Le Requin 1/48 ZHL model

This week I look a bit ahead and discovered that the inner-keel needs to fit and enclose the ribs. (Pictures show the inner keel not fitting yet). This is no problem, but this just means that I have been sanding all the ribs again. Maybe next week I’ll be ready to do some staining :)

IMG_8623_Original.jpeg

IMG_8624_Original.jpeg

IMG_8720_Original.jpeg

Stunning! Absolutely wonderful build, the spacing and symmetry is really evident and meticulous workmanship is definitely showing in your build!

Looking very good
- interesting will be how you sand the inner side of the frames because of these supports you have every 10 frames.....

Finally, I finished the sanding of the ribs and started with the staining. I have chosen the Royal Teak color (most votes ;) ). The real color is tricky to get on a photo, and I think the last one is the closest to reality. I'm considering to make the keel a darker color (maybe even ebonizing). Anyway, my next post will take a while, since I'll be enjoying my summer vacation abroad for a few weeks.

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8739.jpg

IMG_8740.jpg

IMG_8741.jpg

Finally, I finished the sanding of the ribs and started with the staining. I have chosen the Royal Teak color (most votes ;) ). The real color is tricky to get on a photo, and I think the last one is the closest to reality. I'm considering to make the keel a darker color (maybe even ebonizing). Anyway, my next post will take a while, since I'll be enjoying my summer vacation abroad for a few weeks.

View attachment 385116

View attachment 385117

View attachment 385118

View attachment 385119
Beautiful

Back from my vacation! :) and time for a small update. I have fixed the inner keel and I'm almost finished with the small ribs that need to go in the back. This back part is really tricky, since there are a lot of strange angles connecting the last ribs to the frame.
Also, I have darkened the outer keel. I have added a few drops of black (water-based) ink to the Royal Teak stained solution. I'm happy with the resulting color and it dries up nicely (without staining).
I hope to finish the backside this week, so I can start with the inner planking.

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Back from my vacation! :) and time for a small update. I have fixed the inner keel and I'm almost finished with the small ribs that need to go in the back. This back part is really tricky, since there are a lot of strange angles connecting the last ribs to the frame.
Also, I have darkened the outer keel. I have added a few drops of black (water-based) ink to the Royal Teak stained solution. I'm happy with the resulting color and it dries up nicely (without staining).
I hope to finish the backside this week, so I can start with the inner planking.

View attachment 388424

View attachment 388425

View attachment 388426

View attachment 388427

View attachment 388428

View attachment 388429
great work it's looks beautiful

View attachment 388424

View attachment 388425

View attachment 388426

View attachment 388427

View attachment 388428

View attachment 388429
Good morning. Beautiful. I love the black stem and false keel. The contrast is effective. Cheers Grant

This week, I have started with the strips parallel to the keel, which needed to be cleaned first by sandpaper. In total there will be 5 of these strips equally spaced on each side. To put these strips in place, I use my clamps, which I've ordered from Aliexpress (just look for "Full rib boat model tool Hull wood strip fastening clip wooden Skin clips").
I'll finish the back part afterwards, when the the ribs are secured by these parallel strips.

IMG_8804.jpg

IMG_8808.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg

IMG_8809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This week, I finished the ribs at the back. They took some time, since they are complex shapes. Also, I did the floor on the lower deck. The manual instructs to do it in your own style and provides a limited amount of 4 mm wooden strips. I put them loosely, but I do not think they will be very visible once the model is complete. The next phase will be to install the main deck. This starts with a center beam, which needs to be installed by 12 vertical posts. To determine the correct height, I have trimmed a few main deck beams and place them on the exact position. All in all, this is a challenging and very rewarding step of the construction of the model.

IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg

IMG_8852.jpg

IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_8853.jpg

IMG_8854.jpg

This week, I finished the ribs at the back. They took some time, since they are complex shapes. Also, I did the floor on the lower deck. The manual instructs to do it in your own style and provides a limited amount of 4 mm wooden strips. I put them loosely, but I do not think they will be very visible once the model is complete. The next phase will be to install the main deck. This starts with a center beam, which needs to be installed by 12 vertical posts. To determine the correct height, I have trimmed a few main deck beams and place them on the exact position. All in all, this is a challenging and very rewarding step of the construction of the model.

View attachment 391744

View attachment 391745

View attachment 391746

View attachment 391747

View attachment 391748

View attachment 391749

View attachment 391750
Good morning. Even the skeleton of this ship looks sexy. Very good construction. Cheers Grant

This week, I repeat more or less the same pictures as last week. This time almost all the deck beams are stained and fixed. I took some detailed pictures of the wood to show its fine structure; good to see the fine sanding/polishing of the wood was worth the effort.

IMG_8899.jpg

IMG_8900.jpg

IMG_8901.jpg

IMG_8903.jpg

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8905.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

Back