Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I've been kind of stalling on my SR. I'm extremely curious how you are going to do your stern gallery. I've looked at many other build, but they don't really show how they made the "curvature" around the upper port and starboard gallery.

I've been kind of stalling on my SR. I'm extremely curious how you are going to do your stern gallery. I've looked at many other build, but they don't really show how they made the "curvature" around the upper port and starboard gallery.
Hello,
Happy to share my experience
Did you see the log I have created on SOS?

I’m curious about how to do it too. It seems a little tricky when I look at others’ builds.

Yes sir, she sure is. That’s why it’s taking so long to plank her. My Connie was a single plank ship and was painted. The Black Pearl was smaller and had one side half opened up. Not as much planking. I might as well be building Noah’s ark. It’s going to take me 100 years to build it.

OIP.tpbumwwsr2T3UQO9ks2a8gHaE8

Last edited:
Making stealers is not as easy as I once envisioned. First, I laid two planks at the appropriate positions. Then I traced the outline of the stealer on the two planks. I cut out the shape, staying inside the pencil mark. I carefully chiseled out the excess wood. ( If you let the glue fully harden, it’s more difficult.) Then insert the stealer and trim as necessary while the stealer is inserted into the space. Finally, glue into position. At least, that’s the way I did it. 0C64EAD8-7680-46C6-A5A3-9335671BAA38.jpegBD6FA6DE-9B1A-46C9-B511-8DB5FA29EB22.jpegFA79D63F-CBF4-4C99-89A5-915D7953E9BB.jpeg

You are almost there Vic.
Good looking
By the way, I see a small glitch at the rear top of the sapele planking?
That's true, Gilbert. I mangled my second try at a stealer. I can add a splinter to cover it. I think it will be covered by a wale at that position. At any rate, it will not show when I am done. And thanks for the compliment. And to complement the compliment, your ship is beautiful! I am anxiously awaiting the rest of your rigging. I know that's a major challenge. I may have to get a new chair that goes up and down or a table that does so. I anticipate a sore back for months.:(

My daddy always told me, “Measure twice, cut once.” On these filler planks, I measured twice and cut three times. Each time, making smalls cuts to make sure I didn’t cut too much. View attachment 265849
You are almost there Vic.
Good looking
By the way, I see a small glitch at the rear top of the sapele planking?
Better, @Gilbertm ?image.jpg

Back