Model Shipways Massachusetts Privateer Rattlesnake

Just wondering....what species of wood is that? Hardwood? Softwood?
Bass wood, picked it up at the local hobby store. I think I was angling the wood wrong. Was a lot of work just to have it destroyed. I don't think I can get the 8 sides carved out if I round the wood first.

I also picked up some thicker dowels, not sure what type of wood they are but they aren't bass. I'll see if I can do something with those.

Just wondering....what species of wood is that? Hardwood? Softwood?
The hairy areas where it was sanded makes me think it is cheap basswood. Replacing it with poplar dowel would be an improvement. Poplar can be very white or a darker gray or brownish gray. I like the darker ones. They take less stain to look like dark timber and the grain is finer, so sanding it doesn't turn it into a furball.

Something that really made me think today. At the hobby shop, dedicated, not a chain store. They only had balsa or bass, not a big deal, I'll check out to Home Depot tomorrow and see what they have.

What really saddened me was I looked around at the other models. There were some good plastic models of tanks, ships, and cars. The prices were unbelievable. USD $40 was the base price for everything. From there it went up to a couple hundred dollars. A Tamiya 1/35 T-62 was 40, a Tamiya.T-72M was 130. When I was a kid, you.could find models at most drug stores. The higher quality ones were at hobby stores but those were around 15-20 USD. You could also get to the stores by taking a bus. Now, the dedicated hobby stores; you need to get mom or dad to drive you.to and then the prices are through the roof.

Sad, very sad.

Something that really made me think today. At the hobby shop, dedicated, not a chain store. They only had balsa or bass, not a big deal, I'll check out to Home Depot tomorrow and see what they have.

What really saddened me was I looked around at the other models. There were some good plastic models of tanks, ships, and cars. The prices were unbelievable. USD $40 was the base price for everything. From there it went up to a couple hundred dollars. A Tamiya 1/35 T-62 was 40, a Tamiya.T-72M was 130. When I was a kid, you.could find models at most drug stores. The higher quality ones were at hobby stores but those were around 15-20 USD. You could also get to the stores by taking a bus. Now, the dedicated hobby stores; you need to get mom or dad to drive you.to and then the prices are through the roof.

Sad, very sad.
There are premium hobby shops that carry walnut and cherry and basswood strips in various sizes. One of them is Hub Hobby. Model railroad hobby shops also carry wood strips in addition to brass and styrene strips. The scarcity of wood strips goes along with the scarcity of this type of hobby.

Sad, very sad.
Our Walmart has Birch dowels too. In the Crafts Section. Basswood is very soft when it comes to turning.

I started the build on 26 December, I'm really enjoying it.

I didn't do an inventory of the parts in the box, I figure if something is missing, I'll order it.

I did get the Model Shipways jig, which helped prep me for beginning the build. As simple as the jig is...you have to fill in the blanks with the directions. It also gave me an opportunity to remember how easily the wood break. So far, I'm happy with the jig, the only pain is that when locking the jig, you need a pair of needle nose plyers to hold the bolt as you're tightening the butterfly nut.
Hallo @PGN
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Still having problems getting the 8 sides even. I'm going to make some kind of a jig to do it.

Also, I don't know what kind of wood this is. I picked it up at Home Depot, from Vietnam. It is actually pretty good to work with. The oak dowel, not so good.

20220129_131427.jpg

Back