marine steam engines and boilers

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor

go back and look at the bottom of the bed plate, notice those fins running along the long side of the plate. Those are there to add strength to the plate and to wedge the engine so it can not move sideways.

the plate (red) sits on large wooden beams (yellow) along the side and the water well (blue) sits between these beans

bed plate mounting.jpg

donfarr

Blandford Group Build

WOW DAVE, WELCOME BACK, FANTASTIC, WHAT A INOVATOR, IMPRESIVE that you went to different people for EXPERT ADVICE, KEEP IT GOING MY FRIEND and MENTOR. Don

donfarr

Blandford Group Build

WOW what a set up Dave, what are the finished dimensions of this. Don

Sponsor

I was rethinking the project my first idea was to build a plank on frame hull but then thought hum that will hide all the finer details of the engine and boiler.

then I thought just a cross section of the engine room but that leaves out a lot of the ship.

Right now the problem is I have a lot of parts to this engine and little knowledge how it goes together. SO! why not a diorama of the ship under construction with a crew of little people doing the work? the engines can be under construction with pieces and parts laying out.

well one thing lead to another and if it is to be a diorama in a shipyard how were these engine parts moved? just the frames were 22 tons each and the bed plate another 10 tons. These frames as you can see in the 3D model had to be stood up and bolted to the bed plate. Did shipyards in 1830 have cranes and a gantry system? or was all this done by hand with ropes and pullies?

it is engineering logic the keel, floors and floor timbers were set in place and the engine built on it rather than the hull built and the engine lifted up and into the hull. so the hull was built around the engines.

if this is a steam ship were there steam cranes?

monolithic structures go way back in time and moving huge stones was not a problem back then. Building a steam engine with parts weighting 22 tons seems easy it was done all the time but how?

Sponsor

I am searching for illustrations or drawings of cranes, derricks, shearleg systems and gantry that might of been used in a shipyard of 1840.

a crane would have to swing to the side and pick up a part then swing it over the hull to be placed. This requires a slewing platform. how were cranes built in 1840 is the question.