Le Requin 1/48 ZHL model

Thank you all for your kind words. It keeps reminding me to post weekly the progress. For this time, I can show the cannon-deck and the cove plates of the hull. Although it is a challenging build, the kit is really well done and has a great quality leaving a lot of room for personal touches.

IMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9208.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

This week, I continued with the reinforcement of the bulwarks. The internal strip is at the bottom of the cannons-hatch.
To check the height, I made a cannon and realized that 2 cannons are placed below the poop deck. The manual shows how to rig the cannons almost at its end, but at this point it is impossible to reach below the poop deck. Installing the cannons first makes the construction of the hull very difficult (still needs to sand the bottom part).
I'm still thinking on what is the best way forward.

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

This week, I continued with the reinforcement of the bulwarks. The internal strip is at the bottom of the cannons-hatch.
To check the height, I made a cannon and realized that 2 cannons are placed below the poop deck. The manual shows how to rig the cannons almost at its end, but at this point it is impossible to reach below the poop deck. Installing the cannons first makes the construction of the hull very difficult (still needs to sand the bottom part).
I'm still thinking on what is the best way forward.

View attachment 408039

View attachment 408040

View attachment 408041
Fabulous.

This week I made the second cannon and a first batch of pulleys. The pullyes are made of a compressed wooden composite and need to be sanded into shape (see picture). They are quite small and I can barely hold them between my fingers while sanding. The batch size therefore depends on the soreness of my fingers ;)
Also, I have started installing the sides. Also, not according to the order as mentioned in the manual. I first place outer top sides. Then glue the outer strip from front to back, followed by the top railing, and then fix the outer top-sides. I still need to do the inner sides at the top (these are mentioned first in the manual, but (I guess) they would lead to a too large stiffness of the bulwarks at the poop-deck).
The 2 cannons I'm going to temporarily fix with some tape to hold them in place during the rest of the building process.
I hope you like the pictures!

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9226.jpg

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9228.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

IMG_9230.jpg

IMG_9231.jpg

This week, I worked on the front-side of the ship. It is some kind of construction to hold the front mast in place. I needed a lot of improvisation, since the manual just shows some vague pictures and a remark that the railing needs to be split in 2 parts. Anyway, I'm happy with the result and I hope it will work out when I'll plank the hull.

IMG_9245.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9251.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9253.jpg

Thank you all for your kind words! This motivates me to give a quick update on my latest progress. I've started with some of the decorations and decided to give them a warm gold color, since it gives a nice contrast with the black background and dark brown wood (in my humble opinion).

IMG_9317.jpg

IMG_9318.jpg

IMG_9319.jpg

IMG_9320.jpg

Back