LE ROCHEFORT - Harbour yacht from 1787 1:36 by Tobias (Monograph by ANCRE)

Tobias

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

Hello everyone,

first of all a thank you to the admins who opened this group building, also a thank you to Toni aka @Tonip who has put a lot of effort and commitment into getting this thing rolling and of course to all the others who have shown a keen interest in a group building Le Rochefort, because without you we wouldn't be where we are now.

As some of you know, I started with La Palme in February. Now starting with the small harbour yacht gives me the opportunity to teach even more, it will be a bit of a balancing act and I hope it will succeed. I already have Adrian's book and the monograph should be under the tree by Christmas (I love my daughters). I won't start planning until January.

Now for the types of wood I would like to use:
- Pear or (Swiss pear) for the hull, interior and the planks outside.
- Ebony for parts of the planks and various applications.
- Boxwood (Castello) applications.
- Tulipwood (magnolia) or American maple for the deck planks.

Built in admiralty style, starboard closed (planks)
Port side open, if necessary, frames will be removed.
Well then, I hope I haven't forgotten anything, but if I have, don't be afraid to ask.

Tobias, I totally agree with your choices of woods.
Swiss Pear, Boxwood, and Maple for the deck!
Ebony you have to be very careful with.
Hello Tim,
It's good to know that you should be careful with ebony. I have not had any experience with ebony, so maybe you can explain the problems with the wood.

I am also intrigued by what you are all doing here - but I'm just not ready. I need to do at least one POF kit build with good instructions first. Will be watching and cheering you all on (posted here on Tobias' log but intended for the group that is forming).
You'd think that but you really don't... Looking at your other builds you are more than ready... Jump on in, the water is just fine

Ebony is a protected hardwood in the U.S. As you know it is a very hard wood.
It’s dust is some what toxic. It can cause a skin rash and pink eye.
I milled a bunch of ebony for Warrior... Very hard wood, finishes beautifully but does NOT want to bend... If you need anything more than a simple curve or bend you almost need to cut it or carve it in. I have never had a problem with ebony dust but will say it smells like burnt popcorn if you let the saw blade get too hot ROTF

I am also intrigued by what you are all doing here - but I'm just not ready. I need to do at least one POF kit build with good instructions first. Will be watching and cheering you all on (posted here on Tobias' log but intended for the group that is forming).
I never did a POF kit and I managed the Blandford section, never even completed a kit of any kind. If I can do that I’m sure you can do this. The plans and book are very thorough.

I agree with the words by the others.
You are absolutely ready to make a POF scratch model like the Rochefort - The quality of monograph and drawings by Gérard and the type of ship (small single masted yacht without any decoration and complicated metal works) is in my opinion the best basis for a scratch building start.And with the help of the group and members it will be no big problem, maybe only a small challenge....

I have not had any experience with ebony, so maybe you can explain the problems with the wood.
as mentioned already before -
- ebony is toxic, especially the sanding dust can produce some problems
- the fingers are also getting black by the dust - so do not touch directly other woods
- bending behaviour is terrible - so especially for the wales at the bow very problematic
- expensive wood
-> there are alternatives available: black hornbeam as an alternative wood, or painting with black ecoline

Hello Paul,
I am convinced that you will be able to build Le Rochefort, your work is excellent. Le Rochefort is not too heavy and the frame construction should be easier than La Palme for example.

Fabulous with a capital FAB.
Really looking forward to this build!
1st class choice in my humble opinion.
Just wish my small note and from others will lift you, to the highest level of scratch build + your happiness!

Back