Marmara Trade Boat, 1:48 , SC brand [COMPLETED BUILD]

What do you think about adding the decks before taking it out of the building jig and hence before planking it ?
It really just depends on the design of the jig and the model. Very "generally" speaking, I would say keep it in the jig as long as you can until construction requires it to be removed. It is safer in the jig than out...

It really just depends on the design of the jig and the model. Very "generally" speaking, I would say keep it in the jig as long as you can until construction requires it to be removed. It is safer in the jig than out...

Thank you for your expert opinion.

I went to my shop and I checked how the main deck (or bigger deck) fit. And HURRAY I was able to fit it in place. BUT !!! It is not glued and I will not try at all to take it out now. Because it needed a little push to fit. The wood is very thin.

So... the glue loopers will be used. From the side I will add a small CA drop at the contact parts and .... done. Good timing to order those loopers.

Instructions call to do the deck planking with the deck installed due to the ribs.

So far I am very happy with the learning process and this kit. But my Gosh, all is so thin and fragile.... :)

20200804_193040.jpg20200804_193150.jpg

Thanks for all your and others members help and encouragement !!
Daniel

Last edited:
I was not able to sleep well so i woke up earlier and did some work.

Ribs finished, beveled and glued to the keel. Decks placed but not glued yet. I want to be sure I am not missing some step before gluing the decks.

20200805_131055.jpg20200805_131253.jpg20200805_131331.jpg

I broke one rib. The 2 sides when trying to place it in the building jig. You have to file a little the upper position ribs holes (ones at the top) to allow the ribs to have space to drop inside without pushing them. The 2 side of the broken ribs where glued inside the jig. The jig allowed to have them in perfect place. They are perfect. I can't see the glued place at the rib :)

Cheers
Daniel

Looking good Daniel. I have one question and one tip.

1. What kind of glue did you use to assemble the jig?
2. When you glue the decks down make sure they are flush to the surface of the keel fore and aft.

Yes... I learned that from your thread and others. All ribs flash to the keel.

Glue: Gorila wood glue (dry natural color-transparent-) give time to do adjustments. Nevertheless it glue pretty fast ~ 15 minutes. But after a few hours the adhesion is very strong.

Here is a picture I forgot to upload yesterday night to show ribs are flat to keel

20200804_165331.jpg

Thank Mike !!
Daniel

Well, it is a fragile model and you are going to need to saw or cut the jig to release it. If you had used Weldbond to glue the jig together, you could have just soaked the glue joints with rubbing alcohol and the jig would pry right apart. No cutting required..... You can still get the job done, you just made it a bit more difficult for yourself...

IMG_0306.jpg

Remember.... for model building we don't need glue strong enough to hold a gorilla or wood framing for a house....

You are the best .... not only you teach all the members.... you make me laugh with your comments..... :) LOL.

I will order the glue you suggested. Nevertheless, I though all the time to just cut the jig columns with the dremel. That was always in my mind independently of what I use to glue the building jig. Just slowly and smooth. The jig wood is very thin. Structurally is strong, but the wood is very thin.

We will see. And as always thank you for the glue tip !!!

Cheers !!!!
Daniel

WELCOME ALL TO MY HOUSE HAVE COFFEE AND DOUGHNUTS READY(NOT ALLOWED THE Ds FOOD POLICE WILL ARREST ME0 BTW IT CAME IN WILL BE USING IT TOMORROW, THANKS AS ALWAYS. AND I WILL GIVE YOU A TIP AS I AM AN EXPERT AT TAKING ITEMS APART BOT CA AND PVA, SOMETIMES GLUED FOR A LONG TIME, WHAT I DO AND IT HAS BEEN SUCESSFUL MANY TIMES WITHOUT DAMAGING THE WOOD, I USE NAIL POSISH REMOVER (IT MUST REPEAT MUST BE 100% ACATON, TAKE A COTTON SWAB AND PUT IT ON THE JOINT PRY IT VERY CAREFULY YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THIS QUITE A FEW TIMES THEN PRY IT LOOSE EACH TIME WITH XZATO NO.11 BLADE AFTER A WHILE IT WILL COME LOOSE WITH NO DAMAGE AT ALL TO THE WOOD JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I AM ONLY ALLOWED DE-CAF UGH, UGH, FOOD POLICE ALL OVER. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

When I returned to the hobby ~ 2 months ago. My hands where shaking too much. Stopped caffeine and went 100% decaf. I was drinking much more than 4 cups/day. It was worst... so now I am doing Half/half to tapper the caffeine levels slowly.

Also is an aging process not related with caffeine. That hand shaking bothers me a lot, psychologically. I did embryology research for almost all my life since my PhD. I was able to manipulate embryos in a petri dish under a steromicrocope with 0 shaking for hours. But I left the research bench 12 years ago, moved to Corporate Pharma....and will be 63 YO soon.

Back