Make your rope on a rope walk

Hello Stephan,

Not sure what your source thread budget is...but I was using Gutermann E151 (and E121) for my ropes. Finding that in the US was difficult so I had a Polish builder (Matt) purchase some and send it to me when he traveled once to the US. I bet you can find it in Europe. A forum sponsor (Ropes of Scale) also sells it now at a slight mark-up:

I did not experience this twisting issue.
Hi, sorry off topic question. I was just wondering why you are using E151 and E121 thread? I am looking into buying some thread for my ropemachine and I am not sure what to buy. I haven't tried the e151 or e121 thread yet.

Thanks Paul, I found a shop in England.
But the sending and import will be more then the product. :(

On Etsy it was cheaper but not the colours I need. Out of stock. Have to wait.

Question is there any stretch in a single yarn of yours? You can test that easy. Just pull on it. You feel the elasticity or not.
I didn't like thread for blind hemming (Gutermann Skala 360 and super-thin Serafil) - it is semi-transparent and elastic. The E121 and E151 are opaque and not elastic feeling. Maybe @BenD can comment. I think he uses this for his poly ropes and since I am out of the rope-making business if I need rigging in the future, I'll just order from him.

Hi, sorry off topic question. I was just wondering why you are using E151 and E121 thread? I am looking into buying some thread for my ropemachine and I am not sure what to buy. I haven't tried the e151 or e121 thread yet.
Short answer: I could make small ropes with it that had excellent definition. There are other choices as well, but this was the best source thread in my hands and for my hanging system.

I didn't like thread for blind hemming (Gutermann Skala 360 and super-thin Serafil) - it is semi-transparent and elastic. The E121 and E151 are opaque and not elastic feeling. Maybe @BenD can comment. I think he uses this for his poly ropes and since I am out of the rope-making business if I need rigging in the future, I'll just order from him.
oh you decided to not continue? Can't say I blame you, but I have invested a couple of dollars on a planetary gear machine and so I will have to get some value out of it. It seems to work great, and I am thinking that the E121 and E151 threads will make it work even better.

oh you decided to not continue? Can't say I blame you, but I have invested a couple of dollars on a planetary gear machine and so I will have to get some value out of it. It seems to work great, and I am thinking that the E121 and E151 threads will make it work even better.
Yup. After the first 100 meters of making rope 3 meters at a time the charm came off. I enjoyed learning the process and felt like I was able to make some pretty nice rope. You can make longer lengths of rope with a horizontal system and that might have kept me in the game.

At the end of the day I felt like spending my limited hobby time on things I enjoyed was the better choice.

Yup. After the first 100 meters of making rope 3 meters at a time the charm came off. I enjoyed learning the process and felt like I was able to make some pretty nice rope. You can make longer lengths of rope with a horizontal system and that might have kept me in the game.

At the end of the day I felt like spending my limited hobby time on things I enjoyed was the better choice.
makes sense. It is supposed to be fun after all.

You need to make sure that all the excess twist is out of the rope before using it. Also baking the polyester will reduce twisting like in that video. You can also add some counter twist if you need to while adding the ropes to the ship.

I like your ropewalk setup.
Hi, Ben. Can you post the temperatures and times that you use for "baking" polyester rope? I have been using 175F for 5 minutes. (79.4C).

The Gutermann E threads do have some elastic qualities. I've found it to be forgiving and easy to make rope with. It's not 2-3 plied like the other threads that most people use. It's the closest thing to rope-making yarns I have found, other than 1 ply linen.

Hi, Ben. Can you post the temperatures and times that you use for "baking" polyester rope? I have been using 175F for 5 minutes. (79.4C).
I bake at 300F. size 0.35mm is 1m45s and the largest 1.8mm is 6m30s. It's a trial and error kind of thing, You don't want stiff rope but don't want unraveling. The 0.25mm I don't bake as it really does not react well to the heat.

-

I've had comments about the ridiculous prices of the Gutermann E thread I have in stock. I have contacted my sales rep at A@E to see if I can get a discount as I buy hundreds of spools a year. I was given a 20% discount. A price reduction on my thread prices is coming soon. Even so, it is still expensive as an import product. If you live in Europe you should be able to find this thread at half the price I am charging.

I'm also looking into linen threads again. I have a few leads but I won't get to hopeful. I've been burned in the past with poor products. Someday I hope to have a full lineup of linen rope and threads available.

I've had comments about the ridiculous prices of the Gutermann E thread I have in stock.
Hmm. A spool that will last most model builders a lifetime and is otherwise unavailable in the US through normal means... I think under $20 is a rather fair offering, Ben. While I did not purchase my original stock from you, I made hundreds of dollars of finished scaled rope for about the cost of a Starbuck's specialty drink (and then sold on the remaining 3/4 spool to another ship builder).

I did not observe the E series threads to be that elastic. @Steef66 please note Ben's comment.

Back