Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

The instructions have some errors. All kit instructions have errors. Since catheads had two or sometimes three sheaves, I would scratch build some more detail into one of the examples below, and use two sheaves (pulley wheels) separated by a thing square of scrap wood inside the hole you carve out of each side of the set of pieces C6. Instead of using the kit parts C7 for the sheaves, get a dowel of similar diameter, and use a table saw or band saw to cut two, thin slices to make your own sheaves, then use a small needle file to file a shallow groove around each sheave. Better yet, spin the dowel in a drill and cut the shallow groove which accepts the rope first, then slice off the wheel from the dowel with a saw. If you don't have a copy of the book below, you may want to find one. It has so many pictures which allow you to build beyond the overly simplified features found in kits and make your model more detailed.

From Historic Ship Models by Willem zu Mondfeld
View attachment 287013
That book is a good find. Thanks for the suggestion, Kurt!

That book is a good find. Thanks for the suggestion, Kurt!
It's not just a good book, it's a GREAT book! It contains a variety of styles and shapes for each fitting and feature found on ships across three centuries and many countries. Although it doesn't have everything, it has a lot more than many other books show you. This helps you understand how ship fitting evolved over time. Once your are familiar with many of the fittings, you can look at any model and know the general time period the ship was constructed within 50 years.

It's not just a good book, it's a GREAT book! It contains a variety of styles and shapes for each fitting and feature found on ships across three centuries and many countries. Although it doesn't have everything, it has a lot more than many other books show you. This helps you understand how ship fitting evolved over time. Once your are familiar with many of the fittings, you can look at any model and know the general time period the ship was constructed within 50 years.
Das ist cool!

Maybe someone can help me out with these instructions. They say to combine the two c7 cathead pieces together, but those two pieces are actually c6s. View attachment 287005
Then they say to join the real c7s and place them in the the cavity of the two c6s.
View attachment 287006
The fun part is the two c7 pulleys are just as wide as the combined c6s. No way to cut out a rectangle big enough to accommodate them.
View attachment 287007
It looks like I can only use one pulley. How did @BigMike, @paulb, and @Gilbertm do it, I wonder. Did they run into the same problem?
Vic
What I did is to file the C6 squares in order to make them slightly larger so that C7 fits in

Vic
What I did is to file the C6 squares in order to make them slightly larger so that C7 fits in
Except the C7 pulleys are too wide. When combined, they are as thick as the cathead beams. Maybe I’ll file down the C7 pulleys to about half their size. I also like Kurt‘s suggestion about having a piece between the pulleys. I’ll have to see how I can design that.

I measured the slots for the gammoning at 10 mm long and 5 mm in between. That should give me ample space to work in the gammons. Hopefully, they will look fairly vertical. If not, that’s the way it will be. I also placed some stops on the bowsprit for the gammons. The kit doesn’t call for them, but I think I’ve seen them on other ships and it makes sense that they would help keep them from sliding down the bowsprit. 684105F9-EB31-4A54-B58F-E75E1D797DCA.jpegDEAB3523-6753-430E-98B5-B2F79074E70A.jpegimage.jpg

Vic, looking good. I am going to be able to start working on the SR today. The ice and snow has pretty much shut our little town down so I can concentrate on the many things that need to be put together.

Schools are closed here too and many businesses. It’s 28 degrees! In San Antonio! A little ice on the streets. I saw a meme where someone spilled a glass of ice on the road and yelled, “Close the schools! Ice on the road!”

Vic, looking good. I am going to be able to start working on the SR today. The ice and snow has pretty much shut our little town down so I can concentrate on the many things that need to be put together.
I’ll be following your build, kemosabbe!

Reactions: Jay

In context|nautical|lang=en terms the difference between bowsprit and gammon​

is that bowsprit is (nautical) a spar projecting over the prow of a sailing vessel to provide the means of adding sail surface while gammon is (nautical) a rope fastening a bowsprit to the stem of a ship (usually called a gammoning).

As nouns the difference between bowsprit and gammon

is that bowsprit is (nautical) a spar projecting over the prow of a sailing vessel to provide the means of adding sail surface while gammon is the lower or hind part of a side of bacon or gammon can be (backgammon) a victory in backgammon achieved when the opponent has not taken a single stone; (also, rarely, backgammon, the game itself) or gammon can be (nautical) a rope fastening a bowsprit to the stem of a ship (usually called a gammoning) or gammon can be (dated) chatter, ridiculous nonsense.

As a verb gammon is​

to cure bacon by salting or gammon can be (backgammon) to beat by a gammon (without the opponent taking a stone) or gammon can be to lash with ropes (on a ship) or gammon can be to deceive, to lie plausibly.

Back