Model Shipways Armed Longboat [COMPLETED BUILD]

About halfway done with planking. Most of the planks are 1/4" wide because of the scale so the twist required at the stern is severe. The other challenge is that the hull planks will be visable both on the outside AND the inside. Tight planking is essential.

20200317_164521.jpg20200320_164355.jpg20200321_185355.jpg20200322_170737.jpg

I must admit that hull planking is one of my least favorite things to do. I'd rather ratline.

HI TKAM,, just received my kit of the same one you have am impressed came in yesterday opened it today (JUST GOT IN UNDER THE DEADLINE WHERE MODEL-EXPO CLOSED BY GOVERNMENT) i checked everything and it seems all there will start labeling soon, i have one PROBLEM I LOST THE BILL OF MATERIALS ONE MINUTE IT WAS IN MY HANDS THE NEXT IT WAS GONE INTO THE ETER HAVE SEARCHED MY LITTLE APARTMENT TO NO AVAIL COULD I TROUBLE YOU FOR A PDF OF THE BILL OF MATERIALS ANY COST JUST LET ME KNOW, THANK YOU Don

Just a note to anyone working on this kit. The planking calls for 1/16 x 1/4 strips that are a foot long (that's what fits in the box).

1) there are not enough of these strips included in the kit to finish the planking. I'm lucky I have some two foot long strips leftover from Syren so I don't have to order more.

2) the first strip along the wales should be long enough to extend from stem to stern, the practicum calls for you to use the 12" strips, create a butt joint at bulkhead zero and continue aft to the transom.

The problem is there is a pronounced dip at the middle (bulkhead zero) it's almost impossible to have a nice graceful curve if you split that curve between two strips. If I had to do it over I'd use a longer strip for that first plank and simulate the butt joint.

Cheers!

GOOD TIP TKAM will keep that in mind as I DO NOT LIKE THE BASSWOOD, I WILL BE USING SAME DIMENSION MATERIAL ONLY IN BEECH WITH A MIN-WAX TUNG OIL FINSH AN A COAT OF WIPE ON POLY i have a lot left over from a prvious build looking forward to your log. Don

GOOD TIP TKAM will keep that in mind as I DO NOT LIKE THE BASSWOOD, I WILL BE USING SAME DIMENSION MATERIAL ONLY IN BEECH WITH A MIN-WAX TUNG OIL FINSH AN A COAT OF WIPE ON POLY i have a lot left over from a prvious build looking forward to your log. Don

That's gonna look sweet!

LOOKING QUITE WELL, i have a question how did yo do the planking i mean calculate the number of planks to the run, i have always had a problem with that i am going to mill and cut extra wide strips so i can spile the planks i have had better sucess with that even tough i take more material i have had better results doing it that way but anxious to see another way to do it also i have had problems doing the garboard strake how did you do that. THANKS Don

LOOKING QUITE WELL, i have a question how did yo do the planking i mean calculate the number of planks to the run, i have always had a problem with that i am going to mill and cut extra wide strips so i can spile the planks i have had better sucess with that even tough i take more material i have had better results doing it that way but anxious to see another way to do it also i have had problems doing the garboard strake how did you do that. THANKS Don

My planking can be best summed with the words, and the technique: "Willy Nilly". Honestly, I don't have much of a technique. I start laying planks and when it gets gummed up and messy I lay drop planks and trim strips as needed. So far all my builds have had a copper bottom or a second layer of hardwood and in both cases what ends up as the final product looks just fine. I am in no sense of the word an expert for single planking and voila!

The garboard is fairly simple however. Lay your planking strip down along the keel where it will be glued down. At the stern it's just going to continue on off straight, no need to make any cuts there. So start the wood strip about 1/4" past the end of the stern. At the bow, eventually you are going to run into the curve that goes up and up and up. Just lay the strip down so that it's laying snug against the bulkheads and as tight as you can against the keel. Now eye the profile of your ship, look at it exactly side on and twist the wood strip a bit so that it's lying aside the keel as flat as possible. You'll see an arc where the rabbit is...now cut that arc into that wood strip. Who cares if you muff it at first, but eventually you'll end up with a strip with a slight arc cut into the end which lays down nicely into that rabbit.

You'll have to soak that strip in hot water to get it nice and pliable, because even with that nice arc you carved it's gonna take some twisting to get it to lay down flat. Then glue as you wish. Every suceeding strip will snug up into the garboard one by one.

Looks great! Just starting this kit, not sure of the type of glue to use. Any recommendations?

Back