Matthew 1497 1:48 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

This will be the build log for John Cabot’s ship the Matthew. It was a small ship without a lot of carvings and gingerbread and there is a lot of information about the ship on this site and Model Ship Builder. The model will be plank on frame, and since the is no original drawing there is opportunities for reasonable customization with a personal touch.

A brief history from Wikipedia.

The Matthew is a replica of a caravel[1] sailed by John Cabot in 1497 from Bristol to North America, presumably Newfoundland. After a voyage which had got no further than Iceland, Cabot left again with only one vessel, the Matthew, a small ship (50 tons), but fast and able. The crew consisted of only 18 men. The Matthew departed either 2 May or 20 May 1497. He sailed to Dursey Head (latitude 51°36N), Ireland, from where he sailed due west, expecting to reach Asia. However, landfall was reached in North America on 24 June 1497. His precise landing place is a matter of much controversy, with Cape Bonavista or St. John's in Newfoundland the most likely sites.

General characteristics
Type:replica caravel
Displacement:85
Tons burthen:50
Length:Length overall: 78 ft (24 m)
Beam:20 ft 6 in (6.25 m)
Height:72.5 ft 6 in (22.25 m)
Draught:7 ft 6 in (2.29 m)
Decks:2
Installed power:200hp Caterpillar 3116
Propulsion:sail, engine
Sail plan:caravel

All the framing and keel is made from European beechwood. The model will be about 20 inches long a good size for me to work on.

This is a few photos of the keel assembly and drawing used for it.IMG_3737.jpgIMG_3679.jpgIMG_3681 (1).jpgIMG_3681 (3).jpgIMG_3685.jpg

This will be the build log for John Cabot’s ship the Matthew. It was a small ship without a lot of carvings and gingerbread and there is a lot of information about the ship on this site and Model Ship Builder. The model will be plank on frame, and since the is no original drawing there is opportunities for reasonable customization with a personal touch.

A brief history from Wikipedia.

The Matthew is a replica of a caravel[1] sailed by John Cabot in 1497 from Bristol to North America, presumably Newfoundland. After a voyage which had got no further than Iceland, Cabot left again with only one vessel, the Matthew, a small ship (50 tons), but fast and able. The crew consisted of only 18 men. The Matthew departed either 2 May or 20 May 1497. He sailed to Dursey Head (latitude 51°36N), Ireland, from where he sailed due west, expecting to reach Asia. However, landfall was reached in North America on 24 June 1497. His precise landing place is a matter of much controversy, with Cape Bonavista or St. John's in Newfoundland the most likely sites.

General characteristics
Type:replica caravel
Displacement:85
Tons burthen:50
Length:Length overall: 78 ft (24 m)
Beam:20 ft 6 in (6.25 m)
Height:72.5 ft 6 in (22.25 m)
Draught:7 ft 6 in (2.29 m)
Decks:2
Installed power:200hp Caterpillar 3116
Propulsion:sail, engine
Sail plan:caravel

All the framing and keel is made from European beechwood. The model will be about 20 inches long a good size for me to work on.

This is a few photos of the keel assembly and drawing used for it.View attachment 288230View attachment 288232View attachment 288233View attachment 288234View attachment 288235
Hi Mike41, I ask, is it from Kit or project? Thank you

Hi Dave, your 3D frames look great! I am going to use modified version of the frames. I built two models using the old-style frames and want to try something different on this model.

Hi Maarten, Ramonolivenza built the Galeon Del Azogue using this type of framing and it looks great, I just do not have the skills required for that type of framing.

Regards, Mike

i also do not have the drafting or building skills to try the shell first method.

Hi Dave, your 3D frames look great! I am going to use modified version of the frames. I built two models using the old-style frames and want to try something different on this model.

great to see you trying something different

Daves shared some of his research and photos to help with the frame design, thanks Dave. He noted the scarf joints at the floor timber and futtocks were attached with a copper spike at one end and a wooden peg at the other. I am going to upgrade the fasteners to two pegs and spikes at each joint. This reduces the frame pieces to five with only four joints to make. This style is consistent with ships of the time. They will be easier to build than the ones on the Blandford and save a lot of effort.

This is a few photos of that Dave sent and a drawing of the midship frame. Now I need to make one.1.pngfloor 1.jpgfloor 6.jpgLfloor 7.jpg

YOU BET STEPHAN, A DIFFERENT SUBJECT IN A DIFFERENT BUILD POF NEED THIS VERY, VERY BADLY, I MUST PRACTICE PATIENCE NOT ONE OF MY VIRTUES. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

i agree Don this is going to be a little different than the normal POF project

Mike and i have been kicking around a few ideas it is one thing to just design a plank on frame project and another thing to make it workable for the hobby builder.

Daves ha condiviso alcune delle sue ricerche e foto per aiutare con il design del telaio, grazie Dave. Notò che le giunture della sciarpa sul legno del pavimento e le scarpette erano fissate con una punta di rame a un'estremità e un piolo di legno all'altra. Ho intenzione di aggiornare gli elementi di fissaggio a due pioli e punte su ciascun giunto. Ciò riduce i pezzi del telaio a cinque con solo quattro giunti da realizzare. Questo stile è coerente con le navi dell'epoca. Saranno più facili da costruire rispetto a quelli sul Blandford e risparmieranno un sacco di fatica.

Queste sono alcune foto inviate da Dave e un disegno del telaio a metà nave. Ora devo crearne uno.View attachment 289055View attachment 289056View attachment 289057View attachment 289058
1644262531744.png
Buonasera spero di accontentare1644263318482.png

Last edited:
Back