Making the Ringbolts - an introduction to metalsmith works

For those in Australia, this website has silver solder paste in syringes (size not given) - very easy, easy, medium and hard. Cost is $18.35 plus $4.95 postage. The supplier appears to be local. I've not dealt with them, nor do I have any interest in them.

Another one https://www.gemcuts.com.au/euro-tools-silver-solder-paste. More expensive at $33.50, size is given as 7.75gms.

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
John, support has not given me an answer yet, I find it annoying that I can't enter country and city when I register delivery address.
Jim, what does your account look like with this provider, you registered, New York USA, when you registered.
Just wondering-

Jim, what does your account look like with this provider, you registered, New York USA, when you registered.
Just wondering-
Hello Knut, I bought 'as the guest' (didn't register). I dig a bit more pretending that I want to register, and found, that they don't ship internationally. Only to the countries below:

1583935661704.png

Jim, exactly the same as when I signed up.
I thought I had to be registered to book on this site, I will try to book as a guest as you did.
Thanks-

Jim, exactly the same as when I signed up.
I thought I had to be registered to book on this site, I will try to book as a guest as you did.
Thanks-
Hello Knut, I am afraid, this online store will not ship their goods to Norway, even if you will try to purchase as the guest. The attached counties list - is where they will ship to.

Jim, support has responded, and they say they will come back with a response later, well, I was at least heard, we'll see what happens.

Hi Jimsky, excellent tutorial, thanks a lot.

I think that in one way or the other we all use the same process with small variations.

I use iron (black iron) instead of steel, much easier to work with, harder than brass but at the same time soft enough to bend easily

DSC00106.JPG

This wire is by far the best I found to make bolts, but they only have it on .5mm 1mm e 1.2mm.

But I have a good supply of brass and iron wire that I collected along the time and is now brought to good use

Regards

JL

hello JL (@Dicas) Thank you for the nice comments. And yes, you are correct, we are technically doing the same way, but with different approach. I'd like to try this wire. Can you suggest online portal where you bought this iron wire?

On annealing steel and brass -

In the case of ferrous metals, such as steel, annealing is performed by heating the material (generally until glowing) for a while and then slowly letting it cool to room temperature in still air. Copper, silver and brass can be either cooled slowly in air, or quickly by quenching in water.[1] In this fashion, the metal is softened and prepared for further work such as shaping, stamping, or forming.

EJ

Back