marine steam engines and boilers

THIS I WANT TO SEE BADLY,as you well know. Don

you and me both amen

There is a massive amount of CAD work to create this X section with the engine so I am getting help with the 3D work to move things along.

My problem is I am not a steam engineer so understanding the plans is quite the task and knowing what each part is and where it goes is difficult.

the plan is to create the parts and build a 3D model once I have the model then I can show it to others who might know. Steam is a huge hobby with members all over the world

the Henry Ford collection has a few steam engines so exactly what is a P block and what do they look like

the P stands for pillow so a P block is a cast casing with a brass inset for the end of a shaft to rest in. They look like 2 separate pieces the bottom and a cap which blots to the bottom. My guess is so the brass inserts can be replaced from time to time.

it might seem this is going a little overboard with the details but the devil is in the details right?

1p block.jpg2p block.jpg3p block.jpg4p block.jpg5p block.jpg6p block.jpg7p block.jpg8p block.jpg9p block.jpg10p block.jpg12p block.jpg13p block.jpg

still busy with CAD drawing this gothic steam engine for a cross section of the Mississippi

I finished the main frame and a part called the condenser. I have no idea how this goes together or how it works. This type of engine was used in Europe but not in north America so getting information is difficult. I do know it goes in the blue area and that's about it for now.

I think I might of bit off more than I can chew with doing a 3D model of the engine. I can draw it but it would be a struggle doing the 3D model and even harder trying to figure out how it goes together.

my thought is to do all the CAD drawings then do the pieces and parts as 3D models and try to fit it all together.

final frame.jpg

here is the main drawing of the condenser

condenser drawing 1.JPG

and here is a group of closeup images of the parts

condenser drawing 2.JPGcondenser drawing 3.JPGcondenser drawing 4.JPGcondenser drawing 5.JPGcondenser drawing 6.JPGcondenser drawing 7.JPG

one huge problem with this X section kit to include the steam engine is a WHAT IS IT? and where does it go?

here is the full plan titled safety valve
Feed Safety Valve full plan.jpg

breaking into higher res sections

Feed Safety Valve 2.jpg
Feed Safety Valve 3.jpg
Feed Safety Valve 4.jpg
Feed Safety Valve.jpg

they all operate the same

here is the cylinder all steam engines have one the shape will vary but they all operate the same. So lets look at cylinders

Attachments

• DETAIL_OF_STEAM_CYLINDER_-_Creque_Marine_Railway,_Charlotte_Amalie,_St__Thomas,_VI_HAER_VI,3-H...jpg
    DETAIL_OF_STEAM_CYLINDER_-_Creque_Marine_Railway,_Charlotte_Amalie,_St__Thomas,_VI_HAER_VI,3-H...jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN7733.jpg
    DSCN7733.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN7783.jpg
    DSCN7783.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN7801.jpg
    DSCN7801.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN7809.jpg
    DSCN7809.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN7818.jpg
    DSCN7818.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN7819.jpg
    DSCN7819.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN7843.jpg
    DSCN7843.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN7858.jpg
    DSCN7858.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN7897.jpg
    DSCN7897.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN7898.jpg
    DSCN7898.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 3
  • East_Pool_Mine_Taylor's_Shaft_main_steam_cylinder.jpg
    East_Pool_Mine_Taylor's_Shaft_main_steam_cylinder.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Kolben_Zylinder_Dampfmaschine.jpg
    Kolben_Zylinder_Dampfmaschine.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 4
next step in the cylinder for this engine is to look at the original drawings

Attachments

• Sht 7.jpg
    Sht 7.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Sht 7a.jpg
    Sht 7a.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Sht 7b.jpg
    Sht 7b.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Sht 7c.jpg
    Sht 7c.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Sht 7d.jpg
    Sht 7d.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Sht 7e.jpg
    Sht 7e.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Sht 7f.jpg
    Sht 7f.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Sht 7g.jpg
    Sht 7g.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Sht 7h.jpg
    Sht 7h.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 6
the original drawings are dated 1839 and are distorted and ripped so by taking the measurements from the originals they are redrawn in CAD

Attachments

• re drawing1.JPG
    re drawing1.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 2
  • re drawing2.JPG
    re drawing2.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 2
  • cylinder assembled.JPG
    cylinder assembled.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
a steam cylinder is the same as a cylinder in a gas car engine except it is steam that pushes the piston up and down

for a X section of the Mississippi engine room all the interior parts are not needed because it is just a dummy model. BUT for model engineers then all the parts need to be drawn and the engine built to operate under compresses air.

Attachments

• 800px-Porter-Allen_cylinder_and_valves,_sectioned_(New_Catechism_of_the_Steam_Engine,_1904).jpg
    800px-Porter-Allen_cylinder_and_valves,_sectioned_(New_Catechism_of_the_Steam_Engine,_1904).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
  • Stationary_steam_engines,_simple_and_compound;_especially_as_adapted_to_electric_lighting_purp...jpg
    Stationary_steam_engines,_simple_and_compound;_especially_as_adapted_to_electric_lighting_purp...jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 6
and now for a sneak peek at the 3D modeling of the frame of the steam engine.

I think the future of ship modeling is to have 3D instructions with all the 3D parts, where they go in the model and how everything fits together. also a 3D model the builder can look at from any angle.

frame3d1.JPGframe3d2.JPGframe3d3.JPGframe3d4.JPGframe3d5.JPG

my old lap top gave up the ghost and it now dead so I had to replace it I noticed now windows has a 3D view program which is great because any model builder can view a STL file and look at a model from any point of view. This is a giant step in modeling.

As you know Dave I have been a proponet forquite some time YES THIS IS THE FUTRE OF SHIP MODEL BUILDING WILL BRING IN MANY NEW MEMBERS YOUGER ONES THAT KNOW HOW TO USE THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY, go for it Dave, we have had this discussion for over a year now. Don

here is a look at a 3D model of a gothic style steam engine

these were done with a program called fusion 360 there is a free trial download and free use to hobby users. I have been working with the program for the last couple weeks just to try it out. This is NOT my work but an example of what 3D modeling and 3d printing can add to our hobby.

Gothic 3 D Print 1.jpgGothic 3 D Print 2.jpgGothic 3 D Print 3.jpgGothic 3 D Print 4.jpgGothic 3 D Print 5.jpgGothic 3 D Print 6.jpgGothic 3 D Print 7.jpgGothic 3 D Print 8.jpgGothic 3 D Print 9.jpgGothic 3 D Print 10.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 1.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 2.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 3.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 4.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 5.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 6.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 7.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 8.jpgGothic Fusion 360 Render 9.jpg

up date on more details added to the engine frame this is where we were

frame3d1.JPG

and this is where we are with more details, the engine parts will be refined with more and more details and in time the final assembly

frame detail.JPGframe detail2.JPGframe detail3.JPGframe detail4.JPGframe detail5.JPG

when the engine has been modeled then it will be time to move on and build a cross section of the hull first as a 3D model then as a build.

when the prototype is finished then it will become an available builders project for anyone wanting to give it a go.

Back