Planset review LE FLEURON - 64-gun Ship by Joseph & Blaise OLLIVIER" - 1729 - by Gerard Delacroix and Jean Boudriot

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Planset Review:
LE FLEURON
64-gun Ship by Joseph & Blaise OLLIVIER - 1729

by Gerard Delacroix and Jean Boudriot
in scale 1:48 / english translation by Gilles Korent

IMG_20001.jpg IMG_20011.jpg

This monographie is available from ancre in different languages, which can be choosen - English / French / Italian or Spanish

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/55-monographie-du-fleuron-vaisseau-de-64-canons-1729.html

1.JPG

3.JPG

IMG_20261.jpg

SYNOPSIS:

This monograph is the first in the series to be devoted to a ship of the line. It is of particular interest since the ship we have chosen, the Fleuron - as it was conceived by Blaise Ollivier - is the first modern French ship. Moreover it represents a pure example of the French school of naval architecture. An exceptionally complete corpus of documentation includes a full description of the classification and characteristics of the ships, its creator's own drawings, original sketches of the ship's decoration and sculptures by Caffieri, and a complete set of information on the ship's rigging found in a manuscript of the period. Because of the catastrophic losses incurred in our archives, it is extremely rare for us to have been able to collect so much material from irrefutable historical sources.

Gérard Delacroix, who did the drawings for the monograph, is a professional draftsman and a talented ship's model builder. He assisted his mentor, Jean Boudriot, in developing and completing this study which we are particularly pleased to offer in our collection.

The distinguished features of the vessel will attract the attention of discerning model builders. Its superb hull, elegant timbers perfectly defined and described, oblique inner planking, iron knees, bronze and iron cannon, French riggings with round tops all make the construction of this model a formidable challenge. An alternative model of the rigging without timbers may also be built using the instructions at 1:72 scale.

The Fleuron was actively involved in very few combat operations but her career was an unusual one in that she cruised the Baltic Sea, where French squadrons rarely ventured, on three occasions. One of these expeditions affords us the opportunity to describe the preparation of a royal ship for a ball that was given on board.

IMG_20021.jpg IMG_20031.jpg

CONTENT of the Booklet:

IMG_20041.jpg

135 p. monograph, 24 x 31cm format, including:

- Blaise Ollivier's manuscript
- J.J. Caffieri's decorations
- Rigging manuscript, 1732
- A biography of B. Ollivier with a bibliography
- A computer-assisted note on the drawings
- The history of the Fleuron 1729-1745
- Archival excerpts on the Baltic cruises and on a ball given on board the Bourbon
The monograph :
- Annotated Study of the plates
- Measurements and scantlings of timber pieces
- Description of the rigging
- Complete english retranscription of B. Ollivier's manuscript

CONTENT of the DRAWINGS:

1 - Schematic views - Horizontal sections - lines
2 - Vertical sections
3 - General view / elevation of the hull framing
4-5-6 Drawings of 62 frames
7 - Axial timbers and longitudinal section of the framing
8 - The riders and deck beams
9 - Fore woodwork / Bow timbers
10 - Stern woodwork / framing
11- Construction of the Head / bow
12- Ceiling of the hull / inner planking
13- Cross sections / Transversal sections
14- Longitudinal section and accommodations in the hull
15- Gun deck
16- Upper deck
17- Forecastle, quarterdeck and poop-deck
18- Overview and overhead views
19- Front and rear views / forward and stern
20- Fitting (1)
21- Fitting (2)
22- Fitting (3)
23- Masts and yards
24- Fitting of the masts
25- 26- Sails (1:96 scale)
27- Full view under sail (1:72 scale)
28- Belaying plan. Blocks (in the text).
29-VARIOUS.

LOOK INSIDE of the BOOKLET

IMG_20051.jpg IMG_20061.jpg

IMG_20071.jpg IMG_20081.jpg

IMG_20091.jpg IMG_20101.jpg

IMG_20111.jpg IMG_20121.jpg

IMG_20131.jpg IMG_20141.jpg

IMG_20151.jpg IMG_20161.jpg

IMG_20171.jpg

In the following post you can find the LOOK INSIDE of the drawing set ........ to be continued ......

Attachments

• LE_FLEURON_ANGLAIS bd (2).pdf
    794.8 KB · Views: 204
  • lefleuron.pdf
    867.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
PART II of Planset Review:
LE FLEURON
64-gun Ship by Joseph & Blaise OLLIVIER - 1729

by Gerard Delacroix and Jean Boudriot
in scale 1:48 / english translation by Gilles Korent

from the attached Advertisement pdf
2.JPG

4.JPG 5.JPG

LOOK INSIDE of the DRAWINGS
all 29 available drawing sheets are shown or the content visible

IMG_20181.jpg IMG_20201.jpg

IMG_20211.jpg IMG_20221.jpg

IMG_20231.jpg IMG_20241.jpg

IMG_20251.jpg IMG_20261.jpg

IMG_20271.jpg

Another marvelous model.....the Le Fleuron in scale 1:48 built by Pierre Masson

img_06661-jpg.58695

img_06671-jpg.58696

img_06681-jpg.58697

img_06691-jpg.58698

img_06701-jpg.58699

img_06711-jpg.58700

img_06731-jpg.58701

img_06741-jpg.58707

img_06751-jpg.58702

img_06761-jpg.58703

img_06771-jpg.58704

img_06781-jpg.58705

img_06791-jpg.58706

Uwe

Guess what folks...I am a happy guy! First and foremost important I was introduced to Pink Floyd music and don't imagine a day without it, second I can enjoy seeing those brilliant models people building across the world. It is just amazing!! I don't have enough words to thank Uwe for his tremendous job introducing all of us such beautifully build models. THANK YOU!

