Let's get more people into wooden ship building!

I live in West Cambridgeshire. Do you? Or nearby Beds.
would you be interested in sharing detailed work on the rigging
of either of my named 16th Century historic Galleon projects?

Retiree Ian

A quick update on our efforts:

In this latest issue of Smithsonian Magazine, we are running a 2-page ad, inviting people to the hobby, with our promotion of "build the dory, send a picture and get a full store credit".

The team we brought together to answer the call is made exclusively of our own customers. So when somebody calls, he/she will talk to a fellow ship modeler, somebody that knows what he is talking about.

Smithsonian-Dory-SpreadD.jpg

I would like to say I was trying to get this here in the UK as a first model and Cornwall Model Boats appear to be the only company over here that stock them.
Sadly they appear to be out of stock of most of the Model Shipways products and postage costs are prohibitive from the States along with any import duties that I may get stung for.

I recently joined this forum and have found this conversation interesting. I scratch built a banks dory 40+ years ago using John Gardner’s “The Dory Book”. It was in 1/24 scale. I recently built another in 1/48 for my O scale model railroad. I have found building boat models very achievable. They can be completed in weeks, not months or years. I have others on my list to build. This type of Promotion from Model Shipways is a great idea to promote the hobby with an achievable kit build.
My 10 year old grandson is finishing up a plastic model of the USS Texas in 1/350 and has a CVL (Light Aircraft Carrier) in the same scale waiting in the wings. He is a much better modeler than I was at that age! There is still hope!
Pete
Of course you can build a dory in weeks. The simplest boat shape ever. Rounded shapes are a whole different thing

I finally managed to get one of these from Model Expo via Amazon USA and it was delivered today. Not only that I now accidently, cough, cough have another as I took advantage of an offer of their 3 beginner kits combo which includes the Dory,
Hopefully these three kits should be with me on Monday.
Wish me luck.

I finally managed to get one of these from Model Expo via Amazon USA and it was delivered today. Not only that I now accidently, cough, cough have another as I took advantage of an offer of their 3 beginner kits combo which includes the Dory,
Wish me luck.
We wish you luck! :)

Wish me luck.
and a lot of fun ....

Our quest to bring more people into wood modeling continues!
This time we are (re) launching the Midwest 966 Grand Banks Dory 1:12 Scale.
Different from our own Model Shipways Grand Banks Dory 1:24 (10" long), the Midwest version has a sail an it is much bigger, 15-1/2" long.
A lot of room for customization and add-ons.

Many thanks for Jerry Cordell and David Grasek (the version with the unfolded sail), for the pictures of their build.

IMG_1555.jpegMidwest_dory.pngIMG_1552.jpeg

A quick question for you more advanced modellers: How many of you take on an apprentice? I have found this a great way to spread the word and the skills. We cannot let them die out. I have been scratch building for more than 50 years, some good, some not so good, but I have never given up trying to advance my skill level. For the past 12 years I have been teaching my skills to an apprentice, am on my second now and about to start my third. How about it folks, do you share your hard won skills with the next generation?

Bob

How about it folks, do you share your hard won skills with the next generation?
Hi Bob.

This is what we are trying to do here, on our forum. It is a virtual apprentice, and many newcomers can learn our techniques. Our more experienced scale modelers don't mind sharing their skills and methods, Also, I think we are a good source to learn history as well.

P.S. At least, we are trying to...

A quick question for you more advanced modellers: How many of you take on an apprentice? I have found this a great way to spread the word and the skills. We cannot let them die out. I have been scratch building for more than 50 years, some good, some not so good, but I have never given up trying to advance my skill level. For the past 12 years I have been teaching my skills to an apprentice, am on my second now and about to start my third. How about it folks, do you share your hard won skills with the next generation?

Bob
This is a wonderful initiative, sir! I am sure it will bear results. Carry on!

Hi Bob.

This is what we are trying to do here, on our forum. It is a virtual apprentice, and many newcomers can learn our techniques. Our more experienced scale modelers don't mind sharing their skills and methods, Also, I think we are a good source to learn history as well.

P.S. At least, we are trying to...
Every wooden kit we manufacture goes out with an invitation to join Ships of Scale!

It's one of the oldest and most rewarding hobbies in the world. Used to be huge. But then came plastic kits, then video games, internet, smart phones... and our world got smaller.

Some people think "I'll never be able to build something like that". Well, we don't believe in it. And we put our money where our mouth is.

Here is the deal: You buy the Dory - with or without tools - build it and send us a picture of you with your masterpiece. We will GIVE YOU BACK everything you spent in store credit.
Chances are you will build wooden ships for the rest of your life.

If you build plastic kits, now it's the opportunity to give it a try. And if you already are a wood modeler, help us spread the word.

Let's make wooden ship building great again ;)!

Buy The Dory Here
Hallo @Model Shipways
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Wish me luck.
I would like to say that regarding the ETA of my model shipwright kit I ordered direct from Model Expo that it actually arrived on the preceding Friday.
I think I'm right in saying that I ordered it on the Sunday so it took less than 5 full days to get from the States to me here in the UK. Fantastic service. I've waited longer than that for UK companies to dispatch items to me.
I have completed my original Dory and have started on the Pram.
The second Dory I will be passing on to a friend. He is an excellent carpenter in real life and as built 2 wood frame, canvas covered, two man kayaks, so the dory will be a cinch for him. I will add that he is a skilled railway modeller too.

I would like to say that regarding the ETA of my model shipwright kit I ordered direct from Model Expo that it actually arrived on the preceding Friday.
I think I'm right in saying that I ordered it on the Sunday so it took less than 5 full days to get from the States to me here in the UK. Fantastic service. I've waited longer than that for UK companies to dispatch items to me.
I have completed my original Dory and have started on the Pram.
The second Dory I will be passing on to a friend. He is an excellent carpenter in real life and as built 2 wood frame, canvas covered, two man kayaks, so the dory will be a cinch for him. I will add that he is a skilled railway modeller too.
So glad to hear that everything worked out fine. Hope to see your (and your friend's) builds soon!

Back