Mantua 1/200 Hms Victory Build

Hi all after building many Airfix,Revel models this is my first wooden ship build the Mantuna 1.200 Hms Victory the manual must be one of the worst model build Manuals i have seen, i will no doubt may needing help as i go but i have seen i will needing help soon ( "What already" i hear you say ) according to the manual i need to use Acrylic spray paint Ochre ident no 1703 and Black ident no 1701 which i can not find anywhere do Mantuna use Tamiya paint they have black but not ochre (this is a yellow is it not ) or do you know any equivalent of these paints , as you can see in the attachment i think this is for the Deck but i presumed the Deck was Brown ?? also what is the black for, there is no way i could manage to spray the lines black i know it says OR but what do i paint what colour. Also in the attachment it says use the extra piece of plywood, clamped with tape to protect the beams, during the planking, they is no extra piece so do i make one to suit the size then take it off again (daft question) but just need to ask as like i say i am completely new to this and everyone has to start somewhere.

First Build.jpgManual 1.JPGManual 2.JPG

Hello.

Search google for "victory ship of the line" and you'll get photos of Victory there you can see where to use the black and the ochre paints.
For the deck I suppose they suply it in wood, so use it as it is.
The extra piece of plywood is a bad translation from the italian, they really say: use the ply piece supplied and glue it to the hatch using tape. As shown the piece is number 38.

Hope it helps

Don't go too fast, you are worried with things far away from the point where you are at present. cross the bridge when you'll get to it.

Regards

JL

Very nice progress, Bazzg! If you don't mind, as a suggestion so that the planks fit well to the frames 'fair' the bulkheads first, Use wood fillers in the bow and stern sections. Also, you can soak planks in the hot water and slightly bent. This is double-planking kit so you will have a chance to correct once it is completely dried.

Last edited:
Very nice progress, Bazzg! If you don't mind, as a suggestion so that the planks fit well to the frames 'fair' the bulkheads first, Use wood fillers in the bow and stern sections. Also, you can soak planks in the hot water and slightly bent. This is double-planking kit so you will have a to correct curves at a later time (once all dried)
Waiting for Wood Filler, i soaked planks in boiling water and used Iron to Help Bend them, did not realise it was double planked until told as the Templates act as the second planking.

You can’t change that,set by by the forum software,if I change that settings will change for everyone.

I think I know what you mean,they look bold because you did not check them out,click on those bold titles threads and next time will be not be bold unless somebody updated their build log with a new post.

I think this is how i add to my Build anyway i have finished the first planking,i think it's not bad for first attempt, now to sand but first it say's after sanding i need to coat with Allphatic Glue then sand again what is Allphatic Glue i have bought some Sand and Seal is this the same.

I think this is how i add to my Build anyway i have finished the first planking,i think it's not bad for first attempt, now to sand but first it say's after sanding i need to coat with Allphatic Glue then sand again what is Allphatic Glue i have bought some Sand and Seal is this the same.

Hey Brother,
This is the information I got from the web.
Aliphatic resin glue is what we commonly know as “yellow glue” or “carpenter's glue”. It is similar to PVA (white glue), but has been modified to make it stronger and more moisture resistant. Titebond Original is one of the most common aliphatic glues sold in the US.

It is different from sanding sealer which is used to seal the wood and once sanded will leave a smooth finish. If I had to guess, aliphatic resin glue is to be used as a bonding agent for the next layer of planks you will add.

Ray

Aliphatic glue is not used as sanding sealer. It is used to cement things, not coat them.

As Ray said, use a good sanding sealer for that effect.

Never heard of using aliphatic (or PVA) to coat. Who told you to do so?

JL

Aliphatic glue is not used as sanding sealer. It is used to cement things, not coat them.

JL
This what was in manual Hms victory Mantuna 1/200

Hey Brother,
This is the information I got from the web.
Aliphatic resin glue is what we commonly know as “yellow glue” or “carpenter's glue”. It is similar to PVA (white glue), but has been modified to make it stronger and more moisture resistant. Titebond Original is one of the most common aliphatic glues sold in the US.

It is different from sanding sealer which is used to seal the wood and once sanded will leave a smooth finish. If I had to guess, aliphatic resin glue is to be used as a bonding agent for the next layer of planks you will add.

Ray

JL
if you look at my first post of pics in phots diagrams no 25 it explains about it but is necessary or can i miss it out and just use sand and seal

Back