Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Now I’m wondering if I should have cut into the bulkheads to inset the plywood gunport strips. Will they leave a ridge when I cover them with planks?

Now I’m wondering if I should have cut into the bulkheads to inset the plywood gunport strips. Will they leave a ridge when I cover them with planks?
I don't think it would be necessary. Ask yourself, what do I trying to archive by doing this? However, if you will cut into the bulkheads, you will change geometry of the bulkhead. when you lay down the first layer of planks, there will be a gap in height between the gunport ply and the planking material, IMHO

I don't think it would be necessary. Ask yourself, what do I trying to archive by doing this? However, if you will cut into the bulkheads, you will change geometry of the bulkhead. when you lay down the first layer of planks, there will be a gap in height between the gunport ply and the planking material, IMHO
Won't that cause a ridge or bump in the planking?

Are you saying, that the gunport board is thicker than the first layer plank? I am a bit confused.

The strip broke partially through when I was fitting it, so I added some pva/water solution to the crack and put a clamp on it. I had to take off the head of the clamp and put it back on upside down to get it to fit under the false deck. I hope this works!image.jpg

One of my Air Force instructors once said the difference in planning a mission thoroughly and executing it was like measuring something with a micrometer, marking it with a grease pencil, and cutting it with a blunt axe. In building this beast, I find myself planning very precisely with a micrometer, but the execution never seems to be as precise.

Hi Vic. I just caught up reading your build and will be following along. Watch button clicked. Nice work so far. I have been considering this ship as well and your information on the gun supports and bulkheads is invaluable.

One of my Air Force instructors once said the difference in planning a mission thoroughly and executing it was like measuring something with a micrometer, marking it with a grease pencil, and cutting it with a blunt axe. In building this beast, I find myself planning very precisely with a micrometer, but the execution never seems to be as precise.
That's is no wonder, dear Vic. If execution would be that easy, everyone would be a pilot to fly a plane. Who said it will be easy? :p

Hi Vic. I just caught up reading your build and will be following along. Watch button clicked. Nice work so far. I have been considering this ship as well and your information on the gun supports and bulkheads is invaluable.
Thanks, Jeff! The watching is mutual.

So, I was bending a lot of these little nails when attaching the plywood gun port strips to the bulkheads. It finally dawned on me to drill through the strips and place the nails in the holes with a needle nose pliers and hammer them into just the bulkheads. Never bent another nail. image.jpg

Back