playwood and inner planking), so that the this plywood is not visible any more

I think you are getting a good impression, of how it is looking like - the whit spots between the stones is the wood-glue, which is still wet, after drying it will be not visble any more (I hope so)IMG-6081.jpg

stones.jpg

IMG-6083.jpg

Today I am able to show the finish works on the stone ballast.

Here visible the two segments of the false and hidden platform - necessary now are some more stones to cover the edges
IMG-6085.jpg

no way back - the most of the work is done
IMG-6086.jpg

here the view with the ballast box and some of the cover boards on the ballast box
IMG-6087.jpg

IMG-6088.jpg

The top view - you can see, that I have to prepare some more of the cover boards - on the right you can see still the (to be completely) hidden platform
IMG-6089.jpg

and afterwards I realized, that I forgot something - I forgot completely to leave some space between the stones for the Monkey ladder - I have to solve it somehow - >
SO DO NOT FORGET THIS SMALL MONKEY LADDER Exclamation-MarkExclamation-MarkExclamation-Mark

IMG-6092.jpg

and finally - I could not resist to put some barrels and boxes into the hold - only to get an impression ......
IMG-6093.jpg

IMG-6094.jpg

Before installing the deckbeams, I have to decide how to arrange and fix the cargo

Many Thanks for your interest ..... see you soon on this channel

Many Thanks for your kind words - good for the own personal motivation to spend hours and hours for the small things.....

During the weekend I was able to start the final installation of walls and decks and also tried to fine-tune and prepare the material and stowage

In the hold near the pumps are some canvas bags stowed - only that there is something
IMG-6095.jpg

IMG-6099.jpg

Final installed two sleeping compartments and also final adjustments of the bitts in the wall - in the room directly in the bow are three spare sails stowed (according the contemporary drawing this room was the "sail-room"
IMG-6097.jpg

IMG-6098.jpg

The barrels, boxes and the firewood are not finally fixed
IMG-6100.jpg

IMG-6101.jpg

actual horizonatl views through the frames - I guess a video will show it better, which I will try to make, when it is really finalized

the bags near the pumps
IMG-6102.jpg

IMG-6103.jpg

IMG-6104.jpg

IMG-6105.jpg

I installed in the stowage compartment also some ring bolts for a later lashing of the barrels, maybe some more are necessary (in moment 20 rings) - also firewood is prepared
also my mistake with the forgotten monkey ladder is solved for the moment -> I think I will leave it like this
IMG-6106.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest - comments (positive and negative) are well come

Once more Many Thanks for your kind words, comments and thumb ups - highly appreciated

Going further yesterday evening I worked on the munition magazine / room - as often I show you the descriptions of the manual

the small wall with the small lighting
IMG-6122.jpg

installation of the floor
IMG-6123.jpg

in the kit, there is also a small felxibel sheet of some "lead"
IMG-6124.jpg

the ammunition racks with the gun-powder bags
IMG-6125.jpg

and the floor (which was already prepared weeks ago)
IMG-6126.jpg

now let us take a look at the execution

the small wall with the lighting and the lead cover of the wall
IMG-6129.jpg

also the fllor and the other wall was covered with the lead
IMG-6108.jpg

First check of visability of the interior of the ammunition magazine when the floor / deck is installed
IMG-6110.jpg

not much is possible to see - but I know it, that it is there
IMG-6112.jpg
view from the top through the opening
IMG-6113.jpg

the racks are now filled with some gun-powder bags
IMG-6115.jpg

IMG-6118.jpg

top view with both walls on their place
IMG-6119.jpg

the view through the frames (without floor)
IMG-6120.jpg

the same with the floor covering most of the magazine
IMG-6121.jpg

IMG-6117.jpg

теперь давайте посмотрим на исполнение

небольшая стена с освещением и свинцовым покрытием стены
View attachment 231238

также пол и другая стена были покрыты свинцом
View attachment 231227

Первая проверка видимости внутренней части магазина боеприпасов при установке пола / палубы
View attachment 231228

не так много можно увидеть - но я знаю, что это есть
View attachment 231229
вид сверху через проем
View attachment 231230

Стеллажи теперь заполнены мешками с порохом
View attachment 231232

View attachment 231234

вид сверху с обеими стенами на своих местах
View attachment 231235

вид через рамы (без пола)
View attachment 231236

то же самое с полом, покрывающим большую часть журнала
View attachment 231237

View attachment 231233
Прекрасная работа Недурно

Fine work Thumbs up

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful work again Uwe.
I am in the same process in my Alert, unfortunately we Alert builders have to build from scratch here, nothing provided for interior of the powder room.
I have to make some powder cartridges and yours look very well, keep them in mind.

Back