![]() |
The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026! Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue. NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026 |
![]() |
![]() |
As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering. |
![]() |






When I pull on the sled, there’s already some resistance from its own weight. But 1 kilogram of pulling force??? I’ve never needed that much. The most I’ve ever needed was just 600 grams with a 2.5 mm rope.Mmmm I can't confirm this Steph, I have no problems doing 3x1 Skala 360 RH rope ... I would try much more weight! I have 1 kg to tow.
That’s what I thought too; I noticed it right away while spinning—the carriage can’t move backward, only forward. It just sat there, and the threads started to sag. It took a while before the carriage started moving.I thought Skala 360 was a monofilament? I would have guessed direction wouldn't matter - but of course I am no scholar here...


I use an extension cord with multiple outlets and an on/off switch. But you can also find those click-to-click systems at the hardware store that let you turn your home lighting on and off using a remote control.1. Where did you get a remote for the ropewalk, and how did you make it work with it?
The machine is designed and configured so that you must set both machines to position 1 to make RH rope or to position 2 for LH rope/cable.2. I'm sure I've read it either here, in the instructions for use or in a user's post on FB, but the answer is escaping me... in order to make RH-laid rope, you first need to run the four-hooks module LH until the threads reduce a certain % amount of the initial length. Once you have achieved that, the twisting is stopped. Then the one-hook module is started with an RH spin. As that spins, does the four-hook module also need to spin? And if it does, I suppose it's LH if my original assumption is correct.
There isn't an indicator, but it doesn't need to be that precise. Set both to the maximum position or turn the potentiometers to the same setting. The voltage, motors, and electronics are the same on both machines, so the power supply is also the same. Generally speaking, you’ll want the machine with one hook to run slightly faster, and because it runs freely—without gears—it will also be slightly faster when the potentiometers are set to the same position. It’s a matter of developing a feel for it.3. Provided that the above is all correct (and I'm not sure, or I wouldn't be asking ) how do you set the spin speed? There's no indicator on the ropewalk. And how do you get the two modules to spin at the same speed, assuming they do have to spin at the same speed?

In the discription/pdf I send you there is also a step by step explanation and that belongs to this video:Awesome, thanks for the detailed replies Stephan. It's nice for me to also be here. I've reached out to Phillip and he was super nice to get into a video call with me and provide some practical demonstration of how it all is supposed to work.

You're welcome. And it is also fun to make rope and see the outcome.Ok ok. After 7 years of wooden galleon constructing, this great info has convinced me to try and make my own rope. Until now I have been buying rope from various manufactures. The rope that typically comes with the kits are really poor quality. But Stephen you have kicked-started my motivation to undertake the task.
I think wooden galleon construction just got a lityle more complicated!!))))
Bill THANK YOU



i am able to untwist the Z twist from the mara 120 thread in my example and get it to retwist in the S direction. But I run the head at 50% of it's maximum speed. the strand holders spin a lot faster because of the gear ratios. It's really scary watching those things spin, Good thing there is a guard. I am having an issue with my center gear. It is rotating when the RPM's go above the 50% setting. I sent a message to the vendor to see if they have any ideas on how to or even if it is necessary to stop the shaft from turning. I feel like drilling a hole through the mount and shaft then putting a pin. That would stop the shaft from returning. But I want to talk to the vendor first even though they no longer sell the machine.FWIW, with traditional style ropewalks I have always un-twisted the thread as part of the process. It was pointed out to me at some point that making the rope involved twisting the strands the opposite of the twist in the threads. It seemed to come out best that way.
I made rope for years without consciously knowing about S and Z , and I still don't really care.



