Lempi, a steam powered half open launch built in 1877 in Warkaus, Finland

Thank you Stephen. Yes, when running with compressed air the engine behaves almost the same. It seems that it has only two modes: Complete stillstand and full speed.
This is why I don't like very much about playing with steam, my ongoing project is an open launch with one cylinder steam engine which is powered by an electric gearmotor located hidden under the floor panels. Much easier to control the speed and behaves like a real steam engine with low speed so that you can really see the moving parts.
The engine, an early Stuart was donated to me by one of my friends who didn't have much to do with it. So I promised to build a boat for it. There will be a fake boiler installed on the gearmotor with all electronics inside:

View attachment 207941View attachment 207942
Hi Moxis,

It is an intriguing problem with your steam engine waiting for a solution. I take it that you don't really want to fault find your steam engine, that's ok.
I am happy to make suggestions if you wish.

Your open launch looks very nice, the electric motor is a good idea if you don't want to do live steam.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Last edited:

Hi Moxis,

It is an intriguing problem with your steam engine waiting for a solution. I take it that you don't really want to fault find your steam engine, that's ok, I am happy to make suggestions if you wish.

Your open launch looks very nice, the electric motor is a good idea if you don't want to do live steam.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Lovely work, Moxis!
I have nearly all the tools using which a steam engine could be built, but I haven't got either the patience, nor the expertise to do so - so I can just admire your work.
One word about the possible reasons why your engine runs the way it does - I assume that the friction in the engine is a bit on the high side, this is why it starts running only with higher pressure. I haven't got any solution for this though. The second engine might be built with somewhat looser tolerances.
Again, great work, congratulations!
János

Thanks Stephen and Janos! You both are right. I think the problem is too tight tolerances during building so that there is too much friction between the parts all around the engine. This is why I am not very interested to dismantle the whole engine and start to grind a bit here and there to have it run more easily. I rather let it be and concentrate myself into new projects.
As I told earlier I like more building of models than using them, so perhaps the new project will be a static one without any moving parts. We will see....