Mantua 1/200 Hms Victory Build

Bazzg,
I am unsure as to the directions but I believe that when you mix the glue with 30% water, it is used to fill in any gaps between planks and acts like a bonding agent for the putty to adhere to. Depending on the size of the gaps will help you determine which item to use. If you have gaps in your planking greater then 2mm I would use the watered down glue to help fill the gaps because this mixture will be thicker then regular sanding sealer. Once the glue has dried thoroughly, then you would apply minimum putty because you have basically filled in the majority of the gaps with the glue mixture. I hope this helps.

Ray

if you look at my first post of pics in phots diagrams no 25 it explains about it but is necessary or can i miss it out and just use sand and seal

I just saw what they say, I'd forget it, never heard of aliphatic being used that way. If you mixed the glue with some sawdust it would make sense. But not the way they say. Anyway it would do no harm to do so, that's your choice... As I said I'd fill the lerger gaps with some spare wood and the smallaer gaps with sanding sealer.

Ray, if I had gaps greater than 2mm I'd use some wood to fill it. Better than ani filler.

JL

I've read the italiasn and french instructions and there is a mistranslation. What they mean is to dilute the glue with water and then apply on the planking. This helps the planks to better glue to each other. The aim is to let the glue enter between the planks to "block between them the planks" (that's the translation).

Being so, it makes some sense although I'd forget it.

Regards

JL

Bazzg,
I am unsure as to the directions but I believe that when you mix the glue with 30% water, it is used to fill in any gaps between planks and acts like a bonding agent for the putty to adhere to. Depending on the size of the gaps will help you determine which item to use. If you have gaps in your planking greater then 2mm I would use the watered down glue to help fill the gaps because this mixture will be thicker then regular sanding sealer. Once the glue has dried thoroughly, then you would apply minimum putty because you have basically filled in the majority of the gaps with the glue mixture. I hope this helps.

Ray
Thanks no the biggest gaps are prob 1mm maybe less, which is why i thought if i just use sand and seal then the wood filler then sand again this would do let me know please

Hi
Like some one has said, why on earth would you use diluted glue over the top of your first planking (I take it it is the first planking).
Just fill your gaps with a good wood filler, sand down, wipe over with a damp cloth to remove the dust.
When you have finished your second planking, give it a sand down (be careful not to sand through the second planking) dust off wipe with damp cloth, apply 1 coat of sanding sealer, then a light sand and apply 2nd coat of sanding sealer then finish with 2-3 coats of varnish.

If you wish to use oil on the hull I dont think you need to put sanding sealer, I have never used oil for the hull so may be some one can help you with that one.

Denis.

Hi
Like some one has said, why on earth would you use diluted glue over the top of your first planking (I take it it is the first planking).
Just fill your gaps with a good wood filler, sand down, wipe over with a damp cloth to remove the dust.
When you have finished your second planking, give it a sand down (be careful not to sand through the second planking) dust off wipe with damp cloth, apply 1 coat of sanding sealer, then a light sand and apply 2nd coat of sanding sealer then finish with 2-3 coats of varnish.

If you wish to use oil on the hull I dont think you need to put sanding sealer, I have never used oil for the hull so may be some one can help you with that one.

Denis.
Many thanks was going ti do this as i could not see point as i say gaps are tiny anyway

Hi Bazzg
Sand as smooth as you can without thinning wood to much. Level and fill holes / dents with wood putty or wood filler ( Elmers Water based is best as dries hard and sands well. . It is more important to ty and get rid of bumbs & dips as they will be visible after 2nd layer Babys bottom smooth!. Fill sand/Fill Sand etc. Make . Sanding sealer is used to fill in the porous holes in wood before varnishing. As the lower hull is coppered and the top painted, this will be unnessary. You can use that or mat varnish on final un coated wood, but as nearly all the Victory is painted it will not be nessesary. For the layer below the coppering you can paint it with a primer.

Started on copper plating my god these are small 3mmx5mm is there an easy way to bend them round the curve a bit too small to heat in water or can i try a soldering iron on back also can anyone tell me what colour is best for stern and sides of cabin the ship sides are yellow ochre do i paint the same or paint plain Yellow as they are really small i can't do any detailing so it will be left as so

I have made a test post ,I have no issue posting images,something wrong on your end.

Finished Copper plating not as good as i wanted but were so small and extremely hard to work with,no way will i build a model this small again.Will carry on some of the parts for this are ridiculously small especially for the rigging some are a bit bigger than a pin head

20190208_114623.jpg

The simulation of copper plating is not easy, especially in this small scale !!!
I have to take my hat off, that you made this - I can understand you completely, that the next model is in bigger scale - I could not work in this small scale

Thanks for comments here are a few bits coming next when i get there Rudder Holder+Pin,Dummy Cannon,Eyelets bloody small

I am about to place the stern mast/pole in but unsure which one to use (please see phots) the one i think i need is the one near the ruler but this is 7mm thick and 190mm in length do i use this one and cut it but to what length as i do not have a lathe i will have to sand and shape it somehow any help would be appreciated

Back