LONGBOAT for La Salamandre in 1:48 (CAF)

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

After a longer period not working on my 1:48 La Salamandre (see link), I restarted the activities in the workshop with a small project in the project.

Within the kit of the bomb ketch, two boats are included. A cutter with 13 cm and a longboat with 16,8 cm.
Both are small POF models and are also available alone, therefore I started a new small building log for this boats.

NIDALE-model-Laser-cut-wood-Antique-Ship-model-kit-Sacle-1-48-La-Salamandre-Ship-s.jpg_640x640...jpg

the longboat in scale 1:48
s-l1600.jpg

Each kit is packed in a small box - so everything necessary for the boats is included
IMG_21571.jpg

IMG_21601.jpg

In the following I will show the Longboat
Content:
IMG_29371a.jpg

IMG_29381a.jpg

The small keel with the parts
IMG_29411.jpg

Dry-fitted in the jig - visible are also the frames of the boat - very accurate laser cut
IMG_29791a.jpg

Here you can see the small a fragile rips / frames of the Salamandre longboat
IMG_30031a.jpg

and fitted on the keel

IMG_30041a.jpg

IMG_30051a.jpg

IMG_30061a.jpg

IMG_30071a.jpg

IMG_30091a.jpg

IMG_30081a.jpg

to be continued ....... many thanks for your interest

Hi Uwe,

Is this all in cherry?
Hallo Maarten,
yes, it is Cherry......only the rips / frames are a different timber, but I can not say which kind. It is slightly lighter than the Cherry.
But it is a good choice, due to the fact, that these parts are more stabile, than they would be in cherry. The cross section dimension of the frames is less than 2mm

Hallo Uwe, so the ribs are from wood (timber) not plywood, correct?
Now you make me anxious - I have to check it and make a clean cut through the timber and sand it carefully to see !!
I did not remove the char until now and wanted to make it after the hull structure is stabilized with some planks
BTW: The frames are only 1mm in square - so very fragile

Now you make me anxious - I have to check it and make a clean cut through the timber and sand it carefully to see !!
I did not remove the char until now and wanted to make it after the hull structure is stabilized with some planks
BTW: The frames are only 1mm in square - so very fragile
many thanks, Uwe. The reason I asked, I have built a similar model longboat (definitely not from CAF models) and the frames where from plywood. They where super-thin, 1 mm and fragile.

many thanks, Uwe. The reason I asked, I have built a similar model longboat (definitely not from CAF models) and the frames where from plywood. They where super-thin, 1 mm and fragile.
Jim, your anticipation was correct - it is a very good made plywood with three layers.
IMG_30621.jpg

Some progress to show and one photo which I forgot to post last time

The keel of the Salamandre longboat prepared
IMG_30591.jpg

IMG_30601.jpg

To bring planking into the necessary shape, I prepared a small form, let us see tomorrow, if the form is good enough
IMG_47941.jpg

waiting for the planks I started the inside structure with the keelson and the bottom planking of the Longboat
IMG_47961.jpg

IMG_47971.jpg

IMG_47991.jpg

IMG_48001.jpg

BTW: frame 17 was broken on one side by heavy seas - my fingers are too thick - it will be repaired later

to be continued ......

Looks like a nice little kit, and you said it was available to buy separately?
Mine were part of the Salamandre kit.
But they are also available separate - maybe you should contact Max
or check ebay or other portals
search with "salamandre + longboat" or "salamandre + cutter"
on ebay they cost 25 US$

looks like you are of the good start, Uwe. What kind of glue did you use to glue frames and for future use with planks?
I am a typical wood-glue modeler - and try as much as possible to use this type of glue - In germany and austria the standard glue is from company Ponal
Dry in 5 minutes, on waterbasis, so you can correct if necessary with some water and the joint is unglued

61PWKahkuaL._SY879_.jpg

Some small progress today, could work for one hour.....

IMG_30811.jpg

Good to have these small plastic clamps - not very strong, exactly what I needed for this thin elements
IMG_30831.jpg

IMG_30841.jpg

IMG_30851.jpg

The first plank is installed
IMG_30891.jpg

IMG_30901.jpg

IMG_30931.jpg

IMG_30971.jpg

The planks for one side of the longboat
IMG_30881.jpg

IMG_30981.jpg

to be continued .......

In order to install the next planks it is necessary to remove the skeleton from the jig

IMG_31031.jpg

IMG_31051.jpg

IMG_31061.jpg

IMG_31071.jpg

Yesterday I installed two planks on one side, but I am not happy with the result - maybe I have to remove them ..... to be continued ....

Back