Matthew 1497 1:48 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Frank, that is a fine-looking frame, but we are looking at single frame construction for this project.

Daves shared some of his research and photos to help with the frame design, thanks Dave. He noted the scarf joints at the floor timber and futtocks were attached with a copper spike at one end and a wooden peg at the other. I am going to upgrade the fasteners to two pegs and spikes at each joint. This reduces the frame pieces to five with only four joints to make. This style is consistent with ships of the time. They will be easier to build than the ones on the Blandford and save a lot of effort.

This is a few photos of that Dave sent and a drawing of the midship frame. Now I need to make one.View attachment 289055View attachment 289056View attachment 289057View attachment 289058
Very interesting project.
Just wondering how long these joints were - appr. 1/3 of the total length -> so the futtock has 1/3 joint + 1/3 real futtock + 1/3 joint

1.png

Hi Uwe, When Dave sent me the photos, he included a partial copy of a specification sheet that gave the length of the scarf 1st and 2nd futtocks at 3’-6”. This is a photo of the spec. sheet.
specs.jpg

After the frame style was settled, I started building the frames. All the frames are single using lap joint construction. I transferred the part patterns to 1/8” thick European beechwood, used a bandsaw to cutout the parts and sanded them to the final shape.
I arranged the parts as shown in the first photo, with every other part face down so the patterns are still attached. This will help with beveling frames.
IMG_3765.JPGIMG_3762.JPGIMG_3763.JPGIMG_3767 copy.jpgIMG_3768 copy.jpgIMG_E3759.JPGThis is the progress photos.

Hi Mike,

nice reconsturction. In my opinion the scarphs on the fotos of Dave are to long copmpard with the fotos of the historical parts. They ahouldn't be longer than 3x the thikness of the part. I like the theortical frameing which you can see by much of the later Navy Board models.

You are a very fast modeler - prepared already all frames
Very good progress.
I am looking for the marriage of the frames with the keel ....

That is a lot of small pieces to cut, sand and glue together to get that many full frames done.

It looks great so far and I will have to wait on your progress report.
Hi Kurt, you are correct there is a lot of small pieces in the frames and the keel assembly, I am working with Daves to include laser cut parts for the frames and keel in a timbering set for the model. This will reduce the time and effort required a lot.

Thanks Christian, it is interesting see the development of framing over the centuries, I prefer later framing methods used on Navy Board models, but the Matthew was long before their time.

Thanks Uwe, the frames still need to be beveled cleaned up before being installed. It took many hours to get to this point in the build, so I may be a half fast modeler lol.

WHY NOT A JIG IN THE TIMBERING KIT, JUST A THOUGHT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

working with Mike on this project the best way to go about building the hull is the way Mike is doing it with a gantry a jig would complicate the build and make it more difficult because of the type of framing being used.
Jigs work fine for sistered framing with a space between frames this hull is totally different.

both Mike and i are still working out design issues

this is a small prototype section i built without a jig

DSCN0463.JPGDSCN0464.JPG

Back