Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

See vic. I will advise you to redo the reef-season. I do this. I cut the cable segments, tie a knot in the middle. Then I thread these pieces through the holes made by the awl in the sail. I stretch it out to the knot. Fix it with a drop of glue. Then I knit a knot on the other side, and with the help of tweezers I pull the knot close to the sail. Then they pull these segments down and fix them again with a drop of glue so that they look down. We cut all the seasons to the desired length. They're a little short for you. It should be enough to wrap around the canvas of the sail, plus the yard itself..

I think I’ll leave them drying. They’re wet with my tears.
If your tears are starchy enough, you could use the sail stretching jig and a water balloon to shape your sail until they dry. :D
The first sails are always an experiment and go very slow. Once you do a couple of them, you get a method figured out. Take your time, and they'll work out.

I understand that part. I was just trying to research a bit and see if someone had run across something I haven’t. The more I get into ship building, the more I am intrigued about the historical aspects. I also understand that the Victory and the Constitution aren’t active seagoing vessels at the present and might not accurately portray active vessels of an earlier time. I’m just casting about for more knowledge on the subject. I’m not picking a fight.
Ah but the Conny is a active sailing ship, she was out at sea for the 4th of July festivities, and I saw a photo on line where they fired a broadsides for the 4th event.

What a sight to have the HMS Victory and USS Constitution maybe the USCG Eagle all out together for a tall ship sail, but we can only dream at this time.

If your tears are starchy enough, you could use the sail stretching jig and a water balloon to shape your sail until they dry. :D
The first sails are always an experiment and go very slow. Once you do a couple of them, you get a method figured out. Take your time, and they'll work out.
I have not heard of a sail stretching jig, what might one look like?

Back