Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

For some reason, I love this stage of the build, where you create a skeleton or backbone of the ship. Maybe because once you install all the bulkheads you can visualize the lines, or maybe because this is the most important step for the rest of the assembly? I have no answer, but I learned, that you cannot underestimate the importance and precision of installing the bulheads correctly against the false keel.

You are off to a good start, Vic!
I agree Jimsky! This is the foundation of the ship, which everything after it depends upon. It is the most critical and sometimes underestimated part of the build. It has an inherent beauty…as you start to visualize what you will end up with. ;)

It was a pleasure to see it coming together. This is the first ship where the decks fit together the first time without a lot of adjustment. Now it's time to fair the front bulkheads and finish gluing them in.
hi Vic
You are making fast progress here.
I had the same issue as you with some bulkhead being too narrow.

hi Vic
You are making fast progress here.
I had the same issue as you with some bulkhead being too narrow.
When I attached the deck, it seems the decks are a little (2-3 mm) high where the aft bulkheads begin. I thought I had pushed the bulkhead down sufficiently. But it's just enough that it looks a tad high at that point--not perfectly straight. I suppose a little sanding will work. Also, the instructions note I will have to add some scrap wood in the aft portion. Do you know what that's about?

When I attached the deck, it seems the decks are a little (2-3 mm) high where the aft bulkheads begin. I thought I had pushed the bulkhead down sufficiently. But it's just enough that it looks a tad high at that point--not perfectly straight. I suppose a little sanding will work. Also, the instructions note I will have to add some scrap wood in the aft portion. Do you know what that's about?
Hello Vic
THe reason why I added a 5mm filler under the front of the poop deck was that it looked too much leaning forward.

Looking at the instructions, it appears the main deck slopes upward aft. Also, the deck slopes toward the hull from the center, providing a slight arch in the deck. I had to use clamps and pins to hold the deck down on the sides. Did the actual ships have a crown like that so the water would drain to the sides?image.jpg

The slight arch to the sides is normal. That is why there are scuppers in the waterways to keep the deck clear from standing water. The longitudinal curve aft seems quite pronounced, but only the experienced SR builders will tell be able to tell you if that is normal.

No Vic. Don't sand that down now. Wait until you fair the whole hull. That way you make sure that everything is in line. That curvature of the deck actually helps during the fairing process.

No Vic. Don't sand that down now. Wait until you fair the whole hull. That way you make sure that everything is in line. That curvature of the deck actually helps during the fairing process.
I suppose that makes sense. Only the main deck seems to stick out to the bulkheads, though.

I waited to install the aftermost bulkhead till the first three decks were in. It stands at a bit of an angle, and I thought the decks might guide me a bit on how much of an angle it would be. image.jpgimage.jpg

Lots of progress for your first week looks magnificent. That's a lot of little boxes, l was happy when they were all installed on the Pearl and there where olny 20 to do. Did the parts for the work stand come with the kit?

Back