Le Rochefort build log by OlivierF

I’m still waiting for the plans and book from Ancre but was lucky to find Underhill’s books at a used bookstore. What a find! I’ve started reading Volume I which is chock full of details on completing POF building.
Getting excited to start on my Le Rochefort Build.

8FFF8570-6635-40E7-B08C-FC927E097037.jpeg

I have those books too, and that reminds me I need to refresh my reading too.
so far Volume I seems to be a very good reference. I only wish I could find the full size drawings he references throughout as the reduced set at the back of the book is simply too tiny to read.

Be only aware, that some details will not be directly possible to take over, because there were differences in the the structure and construction between english and french ships

Understood. i’m not planning on building Le Rochefort using Underhill’s books but only to learn basic principles and techniques.
Very important. I don’t know your shop status but if you find you need a particular tool to do a job right , get it. Make things easier. Yes it can all be done by hand but ……

Very important. I don’t know your shop status but if you find you need a particular tool to do a job right , get it. Make things easier. Yes it can all be done by hand but ……
Thanks Tony. I’m fairly well set up but do plan on acquiring a couple of bench top tools. Particularly looking at the Proxxon MF-70 Micro Mill… We’ll see What Santa might have in his sack.

Oh great. Just got one myself. It’s the only tool I really wanted and needed and it’s so much better than milling on the lathe like I was doing. You’ll love it.

Ancre shipped the books and plans on 12/5. I cheaped out and ordered without a tracking number. Any idea what others have experienced in shipping times? Just curious as I’m chomping at the bit to get started. Merry Christmas to one and all!

Ancre shipped the books and plans on 12/5. I cheaped out and ordered without a tracking number. Any idea what others have experienced in shipping times? Just curious as I’m chomping at the bit to get started. Merry Christmas to one and all!
Hello Oliver it depends on what shipping method you have chosen, as far as I remember it took Bill about 1 week from France to Florida, but it can also take up to 60 days.

I just received my book and monograph, hurray!! Good thing ANCRE shipped them wrapped in plastic since our wonderful mailman simply dropped the package in the snow! Thanks USPS… ok, done griping all is good with the actual contents. They arrive just in time as I’m pondering my next move on my Cala Esmeralda rigging… I’ll start reading a figuring what wood to order for the frames and keel components.
It’s off to the races! I just need to keep telling myself (like in the story of the turtle and the hare) slow and steady gets to the finish line first… So slow and steady it is.

C35D1DD7-688D-442F-97EC-EA7F8D1A0693.jpeg

Back