Wow! This is one incredible model.
The attention to detail is unbelievable.
This may be a silly question, but is this available as a kit?
I wouldn't be able to build this with my present level of experience, but would be stunning to be able to build it sometime in the future.

Wow! This is one incredible model.
The attention to detail is unbelievable.
This may be a silly question, but is this available as a kit?
I wouldn't be able to build this with my present level of experience, but would be stunning to be able to build it sometime in the future.

The shown models are off course all scratch built models. I made the photos during my visit in October at the 1.st INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION OF MODEL SHIPBUILDING in Rochefort, France where I was invited to participate.

You can see much more models etc. in this topic:

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...chefort-france-18-th-21-st-october-2018.2050/

The Le Fleuron is not available as a kit, maybe I shall say "until now" not available.......there are plans of a chinese manufacturer to make a gunnery section model in form of a kit in scale 1:48:

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...e-based-on-le-fleuron-under-preparation.2854/

But I could imagine, that also a complete model could be released one day in future......

The shown models are off course all scratch built models. I made the photos during my visit in October at the 1.st INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION OF MODEL SHIPBUILDING in Rochefort, France where I was invited to participate.

You can see much more models etc. in this topic:

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...chefort-france-18-th-21-st-october-2018.2050/

The Le Fleuron is not available as a kit, maybe I shall say "until now" not available.......there are plans of a chinese manufacturer to make a gunnery section model in form of a kit in scale 1:48:

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...e-based-on-le-fleuron-under-preparation.2854/

But I could imagine, that also a complete model could be released one day in future......

Thanks Uwe,
Probably just as well this is not a kit (yet :)). I may have been tempted to take on something a little too ambitious.
The battle station deck looks rather interesting though.

Thanks Uwe,
Probably just as well this is not a kit (yet :)). I may have been tempted to take on something a little too ambitious.
The battle station deck looks rather interesting though.

The battle station is based on the Le Fleuron, but it could be more or less every two decker.
On the other hand there are some kits available, all Plank on Frames, like the La Salamandre (I built by myself), the Enterprize or the new La Renommee - all of them single deck vessels, with which you can start this type of construction as a good basis for future scratch builts.
On the other hand, there are several very interesting monographies of smaller vessels available, like the Rochefort from Gerard Delacroix (our member @G. DELACROIX ) or the Catarina from Franco Fissore, which are very good scratch builts for beginners.

Take a look f.e. here:
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/overview-of-available-plan-set-monographie-reviews.2888/

General: We should stay every time ambitious, otherwise we would not get better - there are modelers around the world, which started the 74-gun ship or a ship like the Le Fleuron as a first scratch built - some of them with big success.

Take a look at this model:

It is a scratch built Chebec LE REQUIN built in scale 1:48 by André Drouadine - and it was his first model ship ever !!!!!

IMG_07091.JPG

The battle station is based on the Le Fleuron, but it could be more or less every two decker.
On the other hand there are some kits available, all Plank on Frames, like the La Salamandre (I built by myself), the Enterprize or the new La Renommee - all of them single deck vessels, with which you can start this type of construction as a good basis for future scratch builts.
On the other hand, there are several very interesting monographies of smaller vessels available, like the Rochefort from Gerard Delacroix (our member @G. DELACROIX ) or the Catarina from Franco Fissore, which are very good scratch builts for beginners.

Take a look f.e. here:
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/overview-of-available-plan-set-monographie-reviews.2888/

General: We should stay every time ambitious, otherwise we would not get better - there are modelers around the world, which started the 74-gun ship or a ship like the Le Fleuron as a first scratch built - some of them with big success.

Take a look at this model:

It is a scratch built Chebec LE REQUIN built in scale 1:48 by André Drouadine - and it was his first model ship ever !!!!!

View attachment 77049

That is beautifully built.
Way out of my league I am afraid. Do not have the space or the tools for a scratch build. (Sad)

How is all of the decoration on the stern of the model made?
Is this carved by the modeller?
It all depends on modeler abilities and preferences. Yea...some of us will carve while others will use clay or cast metal, Today's day, if you have a CNC machine and ability to use 3D programs you can much simplify this process, but you still need to do some manual carving.

Last edited:
It all depends on modeler abilities and preferences. Yea...some of us will carve while others will use clay or cust metal, Today's day, if you have a CNC machine and ability to use 3D programs you can much simplify this process, but you still need to do some manual carving.

Wow! Huge respect for those guys then.
The carvings on Le Fleuron are absolutely stunning.

How is all of the decoration on the stern of the model made? (Le Fleuron)
Is this carved by the modeller?
I think, that the modeler Jacques Mailliere made his carvings by himself - never forget, that the model is in scale 1:24, so really really big and therefore also the quality of the carvings can be much better - definitely it is a beautiful and amazing model - but you need several people to transport it o_O

Ятоже строю LE FLEURON в масштабе 1:72 если можно выложу несколько фото

Uwe: google translate - Jim, please correct if necessary
I build LE FLEURON on a scale of 1:72 if I can post several photos

15583407058443232926919428370227.jpg

15583408432707637105354132373157.jpg

15583408962958966154052863744658.jpg

15583409877326971420602386984486.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ятоже строю LE FLEURON в масштабе 1:72 если можно выложу несколько фото

Uwe: google translate - Jim, please correct if necessary
I build LE FLEURON on a scale of 1:72 if I can post several photos

View attachment 95783

View attachment 95784

View attachment 95785

View attachment 95786
Hallo and a warme welcome here on board of our forum.
This is a very good model of the Le Fleuron - Very good appearance and work !!!
We would like to see much more of this great model - maybe you could start a building log in the scratch built area of this model - no need to start from the beginning, just where you are

Back