LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Today I got the positive information, that my friend finished his works on the sails and he will send the material in the next days.

So take a short first look - when I have more information and / or received the sails I will show you them in detail

IMG_20211214_131428-2-lighter.jpg

Many thanks to all for your kind words about my small daughter
I am soooo proud - sorry, but once more completely off topic

Yesterday, in Germany and Austria (and I guess also in some other countries) at the 6th of December, the Saint Nikolaus is coming and bringing the children some fruits, nuts and suits. We had the luck, although it is still lockdown here in Vienna, to find the Nikolaus and invite him into our house.
My daughter, although already 8 years old, like to believe, that it was the "REAL" one

I am so proud
View attachment 274094

Usually the children should, if they like, recite a poem, sing a christmas song or similar.... after a short hesitation, she played Piano, played her transverse flute and made a Poem - she was soooo nervous in front of the "REAL" Nikolaus
and I had tears in the eyes (you know some sandcorn or dust, definitely no feelings)

View attachment 274093

Friends
- our children and grandchildren are growing so fast - Enjoy every single moment like this or others - enjoy every moment with the children
How precious! You have every reason to be proud of your beautiful and talented daughter! Hope you and your family have a great holiday season! ;)

Planking is starting

Before I remove the planks from the sheet, I mark the parts number (number of row with a, b, c or d -> here 25c ) and a small arrow with direction to the bow

Dryfitting
View attachment 203260

View attachment 203261

First plank 25 is installed
View attachment 203262

View attachment 203263

and now also 24
View attachment 203264
This is where I am in my build. Planking the outer hull. So I grabbed the 35 pieces of 1.5 x 5 x 400 Cherry Wood and started planking the port side. I did a splendid job with the first 3 planks, but then I thought “Better see what Uwek did” and imagine my chock, you used the laser cut parts from the kid. I laughed so long and so laud that my wife thought I had gone insane. Do you recall if you had to modify the pieces 24a and 25a? I don’t understand why they don’t fit the curve. I realize 24a should be on top of 25a I am just really confused24a 25a 3.jpg

This is where I am in my build. Planking the outer hull. So I grabbed the 35 pieces of 1.5 x 5 x 400 Cherry Wood and started planking the port side. I did a splendid job with the first 3 planks, but then I thought “Better see what Uwek did” and imagine my chock, you used the laser cut parts from the kid. I laughed so long and so laud that my wife thought I had gone insane. Do you recall if you had to modify the pieces 24a and 25a? I don’t understand why they don’t fit the curve. I realize 24a should be on top of 25a I am just really confused
Yes - the clinker planking is not so easy
The first side I was also experimenting -

The planks are wider than shown on the plan because of the overlapping of the planks because the clinker (towards left of the red line. and in front (towards right of the line has enough meat to adjust when sanding or adjusting the plank to fit at the bow, because here the clinker is going over into a normal cravel planking
I guess that the form at the front of the plank is only to give the modeler the chance to adjust the plank accurately to the real insitu needs

24a 25a 3.jpg

IMG_6223.JPG IMG_6225.JPG IMG_6226.JPG

IMG-5342.jpg IMG-5390a.jpg

The second plank is too wide here....

IMG-5738.jpg

Yes - the clinker planking is not so easy
The first side I was also experimenting -

The planks are wider than shown on the plan because of the overlapping of the planks because the clinker (towards left of the red line. and in front (towards right of the line has enough meat to adjust when sanding or adjusting the plank to fit at the bow, because here the clinker is going over into a normal cravel planking
I guess that the form at the front of the plank is only to give the modeler the chance to adjust the plank accurately to the real insitu needs

View attachment 311444

View attachment 311445 View attachment 311446 View attachment 311447

View attachment 311448 View attachment 311449

The second plank is too wide here....

View attachment 311450
Thank you ever so much Uwek,

Now I can continue my build with peace in mind. These logs have guided me through the shoals again.

The work on my Coureur is in moment on hold, due to the fact, that I am building the Granado.
I stopped with the further missing works on the masts, yards and sails

In short time I will be able to show you the complete set of the sails,
for the moment I would like to show some details as appetizer

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

to be continued ......

The work on my Coureur is in moment on hold, due to the fact, that I am building the Granado.
I stopped with the further missing works on the masts, yards and sails

In short time I will be able to show you the complete set of the sails,
for the moment I would like to show some details as appetizer

View attachment 320554

View attachment 320553

to be continued ......
Uwe, did Oleg Seregin sew the sails by any chance?

Uwe, did Oleg Seregin sew the sails by any chance?
I am so sorry, that I did not answer earlier to your question - sorry for that.

Yes - you are right - Oleg made them for me, but I had to wait a longer time, because he told me, that he has health problems with his eyes, so he originally did not want to take over an more contracts for sail making.....

@Uwek, Fantastic Build and so detailed logs. I came late to your posts and still catching up. 61 pages so far wow. My biggest surprised was when you said on page 18 after completing the internal: "everything is removed and stored temporary in a box - so the hull of the Le Coureur is empty now". I was like WAIT all this work as dry fit. You are setting the bar very high. ;_)

You sold me on the Coureur, it will be my next build.

@Uwek, Fantastic Build and so detailed logs. I came late to your posts and still catching up. 61 pages so far wow. My biggest surprised was when you said on page 18 after completing the internal: "everything is removed and stored temporary in a box - so the hull of the Le Coureur is empty now". I was like WAIT all this work as dry fit. You are setting the bar very high. ;_)

Many Thanks for your kind words about my log and work
The Coureur kit is highly recommended - interesting to build with some very special challenges like the clinker planking - I really love this kit (and ship) and after the Granado, I guess, I will finalize the ship fully masted and with the sails......
Hope to see your model in a building log.....

Another construction log of a runner would be nice. I can only agree with Uwe, the kit is very interesting.

Back