Le Requin by Zhl - MY FIRST POF MODEL

Hello guys, I'm on the way to start my new project: willing to build my first PoF model and the choice fell on "Le Requin".
Someone could think I'm crazy as it's a quite complex model; well you are right but I think that a bit of sane insanity is mandatory in everything we do.
The model belongs to ZHL and is the version in cherry wood scale 1:48.
At the present moment be satisfied to see the assembly ladder and my new home made meter cutter:D
I've been using the one made by Amati but it was a real shit, so I made one on my own leaving only Amati's cutting arrow.
Finally I'm trying to improve my photos that at this moment are terrible; well, one thing at a time.

I began to put all together the pieces of the keel and I already found my first obstacle: I have to make the keel beat, this is very tough and triky!

1702475022301.jpg

1702474335998.jpg

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out how to make the keel beat, it is not a straight line from the stern to the bow, it has to be deeper towards the extremes and thinner on the center. This is a big problem with the milling machine.

Here is the keel, not yet fully glued because I still have to make the beat (I thought it would be easier to make one piece at a time).
Now I have a problem: the trace lines of the beat are present only on one side, the other one is clean, so I do not know if I have to make the beat on one side only or if it is a pervert jocke of the chineese designer.
Anyone could help me please?

1702563600429.jpg

Hi Alexandro! A great start for the new Cazador! If I understand your problem correctly, then perhaps you need to look on the SOS forum. For example: Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit), Username GrantTyler, or Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - Pter. Perhaps you will have an understanding of how to do it correctly, or they will be able to tell you in these Build Logs. I also saw the ZHL user's build log on the forum. True, these users have a slightly different type of Parts Sets, but I think they will tell you if you ask them. Best wishes, Egor.

Thank you guys, you've been so kind. I talked with Mark (Kidsgalore) and he helped me to realize that the answer already was inside the question, as always.
Beats or rabbits (I don't know the correct english term) must be done on both sides and by hand, there is no way to use a fraiser because the inclination changes depending on the zone.
At this level there are no shortcuts so here is the result, handcrafted with those two little chisels.
I must say that working with high quality woods helps a lot, it has been a tough work but extremely satisfactory:)Thumbsup
BTW: I'd like to have a look at "'Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/grants-xebec-1-60-using-jabeque-cazador-occre1-60-kit .11242/post-321034 In this post Grant talked about your Set...", but the link doesn't work.

1702657204592.jpg

1702657204583.jpg

1702657204587.jpg

1702658497658.jpg

I'm sorry. this post should be deleted. Thank you

Last edited:
Beats or rabbits (I don't know the correct english term) must be done on both sides and by hand, there is no way to use a fraiser because the inclination changes depending on the zone.
Alessandro. Yes, if you intend to plank both sides of the hull, the rabbits must be made on both sides , manually, using chisels.
You can also consult the book : Chebec Le Requin - 1750, by Jean Boudriot & H. Berti. There they indicate this precisely.
Buon lavoro !

1702474335998.jpg
That's a great idea. I think I'll try it myself and good luck with your new model

Back