Lougre le Coureur 1776 CAF Model by Chello

Nice Chello, did you buy some of those pricy files to accomplish? Are they going to be a necessity to add to the build?

Nice Chello, did you buy some of those pricy files to accomplish? Are they going to be a necessity to add to the build?
Looked at the pricy ones , decided on discount Stanley ones ( £8) . They work very well but might not be as durable as the pricy ones. If I decide to buy more POF models I might invest but these will do fine for now.

Great! That’s good to know... do you know if anyone has done more authentic framing in this model for the deck framing? Using knees, carlings, mast and hatch partners etc?

Great! That’s good to know... do you know if anyone has done more authentic framing in this model for the deck framing? Using knees, carlings, mast and hatch partners etc?
This model just very recently came out so other than Tom from CAF, no one has completed this kit. There are some scratch built models about though.

Hi Don, I file them after assembly. It gives me a better “stemless” joint where the futtock joints the floor and top timbers and it is also better to leave the parts untreated as this will give you a more accurate fit when you assemble the individual ribs using the drawing as the drawings are based on the parts before fairing. I initially did remove some of the char prior to assembling the ribs but I have now decided it is to treat the ribs after assembly all together. I will attach a pic that hopefully shows the continuing lines after filing the complete ribs on the subsequent ribs.
View attachment 184478View attachment 184479

THANK YOU VERY MUCH CHELLO, I HOPE TO START MINETHE END OF NEXT WEEK. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
It is also my experience, that you should assemble a complete frame and fair afterwards - I tried it different on one frame and the result wasn´t so good !

@Chello : your three frames are looking very good - especially on midship frames you acn immediately see how good theses teeth of three frames are fitting one another - Very good work !!!
And I am happy, that your files are also working very well - they produce also a very good surface
and something else: good, that you started midship frames - more fore and aft will take more time, but with more experience it is getting much faster - I am very happy, that I finished the main works on the frames during the weekend

It is also my experience, that you should assemble a complete frame and fair afterwards - I tried it different on one frame and the result wasn´t so good !

@Chello : your three frames are looking very good - especially on midship frames you acn immediately see how good theses teeth of three frames are fitting one another - Very good work !!!
And I am happy, that your files are also working very well - they produce also a very good surface
and something else: good, that you started midship frames - more fore and aft will take more time, but with more experience it is getting much faster - I am very happy, that I finished the main works on the frames during the weekend
I echo what Uwe stated. Start with the Mid-frame ribs to get the feel for it. The fore and aft ones are much harder!!

But this is a good point - and we can discuss this in a separate topic.
I will to start asap a general topic like "Ideas for Pimping the Coureur"
-> better will be "Bashing ideas for the Coureur - kit" ......

I was wondering more if there is a plan set or resource available to use for authentic deck framing, would a cutter have similar framing like the Alert? Or is the French lugger totally different? If you start a thread somewhere else can you put a link in this log or yours?

After days of endless filing it finally feels I’m getting somewhere. I have dry fitted the frames I faired on the keel in the jig (good place to keep then and a good motivator as you see something taking shape). Very happy with the fit so far, considering I will give all the frames a final work over before the stage where they get glued to the keel. Particularly the top timbers will need accurate fairing before assembly as I have done them roughly now. I have decided to sand and fair the inside of the frames after assembly to get an even smooth overall finish. Hope to get all the frames done this weekend and then it’s the aftcastle next. Had a look at the parts and this step looks tricky. Hoping some of the group builds will overtake me so I can learn from others.

F4CC09A4-66F3-46D3-AC5F-6496E94E447D.jpeg3DA7BC00-2D48-4CB8-8C89-92F4418AF77B.jpeg315DC8DB-348C-4B94-831E-45A538A46B11.jpeg4917FD1E-740E-4435-A1D4-6DBF0CAC9FA9.jpeg4B95E59A-8E23-4E66-871A-08B436D260BD.jpeg

very nice clean work Chello
Cheers kiddo. To be honest I have al aya been very intimidated by the cleanliness and crispy finishing of others. I now know that besides experience, and types of wood, tools, skills , the amount of alcohol consumed the day before, the light and camera angle, it mostly depends on patience and looking 3 steps ahead. With My first frames I wanted them to look perfect, now I realise they need to go through many processes first before they have to look “perfect”.
How is your le requin going?

Cant beat a dram of whisky to make everything look better! for a while!. Am loving doing the Alert so Requin on hold for bit as getting some great tips from all those posting their builds. How you and them find the time to construct and post is beyond me. It took me 20mins to type this :) let alone try and post a picture!. Yours looks perfect to me so far, have a shot or two for me!

Cant beat a dram of whisky to make everything look better! for a while!. Am loving doing the Alert so Requin on hold for bit as getting some great tips from all those posting their builds. How you and them find the time to construct and post is beyond me. It took me 20mins to type this :) let alone try and post a picture!. Yours looks perfect to me so far, have a shot or two for me!
Islay is my dram and I might have a wee bit more than a wee dram :)

So, I wanted to post a comprehensive log of building the stern section of Le Coureur. Looking at the drawings, the parts .pictures of other builds including CAF’s Tom I knew it was going to be tricky. Well, in short it was! I’ll spare you a build log as it was going from plan A to plan Z with tweaks in between. The only thing I can say is, take your time, think 5 steps ahead and don’t be afraid to start again. I kinda ended up building it half inside the jig and half outside. Nevertheless it’s done and next weekend I’ll be able to glue the frames in after a final work over.
In conclusion a very challenging part of the build but so much fun!!
15278C16-5400-449E-93F5-ECAEBFA188FF.jpeg598CA991-039D-480E-8341-D22319683CBF.jpeg

That's interesting, Chello, we have the same taste of whisky, I also prefer Islay Single Malts. Real peat lovers.
You are really making good progress and I like it alot.
I went to islay 2 years ago and told myself not to but any whisky. I’m afraid I didn’t stick to that, at all!! Still have my ardbeg supernova 2015 unopened

Back