Model Airways Sopwith Camel

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

I just ordered this kit. I am not sure when I will start on it, but just a heads up.

IMPORTANT SUGGESTION:
It might be worth your while to take inventory of all the parts. I had some missing. Mostly metal. However, M.E. replaced them with no problem.

Last edited:
Well, now is the time to start the Sopwith. Yesterday (11-23-2023) at 8:00 PM CST to be exact.

The Engine is supposed to be built first - - - but wait - - dang - - missing parts to the engine. :(

They are the front and back crankcase covers. Supposed to be in bag #1. Now, I did find what I THOUGHT was the rear cover in another bag, but I am nearly uncertain if it is or not. So, I requested the two-part CLE06 (front and back) from M. Ex online.
I wish I had requested the entire contents of bag #1 - but honestly, I did not.

Oh well, I'm not off to a good start already - hopefully, I can set a new date for the log.

Well, now is the time to start the Sopwith. Yesterday (11-23-2023) at 8:00 PM CST to be exact.

The Engine is supposed to be built first - - - but wait - - dang - - missing parts to the engine. :(

They are the front and back crankcase covers. Supposed to be in bag #1. Now, I did find what I THOUGHT was the rear cover in another bag, but I am nearly uncertain if it is or not. So, I requested the two-part CLE06 (front and back) from M. Ex online.
I wish I had requested the entire contents of bag #1 - but honestly, I did not.

Oh well, I'm not off to a good start already - hopefully, I can set a new date for the log.
Hi Donnie,
Sorry to hear about your missing parts. Hopefully you can get replacements in a timely manner.
The good news is the motor is built first, but goes on last! So it will not prevent you from moving to the next step of building the upper and lower wings. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, so I realize that naturally, I have a lot of prepping I need to do on the Britannia Metal. It has been a long time since I delt with that. I didn't realize just how soft this stuff is.
(It is best that I go forward while waiting for the parts to come in - besides - they are not needed anyway at the moment).

The latest:
Since I have the lathe - I might as well use it to help hold parts while working on them.
Not happy with the pics. I could not get my phone to send images to my email which would be a lot more better file size. After an iPhone update, it did some strange things.

1) Using a triangle-type file to make the groves more noticeable and stand out better. I will use a Black wash on the fins.
engine03.jpg

2) using the lathe again to dress parts and to paint (easy to paint when the RPM is set very low). This is one of the reasons I like Sherline is that you can control the RPM from 0 and up. This is one of the Spark Plugs
engine04.jpg

3) not a good picture - too blurred, but these cylinders look better in hand.
engine02.jpg

4) This shows before and after cleaning up the flash.
engine01.jpg

Donnie, I started out using a file myself. But I soon found out if the Britannia metal gets too hot it just smears. In the end I found using an xacto blade was also a good way to remove flash quickly and easily. The blade is harder and cuts thru the metal easily. And of course sandpaper files work as well. ;)

The color scheme was taken from an image from a museum and following it. I am almost tempted to just paint the cylinders completely black instead of trying to make the 'fins' stand out. It would have taken a lot more work, but it is possible that I could have turned my own on my lathe. But, I don't have that much motivation at the moment.

engine05.jpgengine06.jpg

Last edited:
I just watched a video of someone making an elliptical cutting jig outfit that attaches to the lathe headstock and it is quite complicated with many parts. So, unless something like that can be purchased, I don't see myself making one anytime soon or even in the future.

The reason is that the cylinders seem to be slightly elliptical and even the head covers. However, it is possible to just make round cylinders out of rod stock and cut the fins myself. But, the engine will be completed soon.

Well, as they say - if it doesn't look right - cover it with paint. Well, I was planning to do the cylinders flat black anyway as I am trying to duplicate a Clerget in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. So far, I am happy with my decisions. Next will be the push rods from 1/32 brass rods and the push rod seats at the crankcase.

Engine11.jpg

engine08.jpgengine09.jpg

So, here are the Spark Plug wires. The box came with some skinny Nylon line - maybe around .1mm (guessing). So, I cut a length of about 80mm or 3 inches.
The line is folded in half and fed through the hole - the other end will have the LOOP which will go around the plug tip
At that time, when the line has passed through the hole, I use hemostats to 'twist' the line which then of course makes the plug wires thicker (which they need to be). Running a single thread is just way too thin. Besides it looks better with the LOOP around the plug end. The excess is cut off after a tad of CA dries. As you might have noticed, one of the smaller gear teeth is missing - can't do anything about that. It just didn't form well.

engine14.jpg

engine13.jpg

So, that 4 stroke you have looks impressive, and what size is it. the cowling looks good too.

Right - and now the RC industry has working model radial engines and have back a long time ago. I used to fly RC and I would have loved to have been able to get one on a 1/4 scale plane - but back then - way too expensive and still is.

Look at this OS Engine FR7-420 Sirius 7 at nearly $4000. Is this crazy or what.

1702314132929.png

I would love to have one of those radials for my planes, but way out of my price range. That OS engine would run around 5 to $6000 here in Canada. That will buy a lot of lumber, tools, and fittings for ship building, so that's where I will stay;). The four stroke Saito on my Stearman is a 91 which really pulls. She needs to as those older kits were really heavy.
Jim

Donnie is this engine covered by a cowl when installed?

If so that makes it harder to see the slight imperfections that you know are there, but most others won't notice without being told about them.

Your work is great at this scale and these slight imperfections won't be noticed.

I agree about the RC Radial. I assume that you probably have seen on youtube some huge airliners, etc and jets costing into the thousands.

I plan to leave the engine exposed for now. I think that Dean made or had made a cowl I guess from a 3D printer.

Back