Model Shipways Massachusetts Privateer Rattlesnake

Still having problems getting the 8 sides even. I'm going to make some kind of a jig to do it.

Also, I don't know what kind of wood this is. I picked it up at Home Depot, from Vietnam. It is actually pretty good to work with. The oak dowel, not so good.

View attachment 287188
Looks like you need to change techniques. If you can place a square wooden dowel in the vice, supported by forms (dark brown) at 45 degrees. File the corner edge to create a new facet on the yardarm dowel until the file contacts the top of the vice jaws. Rotate the dowel 180 degrees and file another facet using the forms to hold the dowel. The depth which you place the dowel is important, because that determines how wide the facets are. After these two you can remove the forms and place the dowel back in the vice after rotating it 90 degrees, such that the facets you just cut are now contacting the jaws of the vice. Set the depth of the dowel carefully, not too shallow from the top of the vice, and clamp the dowel in place. File the third facet, flip the dowel over and file the final facet and now you have an octagonal dowel. Place the dowel in a lathe or drill and sand the outboard ends round.

1643490469994.png

Alternatively, you can start with a round dowel. The faceting process is the same, but the amount of material you need to sand on the outboard ends of the yard is less than starting with a square dowel.
1643491332596.png

I finished the main top ratlines. Before I put the 2 final stays on the main mast, I figured I should put the halliards in. The diagram on the directions weren't detailed enough. Same issue with the practicum from LSS. I ended up ordering some books.... interesting books but the one that I was able to find the answer in The Ship Model Builders Assistant. With all of this knowledge from the books, I just might do sails.20220403_134850.jpg20220403_125307.jpg20220403_125316.jpg20220403_125345.jpg20220403_125441.jpg20220403_125630.jpg

I've decided on how I'll do the fore and main arms. I'm going to go with what the author says is pre 1820s. Rope sling in the middle, parrel straps holding it to the mast, braces, and lifts.

View attachment 301456

View attachment 301457

View attachment 301458

View attachment 301459

View attachment 301460

View attachment 301461

View attachment 301462
Good morning Paul. Awesome job on the yard. You got the detail spot on. I enjoy the saddle which fits into the mast, will help with the alignment when you fit these. Well done. Cheers Grant

This took a little longer than I anticipated. I secured the arm using a rope sling, parrel straps & yard tackle. The lower yard lifts and jackstays were pretty straight forward. The reef tackle, clew garnet, leechlines, and inner/outer buntlines weren't as difficult as I thought once I figured out how to make them. I still have to make the rope coils for the belay pins and the braces. I'm going to move on to the foremast now before I go vertical. I ordered some more tools to help with the rigging.

A pretty big learning curve for me.283234627_10228890641956502_2096723889504521422_n.jpg

This took a little longer than I anticipated. I secured the arm using a rope sling, parrel straps & yard tackle. The lower yard lifts and jackstays were pretty straight forward. The reef tackle, clew garnet, leechlines, and inner/outer buntlines weren't as difficult as I thought once I figured out how to make them. I still have to make the rope coils for the belay pins and the braces. I'm going to move on to the foremast now before I go vertical. I ordered some more tools to help with the rigging.

A pretty big learning curve for me.View attachment 309728
Good morning Paul. I think you are ahead of the learning curve for sure . Wonderful work . Looking lovely. Cheers Grant

I started the build on 26 December, I'm really enjoying it.

I didn't do an inventory of the parts in the box, I figure if something is missing, I'll order it.

I did get the Model Shipways jig, which helped prep me for beginning the build. As simple as the jig is...you have to fill in the blanks with the directions. It also gave me an opportunity to remember how easily the wood break. So far, I'm happy with the jig, the only pain is that when locking the jig, you need a pair of needle nose plyers to hold the bolt as you're tightening the butterfly nut.

View attachment 206746View attachment 206747
Hallo @PGN
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back