Matthew 1497 1:48 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks Jim, we had a lot of fun deciding which type of frames to use for this model. I think the final decision is working well, she is very sturdy lol.

Dear Mike
You are doing Really very nice work, your ship looks great! Thumbsup :)

Thanks Shota, I will be installing the rudder today.

Rudder / Whipstaff

The rudder installation is straightforward the gudgeons and pintles are attached to the rudder and sternpost. I used little nails to attach the rudder to the stempost and glued the tiller in place. The whipstaff is slipped onto the tiller and will be supported when the stern castle framing is in place. I will be working on the castle deck framing next.

Progress photos.IMG_4278.jpgIMG_4279.jpgIMG_4280.jpgIMG_4281.jpgIMG_4282.jpg

Aft Castle Framing

I started the aft castle framing with the pair of beams that straddle the mizzen mast and added the mast partners, I should have told Dave the partner joints were to be etched my bad, he did use a single block with a hole in the center on the second try. After the mast partners were in place, I egged the hole and checked the rake with the mizzen mast. The tiller was attached to the rudder I made a couple of small wooden washers from a ¼” dowel rod with the tiller in place the first
stop washer was glued to the tiller with the whipstaff butted next to it (no glue on the whipstaff). A small amount of glue was added to the second washer sliding the washer along the tiller next to the whipstaff make sure there is not any glue on the whipstaff. When dry the washers will hold the whipstaff in place and it will move side to side.

I will not be quite as detailed with each deck beam lol.

The framing drawing shows spacers as boxes with x in the center, they are very helpful installing the beams. The photos show the progress and finish beam installation.

The fore castle deck beams will be next.

sIMG_4286.jpgIMG_4287.jpgIMG_4288.jpgIMG_4289.jpgIMG_4290.jpgIMG_4291.jpgIMG_4292.jpgIMG_4293.jpg

Forecastle deck beams

I started the deck beams the same as the ones in the stern, when the mast partners was in place, I turned the bowsprit and made the step for it. When I tried the placement of the bowsprit it looked like there was not enough rake, so I increased the angle to 30 degrees. The photos show how I made the sprit step and sprit.

IMG_4296.jpgIMG_4298_Moment.jpgIMG_4299.jpgIMG_4300.jpgIMG_4301.jpgIMG_4302.jpgIMG_4303.jpgIMG_4304.jpgIMG_4305.jpgIMG_4306.jpgIMG_4307.jpgIMG_4308.jpgIMG_4309.jpgIMG_4314.jpgIMG_4315.jpgIMG_4316.jpgIMG_4317 (2).jpg

Bowsprit final location

After the step was installed on the main deck it moved the bowsprit to this location. There is quite a bit of stuff still to go on the upper deck.

IMG_4318.jpg

Wales

The wales stop at the waterline to show the ship frames. The wales are single planks running the full length of the ship. The futtock riders are notched to accommodate the wales.

The photos show the installation of the futtock riders using a square to ensure they are vertical. The starboard side is ready for the finish sanding, the port side will be next.

IMG_4323_Moment.jpgIMG_4324.jpgIMG_4327.jpgIMG_4328.jpgIMG_4329.jpgIMG_4330.jpgIMG_4331.jpgIMG_4332.jpgIMG_4333.jpgIMG_4334.jpgIMG_4335.jpgIMG_4336.jpgIMG_4337.jpgIMG_4338.jpg

The futtock riders stand out nicely against the other wood species. I think Cabot would be pleased with her progress .

Thanks, MavRic, the futtock riders are black walnut, and the planking is yellowheart, I will be posting the port side later.

Back