Model Shipways Massachusetts Privateer Rattlesnake

Nothing to report tonight, working on the bow sprit area......trying to figure out how to do it. I really don't want to secure the bow sprit and gammoning now because there is too much maneuvering required to set up the gun deck bit at the same time......I think I need to get that area built before my oldest shows up on leave and begins the cannons...

Ken, your HMS Fly looks awesome. Thanks for sharing, it looks like a good next step for me.
Hi Paul, If your interested there is a very good build log here of the HMS Pegasus, by stgcs, this is the same kit by Amati, the only difference is that it has a bit extra, like copper plating etc, but more expensive. A good guide to follow if you decide to build the Fly

Hi Paul, If your interested there is a very good build log here of the HMS Pegasus, by stgcs, this is the same kit by Amati, the only difference is that it has a bit extra, like copper plating etc, but more expensive. A good guide to follow if you decide to build the Fly
Thanks Ken

Tonight I built the head rails... came out okay, will do better next time. I really had to think ahead about placing them to make sure it wouldn't interfere with future work in that area.
Hi Paul. Only this week I did the head rails on my HMS Ajax so I know just how difficult it is to to get right so well,done. I’ve shown in my log how I did it.

Is it Knee, cheek, knee of the head, cheek knee...... I'm not sure but for this tale of woe, I shall refer to it as cheek.

After seeing Ken's cheeks on the Ajax, I realized my cheeks were too cheeky. I sanded down the starboard cheeks and rebuilt the rail head. I think it is a slight improvement from when my cheeks were full.20210307_201542.jpg20210307_203115.jpg20210307_203210.jpg20210307_203221.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Paul. Thanks for visiting my log and for your kind comment. I’m the same as yourself, I look through build logs and always see things that I could have done better and then feel the need to amend what I had done, this will happen at every level. Your first build will be the most difficult, your in new territory and you really don’t know what to expect. With your second build you’ll wonder why you had so many problems, it’s a rather steep learning curve but with the effort that I can see that your making you’ll end up with models that others will admire
Well, that's very cheeky of you. :) I'm just glad this ship doesn't have the level of detail that yours does....I would be redoing everything....... on the plus side, now the dog on the starboard side can see were the boat is going....

Hi Paul. They look very nice, I’ve not seen them come in strips like that before, a better idea than the short type that usually come with kits.
First lesson; wet the strips before you put them together. Did some sanding of the port side knees tonight. Not much work, my son came home from college to get his suit. He has a job interview tomorrow at 15:00 at the Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia (CHOP). It's about a 7 hour round trip for him to pick up the suit. I told him to buy a new one in Philadelphia instead of driving down here. No classes tomorrow so he drove down anyways.

I think he wanted to see my expression when he told me that he is applying for an EMT position. CHOP is one of the top childhood cancer hospitals here. He had a 3 year battle with cancer when he was 5-8. He is now 19.

Busy couple of days. Tomas got the EMT job at the Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia. Pretty big deal for a college kid and a bigger deal for families of the kids that he will be transporting. Many of which will be fighting life ending battles as he did.

Now to the ship. I finished the port head rails; before & after picture. I made some more gratings.....now that I have an abundance of grating. I also made the anchor beds.20210306_233848.jpg20210310_214434.jpg20210310_195115.jpg20210310_191326.jpg20210310_202854.jpg20210310_204606.jpg20210310_204624.jpg20210310_204844.jpg20210310_204908.jpg20210310_204858.jpg

Last edited:
Busy couple of days. Tomas got the EMT job at the Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia. Pretty big deal for a college kid and a bigger deal for families of the kids that he will be transporting. Many of which will be fighting life ending battles as he did.

Now to the ship. I finished the port head rails; before & after picture. I made some more gratings.....now that I have an abundance of grating. I also made the anchor beds.
Hi Paul, First congratulations to Tomas on his success, obviously the suit did the trick. It’s good to see ones children do well, it’s obvious that your very proud of your kids and rightfully so.
Your build is coming together very quickly, your making rapid progress, it’s looking better each time that I see it, I think that you’re getting more confident as you go forward.

Now to the ship. I finished the port head rails; before & after picture. I made some more gratings.....now that I have an abundance of grating. I also made the anchor beds.
Hello Paul, Congratulations to your son! A job that is oriented toward helping others is to be commended. He must have good parents!

Reactions: PGN
Oldest daughter is arriving from Spain on Saturday....... she has 3 weeks at home before she reports to Sothern Command. She will be working on the cannons.27624737_10215661209508959_4810595857040094339_o.jpg159720344_10225927692604620_7783906091734805546_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back