Model Shipways #3 Muscongus Bay lobster smack!

Thanks for posting your detailed build log. This will be my next build so I will continue to follow your lead with great interest.
...henry

Thanks for posting your detailed build log. This will be my next build so I will continue to follow your lead with great interest.
...henry
Thank you! Please don’t hesitate to ask questions even before each step as this boat is different from the previous 2 in the series and different approaches to building are required for some steps!
Happy building

It’s looking good. I’m waiting to get a missing sheet that has the center spine materials. In the meantime I’ve made the mast and booms. I decided to make the mast from a dowel rather than the using the pieces the kit came with. I also stained the booms with Minwax Ipswich. They look great.

It’s looking good. I’m waiting to get a missing sheet that has the center spine materials. In the meantime I’ve made the mast and booms. I decided to make the mast from a dowel rather than the using the pieces the kit came with. I also stained the booms with Minwax Ipswich. They look great.
Thank you! Have you started a build log for others to view and comment on!

Being relatively new to this hobby, why did you choose to use an automotive paint sealer vs. say an acrylic paint sealer? is it for a smoother surface for the final top coat?
Thanks
...henry

Being relatively new to this hobby, why did you choose to use an automotive paint sealer vs. say an acrylic paint sealer? is it for a smoother surface for the final top coat?
Thanks
...henry
Yes actually, your are correct I wanted a smoother finish. I first primed with the Model Shipways acrylic primer after filling in divets , then trying to sand the acrylic smooth I found it was rolling instead of sanding smooth I then sprayed automotive primer and got the smooth finish I was looking for! Remember build to please you ! Right now I’m shaping the mast !

Third time is a charm! after first try to shape the mast as per kit instructions by first gluing the 2 mast halves together, then shaping and sanding! I wasn’t too pleased with how it turned out. I then used the kit supplied dowel, the darker wood out of the three, I had tried turning it using an electric drill it was coming out better but sanded too much and was too thin especially going into the deck . I then used some dowel stock I had of matching color wood and using my pencil and digital caliper I sanded slowly and kept checking the width of the mast and taper up to the top and finally sanded to a perfect match to the plans then installed the hardware and eyelets to the mast ! I’m a happy camper now! Another step in the learning process ! The mast on the left is the good one!

407AD010-C3F5-4763-A5C5-3FBF29610A5B.jpeg

4995EF4C-04A2-4142-ADD4-6E1D74388E54.jpeg

273EB1AB-FADF-49DE-8549-62B88E2DBA7B.jpeg

Nice job on the mast! Magic Mike
Thanks it was a bit of a learning curve while sanding and shaping it! I wanted to try and do it as per instructions by gluing the two lazer cut pieces and shaving it round, but I went to thin at the base! Then I did it again with a kit supplied Dowel, better but still too thin! Using from my own stock, this time I used a digital caliber an slowly turning and sanding it chucked it my electric drill, constantly checking the areas I need to shave down! Every bump in the road is another opportunity to learn!

I glued in the tiller arm !
IMG_4053.jpeg
I then glue on the trail boards on the beak after painting them semi-gloss black from Tamiya!
IMG_4054.jpeg

I cut out very closely the scrolling for the trail board and with white glue I glued It on and used a black sharpie to blacken the white edges, it will get a clear finish to blend it in.
IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg
I then glued on the Bowsprit!
IMG_4070.jpeg
I then made and installed the chain plates for the backstays!

IMG_4075.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

I then made the mast hoops! And soldered them !IMG_4078.jpeg

IMG_4077.jpeg

IMG_4056.jpeg

IMG_4071.jpeg

Last edited:
Resized and finished the blocks, then installed them on to the mast, boom and Gaff! Much easier in the vise than on the model for now!

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4174.jpeg

IMG_4175.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

Tonight I installed the STAYS, the Bob stay, Fore stay, and the Back stays and made lashings to the turnbuckles!
I’m wondering exactly what color should I use on the turnbuckles that would closely resemble the real ones?
Input on this appreciated! please!

IMG_4215.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg

IMG_4216.jpeg

Back