Learning to carve and sculpt in wood

Hello dear friends
Yesterday I started studying as part of a school dedicated to the field of creation and art in wood.
I chose to take a course on wood carving and sculpture.
We learned about the raw material / wood, types of wood and properties, sculptors of different types and sizes, macbeth, and the precautionary rules when working with the various tools.
We experimented working with the chisels on the wood, in straight, curved lines, with the opposite direction of the fibers, creating circles and ellipses and towards the end of the lesson we started working on creating a relief of a flower by cutting the wood.
I can say that it was a real pleasure to learn ability in working with the sculptors and the wood.
My desire is to develop an ability to sculpt shapes of the various sculptures installed in the bows of the ships and at the stern and other wooden ornaments. There is still a long way to go and I still have a lot to learn and experience.
I opened the group to pull out for more friends who want to study with me, As well as to friends who have experience and abilities in wood sculpting and carving on small scales, share with us tips and even regular written instruction, photos and videos documenting step by step sculpting and carving processes, appropriate wood types, recommended tools and anything that will help us develop these skills.
The teacher in the course is a talented and charming guy, he has exhibited his works in museums and galleries in my country and around the world, he teaches modestly and from the heart. I am attaching some pictures from the process of building and creating in wood
20220225_115223.jpg20220225_115230.jpg20220225_115243.jpg

Hello dear friends
During the course I turned to the teacher and explained to him my desires and goals - to sculpt in wood the figureheads of the ships and sculptures that adorned ships.
The teacher recommended that I sculpt in plasticine a figure I would like to sculpt, so I chose a unicorn.
He explained that through the creation in plasticine I would understand the proportions of the character I would choose to carve + sculpt in wood.
So I sat down today and started making the unicorn, I was able to produce the figure without final and precise finishes.
I will attach photos to impress
20220227_220831.jpg20220227_220814.jpg20220227_220753.jpg

I wish you a lot of fun and success in your journey learning carving
Your first attempt with the unicorn is very good looking - a good idea to get a feeling for such ornaments and figureheads

Hello dear friends
During the course I turned to the teacher and explained to him my desires and goals - to sculpt in wood the figureheads of the ships and sculptures that adorned ships.
The teacher recommended that I sculpt in plasticine a figure I would like to sculpt, so I chose a unicorn.
He explained that through the creation in plasticine I would understand the proportions of the character I would choose to carve + sculpt in wood.
So I sat down today and started making the unicorn, I was able to produce the figure without final and precise finishes.
I will attach photos to impress
View attachment 293764View attachment 293765View attachment 293766

WOW Shota, the unicorn looks fantastic. I wish I could do something like that.

Daniel

I will be watching your progress closely my friend. You are a brave man - I would never attempt something like that!

hi dear friends
In the last lesson from yesterday we continued learning the basics of carving, which we applied them in carving the flower - we learned how to analyze a relief image, the order of carving operations (inside and out) and how the "optical illusion" of depth versus points of equal height is created. We are still in the midst of working on the flower.
20220304_115703.jpg
As I mentioned, our teacher is a very professional and nice guy, so in addition to the standard lesson content he gives me content in learning sculpture / carving on a small scale, in my case he taught me how to transfer The figure of the horse I created in plasticine to a block of Swiss wood / pine. For carving. We created the rough contours for the character and I need to continue deepening them.
I have not yet had time to take a picture for you, when I return to my house I will send a picture of the pine block that is starting to take shape.
The problem is I have a hard time finding carving tools and chisels at the right scale. So if someone who has suitable tools and has not used them for years and is willing to pass them on, I would love to adopt them. In an internet search I found that there are too many manufacturers and types, when I contacted Mikhail in Russia who makes amazing tools Ranging from $ 340-660, I have no criticism, God forbid. So if you have recommendations on the right types of tools, Any recommendation and relevant information regarding the tools, attractive suppliers and even willingness of any of you to send me suitable tools that are not used at a nominal price (of course I will pay for the delivery), so you will be greeted.

Regardless, I attach to you a beautiful picture I just took as part of the daily jogging, a field of red anemones blooming against a background of green vegetation, with the arrival of spring in our country, in prayer for peace and tranquility for all of us.
20220305_112534.jpg

I will be watching your progress closely my friend. You are a brave man - I would never attempt something like that!
Just try and don't give up on the first attempt. Every attempt you do is perfect and every attempt next is better. That's how you must think about it. You have to discover your talent.

you can google on "miniature carving chisels"

Dear Steep
Thank you very much for referring to the site, the products look of the highest quality, but the issue of price is a recurring challenge.
I will have to wait for a second hand or sale opportunity. If anyone is familiar with good quality products on sites like aliexpress, banggood.com and the like at a reasonable price, I would love to get a notification :)Thumbsup

the only advice I can give you is the method I use. I'm very satisfied about these small chisels witch come in a set.
but the method I love to make the little carvings is drilling like Uwe before mentioned in another post about Ivan Trtanj. Look here for the tools
and I use drills like these

Thank you for the beautiful picture of the flowers my friend! Your carving is coming along in leaps and bounds - I am very impressed!

Shota

Take a look to these carving tools made in USA. If quality is reasonable as well as price. Then we can see if I can help with shipping to you.

You Google them and vendors will pop up. If shipping to Israel, from one of the vendors is too expensive, I can take a look online how it will cost if I ship them to you.

I do not do carving, so I can't talk about their quality.

Cheers
Daniel

There are a number of YouTube videos on making small carving tools. They can be forged and filed out of masonry nails, for example. (Hardened fasteners means they can be annealed and formed and re-hardened.) Making these mini tools is easy compared to carving wood and can save considerable funds. This also allows you to make custom width chisels and special curved carvers to get into tight spaces. Other than a hammer and anvil and files the only tools are brick to form a little make-shift box to contain the heat and an inexpensive torch. I have a little collection of scrap iron for anvils as these do not need to be fancy and do not even need to look like an anvil.

Please do not use this knowledge to fashion scale models of conflict vessels. Please build models that represent joy and production, not fear and destruction. Please do not show war implements to children.

Last edited:
Dear Friends,
I would like to ask A question about carving / sculpting in boxwood:
whether it is very hard to need knock sculptors and not hand sculptors, or whether it is soft enough and suitable for working with hand sculptors and for small-scale sculpture like figuredhead ?
thanks

Hello dear friends
Tonight I was finally able to work on the horse carving.
I used mostly a crescent-shaped knife, and carpentry file, And two relatively poor quality chisels.
Of course this is a small step in a long process, but for a beginner like me in the field I am satisfied.
20220305_131215.jpg20220309_230504.jpg20220309_231855.jpg20220309_231944.jpg20220309_232005.jpg20220309_232023.jpg20220309_232037.jpg20220309_231623.jpg20220309_230622.jpg20220309_231823.jpg

Back